:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Strategy :: Bad behavior

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

Bad behavior :: May 5, 2010 @ 11:41am

Cabin Boy avrora

Hate to be "that guy" who kvetches on the forums, but I feel the need to vent about this, even though I'm probably not the first. 

We remember the extensive back-and-forth discussion about standoffs at the very end of the game: when a clear winner dominates the board and a clear loser is stuck on his last planet, but neither player will make the final move to end the game by winning or surrendering. There are some who insist it's the winner's job to finish up and win, others who say the loser should surrender, the bottom line is, either way it's terribly annoying for the other two players involved. 

Lately, I've observed another deeply irritating variation on this theme. In the situation above, after some dilatory movement, the stronger player will systematically abandon all but one small planet. The weaker player, tentatively, hopefully, will start to nab the planets on the board, one after another, until he controls all but one planet. Then the winner, with evident self-satisfaction, comes rushing back with his giant fleet and wipes the floor with him and backs him into a corner again. Amazing! What an utter delight! Like a child who has learned to use the toilet for the first time! And sometimes this process repeats, again and again. 

Earlier today I watched two players do this for maybe 5 minutes. I left the room, and when I returned maybe 10 minutes later, they were still at it! I'm not going to get into names, but suffice to say than one of the players was a one-stripe I actually respect a lot, and both of them were actually quite good players! This is to answer the obvious response: "just leave the room." I didn't want to leave--I wanted to play Galcon with those two! But instead I was subjected to this nauseating spectacle. 

Stronger player: I know, we get it. It's delicious, isn't it? Watching him eagerly try to climb back up, only to grind him to powder again with a thousand ships! What irony, what elegance... you retreat to one tiny speck, yet your MASSED FORCES are still STRONG ENOUGH TO DEFEAT HIM! Get over it. It's dumb and annoying. It's not visually stunning, or an exciting cliff-hanger, or a thrilling comeback. It's boring, predictable to watch, and utterly masturbatory. 

Weaker player: Stop going for it. You're not going to win. I've seen this pattern play out about a hundred times. Not once has the losing player made a successful comeback. After one player has sat on the entire board waiting for you to surrender for 5 minutes, he has thousands of ships. You look silly playing into your opponent's hands, taking all the planets, then getting crushed all over again. It's embarrassing. 

I hope others feel the same.
post updated on May 5, 2010 @ 11:46am
Re: Bad behavior :: May 5, 2010 @ 11:55am

1 Stripe Admiral matty

couldnt agree more
Re: Bad behavior :: May 5, 2010 @ 2:07pm

Cabin Boy bluefalcon

Not really, no.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 5, 2010 @ 2:38pm

Cabin Boy mozilla

Not really, no.

People like this ruin the game, there aren't enough players to just join other rooms so we're forced to deal with it. The sad thing is it will affect sales of the game. Why recommend a game that fosters a community of immaturity.

There are certainly ways to deal with this but it's apparently not what the clique want. Limit the number of ID's per user and tie them all into one account. Have ranked rooms where only those with enough experience are able to enter. How frustrating is it when you finally get 4 in a room only to have one new player who can't figure out that more planets equate to more ships. It's basically back to a 3-way at that point.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 5, 2010 @ 2:41pm

Cabin Boy eragmus

avrora:
"and utterly masturbatory"

haha, masturbatory? never seen it used like that before :D
Re: Bad behavior :: May 5, 2010 @ 5:02pm

Cabin Boy roxie

i agree with the majority of this thread they all ruin the game i just hate having to wait for them to finish being kids
Re: Bad behavior :: May 6, 2010 @ 3:41am

Cabin Boy toomacho

Bah. Nothing new. Everyone masturbates hahaha and everyone sometimes makes games last to long. Who cares?
Re: Bad behavior :: May 6, 2010 @ 4:35am

Cabin Boy roxie

you do
Re: Bad behavior :: May 6, 2010 @ 8:13am

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee
Yes, that is rude behavior. People, if you want to dink around like this, great! Just do it in a 1v1 server please. This isn't a bannable offense or anything, but it is annoying, so (like certain other things we don't do in public) keep it to yourselves on a smaller server.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 6, 2010 @ 10:25am

Cabin Boy toomacho

Hahaha yes please don't do it in public. Do it in a private server. Perverts!!!
Re: Bad behavior :: May 6, 2010 @ 10:56am

Cabin Boy avrora

Haha! Well I'm glad that, my creative choice of words aside, folks seem to agree.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 6, 2010 @ 11:50am

Cabin Boy periwink

"Have ranked rooms where only those with enough experience are able to enter"

i don't think this would change much your game experience.

Nice post, avrora, even though this has been around for years.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 7, 2010 @ 8:25pm

Cabin Boy bluefalcon

There are certainly ways to deal with this but it's apparently not what the clique want. Limit the number of ID's per user and tie them all into one account. Have ranked rooms where only those with enough experience are able to enter. How frustrating is it when you finally get 4 in a room only to have one new player who can't figure out that more planets equate to more ships. It's basically back to a 3-way at that point. 

I don't know who the clique is and I don't know what they want, but I don't know how you can possibly think any of your so called fixes would actually solve anything, or even make the game better. Do you seriously want to segregate all unexperienced players together and all experienced players together? Assuming you could come up with some set of rules to determine who belongs in what category, what do you think rooms full of unexperienced players are going to produce? Allowing new players to compete against experienced players is what helps new players learn. And what criteria are you going to use anyway? Total number of games played? Because me having played several thousand games means I couldn't POSSIBLY suicide or parade? How about rank? You seem to think rank is pointless, and even if you didn't I have no problem throwing away any number of stripes. They'd disappear in 10 days anyway.

The answer to your never ending thread starting over things you don't accept, and I know you don't want to hear this, is to stop playing FFA. Play 1v1 and 2v2, stay out of FFA games and lose most of the stress in your life. Play enough sandbox multiplayer games, hang out in enough forums, and the answer to all the problems in dealing with other live human beings is generally to just stop playing with them. On an overly grand scale, this is the internet. People are generally not going to meet your standards face to face, what makes you think they'll even try to care with complete anonymity?
Re: Bad behavior :: May 8, 2010 @ 1:45am

Cabin Boy avrora

Nice prose, and I agree that segregating expert and novice players isn't feasible and wouldn't be a good idea if it was. 

The acerbic tone of the weathered gamer is also well-taken, I doubt all of us have played thousands of games of Galcon or have your breadth of experience, I'm ashamed to say this is the first multiplayer gaming forum I've ever complained in. 

The last bit about FFA hits the hardest. I play almost exclusively FFA, and you're right, I don't think FFA players "want to hear it." A lot of the best players on here got fed up with FFA months/years ago and made a very public switch to 2v2 and 1v1. For me the tension and unpredictability of the 4-player interaction, the unwritten alliances and unexpected betrayals, the attempts by two weaker players to bait a third stronger one, are a major part of what makes the game exciting. It also allows for dumb, annoying behavior. But playing 2v2 means having to know about things like team switching, and having to rely on a partner, in short a whole other set of practical disadvantages. And I don't buy the notion that 2v2 requires "real skill" in a way that FFA doesn't. I keep playing FFA because it's more engaging, not because I'm frightened of taking the plunge into a more grown-up world. 

You're right, cynicism and a f*ck-you attitude online are generally the norm when dealing with people online. But there is a good amount of communication on this forum, especially for a relatively small community of players, and I don't see the problem in trying to lay out some basic ground rules and call out irritating behavior. Or even just mull and complain about it with other friends who play the game.  

Obviously a lot of players don't come here at all, and a lot of the ones that do won't care about what's said one way or another. But there's no harm in trying, and you yourself, an experienced player, obviously read and think about what's posted on here. If we don't like all the endless problems in FFA, why don't we stop complaining ceaselessly about them in the forum and just stop playing FFA? "We" might respond that if you're so bored of our repetitive, moralizing whining about FFA and our dumb ideas for fixes, why read the threads and bother responding, even with terse one-liners? To help us answer life's big questions?
Re: Bad behavior :: May 8, 2010 @ 3:23am

Cabin Boy tinny

avrora, have my babies???
Re: Bad behavior :: May 8, 2010 @ 3:44am

Cabin Boy toomacho

Huh! What? I want more beers...
Re: Bad behavior :: May 19, 2010 @ 2:58am

Cabin Boy eqx

glad I've never seen this. if the stronger wants to play the weaker usually gives up.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 19, 2010 @ 10:34am

Cabin Boy 11235

avrora, do u visit sephora? cause ur aura.. doth blind me!
Re: Bad behavior :: May 19, 2010 @ 12:29pm

Cabin Boy pk.esparano

Another one is when the winner rotates thousands of ships between a few planets surrounding the loser's planet until the loser surrenders or the winner misclicks or gets bored.
Re: Bad behavior :: May 20, 2010 @ 5:50pm

Cabin Boy avrora

Haha, thanks you two. But unfortunately I'm a dude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.