:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Strategy :: The Galconite's Toolbox

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 3 1   2   3 

The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 6, 2010 @ 6:07pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

The Galconite's Toolbox

Goal: to provide case studies and discussion points for promoting and furthering Galcon Game Theory.

Do's:  join in the discussion, read, learn, post and share your own ideas and theories.

Don'ts:  flame, verbally attack, or otherwise be a nuisance.

Disclaimer:  Topics and discussion in this thread should cover "Game Theory" exclusively.  This includes topics relating to Strategies, Tactics, How-to's, Why's, What for's, and Because's.  This excludes things like Wrong ways, Right was, Stupid ways, and the various right or wrong performances of individual players.  

May the Best Theory Win!

Other Reference Materials
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Noteam_Forums/pages/guide_to_galcon/ 
A brief introduction to Galcon By No Clan

http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/1898/ 
The Prisoner's Dilemma And iGalcon By Deuce

http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/15/2711/ 
Tinny's reign of terror

http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/1907/ 
Planet IPCRESS
post updated on May 4, 2011 @ 8:49pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 6, 2010 @ 6:08pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

Identifying The Cluster in 2v2

When a 2v2 game first opens, the very first thing you need to identify, are the key planets that will change the balance of power, or that whoever owns, will eventually win.  I have provided 4 game opening maps, each of which has an identifiable cluster of planets that whoever owns, will win the game.  

If you are the lucky one to be nearest to that cluster, it is your job to maintain ownership of it.  If you are the unlucky one, it is your job to acquire ownership of it.

What does it mean to maintain ownership?  

In 2v2, it means DO NOT attack until at least HALF of the total number of ships from all players have been expended.  Except in rare cases, if you simply hold onto those planets and weather the storm of ships heading your way, you will have won.  Only when overall ship count from enemy players is low enough to be countered sufficiently by your high production rate of NEW ships can you send small fleets out on attacks.

What does it mean to acquire them?  

In 2v2 battles, it means BOTH you and your partner must concentrate your ships into that area in an attempt to take them.  This does not mean sending 100% of your ships into a massive die off however - which most likely will fail.  If you both sent 100 ships at the cluster, you still may not capture it because your ships require travel time, and your target planets are producing more ships for your enemy while they travel.  So forcing a massive ship die-off at this stage, basically means you loose.  In order to win this game, you need to work together to tip the BALLANCE of ships in that area, to your favor. 

Think about how many ships that cluster is making every second.  10, 15, 20 ships?  As a bare minimum, you will need to send 100% of 1 of your home planets at it, PLUS,  Double that figure from your Allies home planet.  So basically you and your ally need to send one 75% shot each at the cluster, or one of you sends 100% and the other one sends 50%.  

After those moves, you now have a secondary objective: take out their resupply lines.  Remember, whoever is holding the cluster shouldn't send out attack fleets or risk loosing the cluster... which leaves their partner at risk of being taken out.  If that player sends more reinforcements to the cluster, you will be forced to send more ships to the cluster as well to regain the balance of ships in that area.  All this will be happening in a matter of seconds, so you must be quick in your actions.

How to take out the remaining enemy...  this will require you and your partner to coordinate with each other using very quick moves.  Whoever is closest to that players base should send out a 75% attack fleet, and whoever is farthest from that player should send a 25% or 50% support fleet to the planet your partner just launched from (because its now weak, the enemy may send a fleet towards it). 

Ideally, if done right, you and your partner should either have gained control of the main cluster, or all of the outlier home planets, or both.  

If you control 1 or the other, but not both, you now have to move to the Dog Fight phase of battle.  More on that later.  :)
post updated on May 4, 2011 @ 8:53pm
Re: The Musician's Toolbox :: Mar 6, 2010 @ 7:08pm

Cabin Boy manutd

There are too many of these threads.
Re: The Musician's Toolbox :: Mar 6, 2010 @ 7:10pm

Cabin Boy txgangsta

People get yelled at on the first one made...
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 7, 2010 @ 12:15am

Cabin Boy the_musician

Your right manutd.  Since I want other peoples input and posts and contributions here instead of just my own, I'm renaming this thread to The Galconite's Toolbox instead.
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 7, 2010 @ 4:44pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

The Dogfight

The end games in both FFA or 2v2 often come down to just 2 players battling it out with what little resources they have left.  Both sides are relative evenly matched in planets - usually on opposite sides of the map - and both are very low on ships.  This is where even a very slight advantage in production matters more then anything.  And this is where most people tend to loose the game.

How do you loose a Dogfight? 

Simple.  Send too many ships, or send too little ships.  Either option is just as deadly.  You have three equally important goals.  Fail to work any one of them better then your opponent, and you loose.

Goal #1 - Protect the planets you have from being captured

This means switching to 50% and continuously sending multiple small fleets around to support any and all planets of yours that are under attack.  This is where learning to identify the amount of ships in a fleet based on its size is vitally important. Send too many reinforcement ships to a planet under attack, and you weaken the defense of others, but send too little, and you have a fight to regain it.  

How do you do this correctly?  By understanding fleet sizes, production rates and travel time.  If a fleet of 10 ships is 1 second away from a large planet that currently has 14 ships on it, you can safely send 50% from that planet to reinforce another one.  That large planet will be able to produce 3-4 ships within that second and be able to just barely defend against that fleet of 10 ships.  That's all that is required at this stage...  defense and reinforcement is key.  

Note:  keep in mind while sending reinforcement fleets somewhere...  they have to reach their target planet in time!  It is always better to travel from planet to planet in a chain, then it is to send directly to a long distance target and let the ships travel through open space to get there.

If you have the advantage in production, this is all you need to do to eventually win the game.  If the advantage is not that clear, then you have some extra work to do and need to move to goal...

Goal #2 - Gaining the upper hand in ship production

I once saw DieHappy win a game that I thought was totally unwinnable.  He stuck through an intense close quarters dogfight in the middle of a 3 to 1 production difference stacked hard against him.  He ended up winning.  How?  Because he correctly decided to reverse that production difference BEFORE he went on the offensive.  This is key, so let me repeat:  BEFORE going on the attack!  It took about a full minute of fierce determination to ward off attacks while also acquiring a few more easily capturable neutrals around him (Three larges costing 15 to 20 each).  Each time he captured one neutral, he would be in a ship count disadvantage for about another 20 seconds - the rest of his planets around him were almost always hovering right around the 0 ship count as he used their ships for defense.  Finally, after about a full minute of this, he had 1 more planet then his opponent and had gained the production advantage.  10 seconds later, he won.

Goal #3 - Going on the offensive

Unfortunately, most of the time there are no good neutrals to go for in order to tip the production scales your way.  So, to satisfy Goal #2, you HAVE to go on the offensive first and capture a planet from your opponent.  You will need to concentrate your ships against the planet you think will be the easiest to capture.  However, this does NOT mean switch to 100% and go for broke...  which is a sure fire way to loose.  This means use the combined production of all the planets you currently own and send a large fleet at that target planet you want to capture.  To create that large fleet, you have a couple options.  1) do a select all and send 25% or 50% from all planets to the planet you want to SEND your attack fleet from, or 2) switch to 100% and send everything from 1 large planet (switching back to 50% when done and replenishing it from other nearby planets).  Last option here is to switch to 25%, select all planets, and send from all towards your target planet - use this technique only of you want to "soften up" a target planet first.  I've also used to as a feint or a bluff.  Get your opponent to send reinforcements to that planet, while you launch your main fleet at another one on the opposite side.

This may or may not succeed on your first try.  However, doing this every 4 or 5 seconds will force your opponent to concentrate their ships onto that target planet you are after - weakening their defense of others which you should take full advantage of.  

Final Thoughts:

Occasionally in 2v2, you will find yourself in a situation where your stuck in a corner, your partner is getting whittled down to nothing, but you cant get there in time to help.  This is where you need to make a judgment call about staying in the corner and helping your ally, or switching to 100% and sending everything you have to the opposite end of their battle and targeting your opponent from behind.  Your ally may get wiped out, but you will now be in a better position to continue to fight from the enemies unprotected rear.

Also in 2v2, lack of coordination during the Dogfight stage between you and your ally is typically where teams loose.  The best thing to do in cases like that, is to surrender your planets over to your partner and hope he/she can win it for both of you.  Often times, I do this first by sending out a 50% fleet, and then surrendering, giving those planets up to my ally.  I am still in the game and can provide key reinforcement if needed or key captures when the enemy is low in ships on a particular planet.

Finally, a scenario that looks bad but is actually very winnable:

In this screen capture, it sure looks like Blue is done for and cant win.  4 large planets against 3 medium ones.  Any sane person would call it quits right there!

How'd he do that?!?!?  Well...  you notice how all 3 enemy homes are sending streams of ships instead of larger fleets?  This means they are empty and relying on production of new ships only.  Combine that with the distance those new ships must travel before striking their target, and the fact the Blue's planets are MUCH closer to that target then they are....  and you have a golden opportunity for a capture.  3 home planets produce MORE then Blues 3 planets, but the travel time involved for those ships reverses that production difference enough.  Blue's ability to concentrate enough ships into 1 mid sized fleet becomes more powerful then the opponents ability to out produce him.  Once that planet is captured, production bonus switches to Blues favor and its now a 4 planet cluster to 3 spread out home planets.
post updated on May 4, 2011 @ 9:12pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 7, 2010 @ 5:02pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

Hazard Alert!!

What would you have done to win this game?
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 7, 2010 @ 5:20pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

What would you have done to win this game?

Normally, I would have done exactly what Blue did...  take that gigantic large 1 and its medium 0 planet and hold on for dear life.

But upon further examination, it appears that move would almost always fail in this map.  Why?  Because Purples reinforcements would always arrive to late to make any difference - even assuming he sent 100% towards Blue instead of at White.  Those neutrals in the way simply pose to great of an obstacle to overcome.

Now...  I'm thinking the best move here would be for Blue to move OUT of the center of the map and force his enemies there instead.  Totally counter intuitive I know.  

If Blue captures that 1, then that 0, then continues charging on NORTH towards Green (ok, sorry, the actual color names here aren't exactly typical I know), taking him out in a quick rush, then this game might actually be winable at that point...
post updated on Mar 7, 2010 @ 5:21pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 7, 2010 @ 6:25pm

Cabin Boy txgangsta

I would like to add that if your in one of these dogfights, if you are sure of having the production advantage, you are not forced to move. It might not be a bad idea if you can successfully defend your position.

If you are down in production, send all you got (or most). You will lose otherwise.
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 8, 2010 @ 8:35pm

Cabin Boy pk.56

The center of attention is in your zone. I would capture the 2 planets and camp .
You gain more production and can counter any kamikaze attack with small capture fleets.

The final outcome : you capture the north zone. 
Your partner secures 2 planets while both enemy merge into your original position.

Normally, purple can finish the game while you defend your position.
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 8, 2010 @ 9:15pm

Admiral strangelove

excellent analysis pk.56.  when you are about to die because you're getting double-teamed, and your partner hasn't arrived yet, you _MUST_ at least switch with the enemy, IOW: take the enemy's weaker position from them.
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 13, 2010 @ 3:18am

Cabin Boy the_musician

FFA Stalemates & The Concept of Balance

Galcon is about balance and the desire to imbalance.  It is about how individual people, given equal resources but unequal abilities to utilize them, choose to play.  It is about how one copes with both a beneficial and a not so beneficial setup.  It is about ignoring the entire concept itself of winning and loosing in favor of focusing exclusively on strengths and weaknesses.  This game, is about finding ways to exploit strengths and accentuate weaknesses... hopefully to your own advantage.

In 2v2 games, this concept of symmetry in power can more easily be ignored and overcome by the temporary localized concentration of power instead.  This ability to at least temporarily overcome an overall greater force in a very localized fashion, forces an action/reaction element to occur that is missing in standard FFA games.  Because of that, I will not focus on standoffs for 2v2 games as they are almost non-existent.

With regards to FFA games, I have seen 4 player standoffs, 3 player standoffs, and 2 player standoffs.  A standoff is due exclusively and unequivocally to a perceived symmetry of power.  Nothing else.  Players who find themselves in a standoff somehow must create an imbalance in the game in order to get out of that standoff.  Period.  All tactics concerning standoffs fall into 2 categories:  they either deal with the perception of power, or the actual accumulation and/or application of it.

Three player FFA games are going to happen.  There's no use avoiding them - even in 4 player games your bound to run into them fairly often.  So instead of avoiding them or taking the easy way out and suiciding your least favorite player...  learn to win at them instead!   Winning the three player game is an art form - it combines all the traditional Galcon tactics, throws in a heaping truckload of Psychological ploys and then bakes in a pressure cooker of boredom and impatience.  The 3 player FFA is arguably where the longest matches are had.  

Here are some tactics you can use to keep the game progressing without putting you at a disadvantage. Each tactic is categorized by whether it is dealing with the perception of power or the actual application of it.   The ones dealing with perception revolve around psychological ploys and misdirection's,  while the others deal with lowering your opponents actual threat to your power.

In my next post, I will go into detail on each one listed above.
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 13, 2010 @ 3:22am

Cabin Boy the_musician

3 Player FFA Tactics

The "Poor Me"

This tactic is a psychological ploy.  In a 3 way stalemate, the last person to attack often wins because their ship power has not been depleted in battle yet.  This is an attempt at changing that dynamic though misdirection.  It is very hard to pull off.  To do this properly, you will need to have slightly more ships then the other two players involved, but not enough to take them both out at the same time.  So you may see this tactic used often by the biggest player on the board. Essentially, the goal is to place 2/3rds of your ships into one planet, preferably a small one located away from potential battle, and spread the remainder evenly across the rest of your planets.  Then initiate attacks from one or all of those planets (triple click on the planet you don't want to use. This selects all then deselect that one) towards one particular player.  The goal is to get either enemy player to attack those planets and take them over.  As soon as they do, they will appear larger then they really are (initially at least), and the remaining 3rd player must decide to ignore this potential bigger threat or act on it and try to take those planets for themselves - creating a mini-battle over your planets which hopefully results in both enemies becoming even more weaker then they were before.  A lot of times, the Turtle tactic can be used to do the same thing, but generally speaking, the psychological ploy of Turtling is greatly reduced compared to this technique.

The "You First"

This tactic is used often, but rarely with the intended results.  The goal is to entice a reluctant camper into action by indicating what you would like them to do.  You do this by sending out a smallish fleet of ships heading towards the planet you wish action to originate from - I'll call that player the "Proxy" -  then redirect that fleet right before hitting it and sending your ships instead into and hitting the planet you wish that player to target - I'll call this player the "Target".  A variation I've seen occasionally is to have that fleet hit the targets planet, but before the fleet is all gone, either redirect it back to your planets, or repeat the back and forth communication once more with the Proxy before expending the remainder of your ships.   This is rudimentary communication of "please do this".  The main draw back to doing this are two fold.  First, it telegraphs what your intentions are to that 3rd player, and second, it puts you as the instigator of a battle.  The Proxy may or may not choose to do what you wish them to do - they may even decide to attack you instead.  Or the Target may decide to change it up in a different way entirely.    

The "Turtle"

This particular tactic has many variations to it, but the principles behind each one of them are the same.  The goal is this: make it appear necessary for the 3rd player to get involved and commit their forces to battle against the 2nd player before they get too big and too strong.  This can be accomplished in several ways.  The easiest is launch 100% of your ships from all planets at once towards a particular target planet, then surrender before hitting that target.  With all of your ships in the air, all your previous planets should turn neutral gray when you surrender.   Then your ships hit and move into their target planet.  You have several choices when choosing a target.  Target a large planet if you plan on staying on that planet for an extended amount of time - this allows you to keep producing more ships.  Target a small or tiny planet off in a corner somewhere if your main goal is to "disappear" from action - i.e. go off the radar for a while and let the two remaining players go after each other instead.  If a neutral planet exists still, choosing that will send a signal to both other players that your "non-aggressive", while targeting a large Home planet from one of the players indicates that your making an Offensive move.

The "Leaky Faucet"

This tactic is used to De-Turtle a particular player.  It involves emptying a large planet of ships to a different planet, then sending a constant stream of newly produced ships from your empty one towards the planet a player has chosen to Turtle on.  The goal being to slowly reduce that players ship count over time without drastically altering your own ship count in the process.   This tactic is particularly helpful when 2 players combine forces and double up the ships being sent to a Turtled player.  That Turtled player will either have to move (see Hopscotch) or face being eliminated by the constant drip, drip of ships arriving faster then they can be produced.

The "Get a move on"

This tactic has two goals.  The first is to initiate some form of attack, just to get things going, and the second is to reduce the overall ship count of all players on the board.  A third smaller goal is to force a redistribution of ships to occur from both parties, allowing you to see which planets they are storing them on.  It is performed by sending a single large fleet towards one enemy, allowing it to attack and go into one of their planets, using up about a third of your overall fleet, then redirecting that fleet to the other player and doing the same.  Repeated back and forth as necessary to solicit movement from them.

The "I'm bored!" or The "Fluff"

This is a psychological ploy to both relieve boredom and convey a message to the enemy.  Fluffing is where you send lots of ships back and forth and all around your planets in a repeating pattern.  Allowing the amount of ships you have to be seen and that your aren't afraid of a little battle.  Many people have likened this to Peacocks fluffing their tail feathers in a show of power.  Fair warning: many people have also developed a keen sense of dislike towards whoever does this and may just attack you because your doing it.  Which leads into a modified fluff, called the "I'm Bored".  This is where you empty the ships from two small planets, preferably very far apart, and then pass a single small fleet back and forth between them.  Slowly, that small fleet will grow in size through ship production of the two small planets.  A sports analogy to this might be passing a ball from one hand to the other, back and forth. The slow growth of the fleet size is a good visual indicator of how long people are sitting waiting and doing nothing.  

The "Hopscotch"

This is a modified Turtle maneuver done repeatedly.  A player who Turtles is very obviously choosing to avoid confrontation rather then engage in battle.  Often times, this backfires and makes them the target of attacks instead.  In order to continue avoiding confrontation, that player may need to leave their current 1 planet home and choose another one.  Ideally, this would be both on the other side of the board and/or a planet currently controlled by a different player.  If there is a battle currently raging, a player who Turtles may begin to expand to nearby planets fairly safely.  However, doing so may call attention to you as a threat to the other players and they may begin focusing on you again.  In order to continue avoiding confrontation, you must re-concentrate your ships and "Hopscotch" to a different location to try again. If you are continually being targeted no matter where you go, you may have to resort to the MC Hammer tactic instead.

The "Ship of Doom"

This tactic enters into the gray area of bug exploitation, but is still a valid tool to use while playing.  On the iPhone/iTouch devices, there is a finite number of ships which can be displayed on the screen at the same moment in time.  When large ship numbers are being thrown around from planet to planet, the game utilized a fleet size scaling factor to keep the screen decluttered - representing large fleets sometimes by a single lone triangle.  You may use this to your advantage on occasion.  For example, when you see large fleets in the air, you may be able to reposition your own fleets as needed without the other players noticing.  Combining this tool with an MC Hammer, or Turtle tactic and you increase their effectiveness greatly.

The "MC Hammer"

This is also commonly known as the Launch & Hover technique but I prefer the MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" as more colorful and descriptive title instead.  The goal of this tactic is quite simple:  survive to fight another day.  To implement, switch to 100%, concentrate your ships into one planet, then launch towards the farthest planet from you.  While in flight and before your fleet arrives, redirect it somewhere else. Do this continuously until you feel is is safe to land somewhere.  Ships in the air can not be targeted or attacked.  For this reason, it is also a great place to put your ships if you are in danger of being eliminated from the game.  This may be used also as a technique to goad the other players into action - if they cant touch you, then what are they waiting around for?  However, if that is your goal, then you may have to continue hovering for quite some time until they get the message!  

The "Pounce"

This is probably one of my favorite techniques to employ.  The goal is to capture a highly visible or central planet located very close you which is controlled by your opponent, and then slowly return it back to them as they try to recapture it.  It is both a show of force and a warning to that player.  Another benefit is it lowers the threat level of that particular opponent - they will be less likely to use heavy force against you immediately afterwords.  Choosing the right planet is important - it needs to be fairly large to guarantee they will try to reclaim it, or centrally located so they cant ignore it.  You want a target planet with a small to medium sized ship presence on it - large enough to where they will feel the sting, but small enough to where neither of you are terribly weakened by the short battle over it.  To capture it, you want to select 2-4 planets of yours, switch to 100%, and "pounce" on your target during a moment of calm.  Note: if you do not successfully capture it, you will look like a fool, so make sure you send enough ships to succeed in owning that planet in one fell swoop.  Finally, when your opponent begins to send fleets back to re-capture it, you wait briefly, absorbing maybe 5% of the ships heading towards it, then send whatever ships remain back to your planets and back to safety again - letting your opponent reclaim that planet.  

----
more later
post updated on May 4, 2011 @ 9:13pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 15, 2010 @ 10:43pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

--reserved--
post updated on Mar 17, 2010 @ 3:38pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 17, 2010 @ 3:37pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

3 Player FFA - Its All About Timing

I was on the bus waiting for a game to start an ran into this fine example of a 3 player FFA done well by all parties.  I began clicking screen captures like crazy and edited them together into this animated gif.    

I was struck by how Red almost had a win here.  Red did everything correctly except for the last move.  When your in Red's position as being the weakest player on the board, you have 2 alternatives:  1) wait for the other two players to begin fighting, or 2) initiate some fighting with one of them.  Red probably tried to do the later near the very end, but failed to realize just how dangerous green was compared to them.  By "going for the jugular" of greens power base, rather then taking little planets green can live without, Red forced a head on confrontation instead.  Weakening Green however, just enough to where Blue could win.  When in Green or Blues position, you almost NEVER want to take down the weakest player all on your own, as that inevitably forces a 1 on 1 dual immediately afterwords, and with you now being the weaker of the two, it usually doesn't end well.

In the end, winning in a 3 player game comes down to proper timing.  

Side bar: notice how each player changes location throughout the game?  This is common in well played games.  Preserving your ship strength is always better then defending your positional advantage.
post updated on May 4, 2011 @ 9:16pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 17, 2010 @ 3:39pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

we still on page 1?!?!?  sheesh!  :)

If any of you have links to other threads discussing strategy or other topics you think might fit here, send me those links and I'll add them to the thread header.  I hope to eventually create a Glossary of helpful threads.
post updated on Mar 17, 2010 @ 3:45pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 31, 2010 @ 8:56pm

Cabin Boy sickoftrying

If blue has ten planets 
Red has eight 
you have four 
stalemate
you give red three of yours and retire all your ships to one
now red is growing faster than blue  and blue will not enjoy seeing this happen and will likely attack red before he grows. 
Red and blue fight and you win

what's that called? 
Typed on my phone sorry for formatting
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 31, 2010 @ 9:20pm

Cabin Boy the_musician

That sounds like a Poor Me mixed with a modified Turtle.  :)  I've seen it used very frequently actually... it has a fairly high success rate.  

However...  in the example you give...  Blue has 10 planets...  and has had them for longer then Red will have had 11.  That difference in overall total ship count will likely mean that blue still has more then red when they begin fighting.  As the smallest player, you will need to help out Red, at least initially, to counter Blues overall superior numbers.

Most people who use this technique, make the mistake of attacking to soon after the battle begins, or attacking the wrong player when they do start fighting.  The rule of thumb is: always attack the biggest player (in terms of ship count, not planet count), and only when the fleet sizes being sent back and forth are noticeably smaller then they were a few seconds ago.  And never, never, never directly into the middle of the action!!!  Always sweep the edges around the main fight first with multiple smaller fleets, holding your main force in reserve for the final push.  Even sending 2 small fleets to the other side of the board to capture a couple of planets there FIRST before going on your main offensive attack can be hugely beneficial.
post updated on Mar 31, 2010 @ 10:09pm
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Mar 31, 2010 @ 9:38pm

Cabin Boy fresh.baked

Ugh that 3p you posted was not a good game in my opinion, red was an over-zealous idiot who looked at greens huge planet count at the end and completely forgot the rest of the game. What red SHOULD have done is cool his jets with those planets in the top left corner and waited for blue to try to reclaim some planets. And if he didn't want to wait, it's really not that hard to stage a fake battle down in the right hand bottom corner inticing blue to mop up what you "lost" 

3p is so hard because people just can't keep track of counts. I've seen innumerable games lost by people who have enough ships just for a critical 15 seconds to sweep the whole board, but
are too hesitant to take the chance, thus prolonging the game forever because then the other two players are just trying to camp as long as possible to make an easy win into anyones game. 

And yeah, some people are on the opposite side and throw all their ships around the map when of course they don't have enough, but in the aforementioned tactics given by musician, it's pretty easy to counteract an overzealous player. And I will always be more forgiving towards an aggresive player than a turtle even when they pick out me to... Focus their attention ; ) it makes the game interesting, and I'm always astounded how vindictive people can get. It's like a sociology experiment or something. 

I like your thread
Re: The Galconite's Toolbox :: Apr 6, 2010 @ 4:00pm

Cabin Boy pk.hollander

Nice thread

Page 1 / 3 1   2   3 

You must sign in to post.