Galcon 2 launched on Desktop and Steam and the iOS App Store! 655 players online!
:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Strategy :: So I pretty much hate this game... :S

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 9, 2010 @ 1:37pm

Cabin Boy coquiton

It seems like no matter what I do, I lose!

I never take anything stronger than 15 at the start unless I have no choice, and I always try to match the opponent's expansion. But it seems like the opponent always starts with 500 ships, because I always get outnumbered!

I try to mix it up by sending 50% of my ships at them right off the bat, but that ends in failure. I've even tried sending 100% but that ends in disaster!

No joke, for every 1 I win I lose 20.
Is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing, or not doing from what I described above?
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 9, 2010 @ 3:06pm

Cabin Boy ionizedfire

haha coquiton.  first of all, i looked at who you've faced so far.  not easy opponents, especially if you're just starting to play galcon.  toby, me, and asofspring (freshfrenzy) are about as tough as you get as opponents currently with the players out there. so don't be disheartened about a low% against people like that. 

but to improve your game, makes sure you are making moves very fast, and make sure you have a bigger production than your opponent. if you don't have a bigger production than your opponent, you gotta attack them or grab more neutrals.  how you do it and how fast you do is what allows you to win though.

(and also, give it time. experience is very important in galcon) : )

if you have any more question, you should come to the galcon chat room. there's usually tons of great players there that can help you. : )
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 10, 2010 @ 11:36am

Cabin Boy zmar01

Thats kind of the aim of the game to always have more ships than your opponent.

You cant expect to join galcon and get 50% no matter their skill.

Tinny recently bought out some stats.
90% of people have less than 50% wins. Im guessing thats in FFA. But still.

Try and avoid staying in a room with anyone who has a rank of above a blue flag.
At least for a few weeks.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 11, 2010 @ 3:35pm

Commander ipcress

In FFA, the two high-ranked players usually try to knock out the two lower ranked players so they can "finish up" the game between themselves.  You'll have to suffer through this "strategy" of theirs until you too get a higher rank.

The secret to winning FFA is to avoid combat for as long as possible.  This is known as "camping" and the multi-stripes are all masters at the art.  Sit and do nothing until the two higher ranked players eliminate the other weaker player.  Now it's a 3-player game, and this is where the fun really begins.  Get a bowl of popcorn, que-up some YouTube videos, and don't make any moves.  You'll notice your two opponents are doing the same thing.  Don't worry about the Standoff timer, as the experienced players already know how to cheat it by exchanging tiny planets. If someone attacks you during the Big Camp Out, launch ALL of your ships against him (called "suiciding") so as to allow the third player to win.  This will teach him not to mess with you in the next game.

Keep waiting.  This may take a long time, but if you want to rank-up in FFA, this is how it's done.  Develop your skills at shuffling your ships back and forth.  Launch fake attacks at other players.  Hover little fleets of ships around the board.  Keep waiting.  Hopefully, the two other guys will start mixing it up, at which point you are to keep waiting until their forces have thinned-out and you can finally move in for the kill. 

Good luck.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 11, 2010 @ 3:50pm

Cabin Boy zmar01

Excellent guide ipcress except the first bit. High ranks don't team up I rarely see teaming up. Only when it is obvious cheating. 

Ipcresses guide on getting high win% in FFA
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 11, 2010 @ 5:24pm

Cabin Boy Shiftyfive

IPcress is just about right. In fusion you can make an agreement to take out a player to make it a two way, but iPhone that seems rather unlikely without there being people in the chat room (and those are usually the skill guys). The problem is he missed out on the turtle ability and the fly-around-the-map-with-no-planets thing. The other thing you can do is force an off-balance, where you attack one player with about 10% of your fleet, making the thrid guy obviously stronger, and then team against him. I use verbal help here, but that is what has been working for me lately.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 2:23am

Cabin Boy zmar01

We cant use 10%
We can try and judge 10%

But the iphone map is small, if your not careful your ships will hit both corner planets, its hard to control that many ships on such a small screen.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 5:55am

Cabin Boy Shiftyfive

I'm not saying select all and use 10%, just use 25% from a few planets. If the other opponet continues to sit there, just every so often send that ships at them. This will be awesome if they turtle, and better yet if they attack the thrid player after a while (they'll need help). The only warning is don't do this against noobs, as they will fight you back.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 6:44pm

Cabin Boy coquiton

How about advice for 1v1? That's what I play.  I don't like 2v2 and FFA with 4 people just doesn't interest me.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 7:05pm

Cabin Boy roxie

what about 3_way?
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 7:34pm

Cabin Boy Shiftyfive

I'm a fusion guy, so i don't know anything other than my experience over there, a few numbers, and what I've heard from other iPhone guys. I do not believe I am well qualified enough to give advice about iPhone galcon. Message me if you really want my answers to questions, but otherwise make tinny, periwink, manutd, ion, or any of the other iPhone players do it =p

Edit: If its 1v1 or 2v2, ask IPcress. I would discern he would like to answer some strategy questions every now and then, and hes not a bad guy to ask either.
post updated on Jul 12, 2010 @ 7:37pm
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 7:44pm

Cabin Boy mm.crazy

If someone attacks you during the Big Camp Out, launch ALL of your ships against him (called "suiciding") so as to allow the third player to win.  This will teach him not to mess with you in the next game.

Actually, hehe they will just suicide you in the next game because they "could have won." I would recommend switching all your planets with them (only if you are both relativly the same size) and stand still, if they attack again give that jack@$$ a suicide.
post updated on Jul 12, 2010 @ 7:45pm
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 12, 2010 @ 11:13pm

Cabin Boy deuce

In FFA, the two high-ranked players usually try to knock out the two lower ranked players so they can "finish up" the game between themselves.  You'll have to suffer through this "strategy" of theirs until you too get a higher rank.

The secret to winning FFA is to avoid combat for as long as possible.  This is known as "camping" and the multi-stripes are all masters at the art.  Sit and do nothing until the two higher ranked players eliminate the other weaker player.  Now it's a 3-player game, and this is where the fun really begins.  Get a bowl of popcorn, que-up some YouTube videos, and don't make any moves.  You'll notice your two opponents are doing the same thing.  Don't worry about the Standoff timer, as the experienced players already know how to cheat it by exchanging tiny planets. If someone attacks you during the Big Camp Out, launch ALL of your ships against him (called "suiciding") so as to allow the third player to win.  This will teach him not to mess with you in the next game.

Keep waiting.  This may take a long time, but if you want to rank-up in FFA, this is how it's done.  Develop your skills at shuffling your ships back and forth.  Launch fake attacks at other players.  Hover little fleets of ships around the board.  Keep waiting.  Hopefully, the two other guys will start mixing it up, at which point you are to keep waiting until their forces have thinned-out and you can finally move in for the kill. 

Good luck.

Meh, it's true for the most part.. But the better players normally don't camp that hard.. Except Periwink... he's a camping whore :P

Anyone that use to play me in FFA knows that I have NO patience and would make the games last all of two minutes.. There is never any camping in a game with me.. Even with this, I managed to go 70%+ on all my accounts in FFA when I would be playing for stats.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 13, 2010 @ 10:27am

Cabin Boy periwink

"Except Periwink... he's a camping whore :P"

That's so untrue! I keep working my ass off to keep the game moving!

In 3-ways, if somebody attacks you, try jumping on the third guy to get a fun game where everyone attacks everyone
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 13, 2010 @ 4:09pm

Cabin Boy sbdxaric

You are all whores, whether you camp or not.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 14, 2010 @ 6:19pm

Cabin Boy roxie

quiet aric
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 14, 2010 @ 8:02pm

Cabin Boy ineverwin

Ionizedfire... I don't find asofspring, Toby, or any of those u listed as hard in any way lol
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 14, 2010 @ 8:46pm

Commander ipcress

Look at ANY ongoing FFA game and chances are everyone's just sitting around.  And that's the way IT IS!  
ALL of the officers do it.  I don't care about anyone posting here who says they don't.  You're full of it!  As soon as it becomes a 3-player game, all action immediately grinds to a halt and the player who can out-wait his opponents AND AVOID PLAYING will have a strong advantage.  It's not even really a "strategy game," but a psychological test to see who can tolerate more boredom than someone else.  The high-ranking Masters of the game will camp/turtle FOREVER in order to force the other two players to move first.

That's why FFA ranks are completely MEANINGLESS and signify nothing at all, except perhaps one's ability to NOT play the game.
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 14, 2010 @ 9:58pm

1 Stripe Admiral fresh_frenzy

Dot
post updated on Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:14pm
Re: So I pretty much hate this game... :S :: Jul 15, 2010 @ 5:51pm

Cabin Boy notpurple

lol I completely disagree ipcress I used to be god**** pro at FFA, its quite the intricate dance often times

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.