:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (2)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Strategy :: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board

You must sign in to post.

Page 21 / 22 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Apr 27, 2011 @ 3:36pm

Cabin Boy philhassey

The Developer
Hi,

Yeah, I can't host your rankings system here, because that would be an added security problem.  But here's a few suggestions:

- Make sure you index the columns that being queried against.  A missing index can make a query against that kind of data really slow.  During the launch of iPhone Galcon multiplayer, as well as Maze of Madness I had problems with that sort of thing nailing the CPU on this server.  

- You might consider using google apps, their hosting is free and their database design makes it so that you are basically forced to have a fast database (I think.)  Uses python.

Short of all that - I used to host my stuff at westhost.com and they are a pretty decent outfit and rather inexpensive.

Cheers!
-Phil
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Apr 27, 2011 @ 6:05pm

Lieutenant jazz

Phil!!

You shocked me into silence for a minute just by posting in this thread! Thanks!!  =)

The real problem the hosting company is complaining about are the multiple connections being made at once.  Over 8000 is what they said - which I can believe, because I'm importing each game separately, and each game imported uses one database call/connection to do so.  

It's their stupidly slow database server that queues connections while taking forever to process each one at a time, and you have over 8000 waiting connections that are draining the CPU time just waiting around. 

My local database server imports the previous hours games within 45 seconds flat.  The same code with the same indexes in their hosted environment takes about 25 minutes to import the last hours games.

It's obviously NOT the code that's the problem.  :(

Thanks for the leads on the hosting options.  I'll follow up on those.

I can use the existing hosting company to host the asp.net code and the User Interface stuff (that part is quick at least!), but its the Database I really need to find a good home for.
post updated on Apr 27, 2011 @ 6:07pm
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: May 8, 2011 @ 7:34pm

1 Stripe Admiral diebkstabber

What happened to stat warriors? I can't see it anymore, I haven't tried in a long time, did I miss something?
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: May 8, 2011 @ 11:01pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
From the previous page:

"So it looks like going to be down for a while.  I've still got my local database collecting game data, but as there is currently no way for me to host that publicly, the site will just have to be down until I can find a more permanent home for it."
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: May 11, 2011 @ 8:45am

Guess I didn't look back at the previous page, thanks marky your a gem of a guy.
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: May 11, 2011 @ 9:26am

Cabin Boy machotoo

If you guys need a "home" I can let you use mine in the mean time. I have  a pool, spa, massage table, pool table, big screen tvs etc etc etc.
 I can host all of you lol.
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: May 11, 2011 @ 10:51am

Cabin Boy liron...

post updated on Jun 20, 2011 @ 3:09am
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 15, 2011 @ 9:18am

Lieutenant jazz

!!!!NEW SITE!!!!

http://playtime.dyndns-server.com/LeaderBoard.aspx 

Its updated once an hour and contains a rolling 10 days worth of games.  

Its hosted from my local dev machine....  so please be gentle with it.  ;)

I was able to update the code to completely rebuild/rerun/recalculate the stats for all gametypes within about 11 minutes using the 10 day cycle.  When I set it to use a rolling 30 days worth of games instead, the update process takes about 70-80 minutes.  So for now, I'm keeping it at 10 days.

(keeping it at 10 days might also entice Phil to take a harder look at it and see if he can use it...  *wink* *wink*)

p.s. it still contains game data from when I first started this, but its only using the last 10 days worth of games for the leaderboard.
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:21am

Cabin Boy zmar01

awesome nice to have it up and running again :)
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 15, 2011 @ 5:46pm

Jazz you are the greatest!! I love stat warriors. Where is diebkstabber though? Oh yea not playing

Oh yea and goozok fixed the goozok problem, she got awesome, loads of fun to chat with and play with.
post updated on Jun 19, 2011 @ 11:47am
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 19, 2011 @ 2:29pm

Cabin Boy lrig

yayyyyyyy....
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 19, 2011 @ 7:31pm

Lieutenant goozok

Yayy I think I have earned my position?
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:47pm

Lieutenant jazz

For those of you interested....  here is a backup of the SQL Server 2008 database I'm using.  It contains everything I've worked on (database wise anyway) for this leaderboard - which means I haven't had a chance to clean out all the false starts and unfinished work yet.  ;)  so you will have to wade through it all to find to parts that are working right.

http://playtime.dyndns-server.com/Galconite_061511.zip 

Its 54mgs zipped and about 330mgs unzipped.

There are only a few procedure calls that do most of the work:

UpdateRollingGameData - this takes the latest 10 days worth of games from the storage tables and moves it to the staging table.

RefreshStatistics - this loops through every alias in the system and recalculates their stats based on the data in the staging table

sp_UpdatePlayerStatistics - this does the actual work of the above for each user it loops through.  This is where all the magic happens to figure out a players score.

RefreshLeaderBoard - once the above has been run, this procedure fires, which runs through all the adjusted Score values for each user and places them in the Leaderboard.

InsertMatchup - this is the "insert new game" procedure.  It gets called from a .Net database process and inserts all data for a particular game.  The data for this is parsed (using .Net) from Phils Game Dump file.

I'm in the process of updating this to work with the Fusion data dump file as well.

I'll try and post the .net code for all this a little bit later.
post updated on Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:47pm
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:21pm

Lieutenant jazz

Thought I'd be extra generous and post a text version of the procedure that does all the stats and score magic.  :)

http://playtime.dyndns-server.com/sp_UpdatePlayerStatistics.txt
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:21pm

Ensign Nanno

The Queen Bee
You're awesome, Jazz!  =)
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:49pm

Lieutenant jazz

Thanks Nanno!  I think you and Phil are awesome as well.  Though I had to take a break from things for a while to remember that...  lol

Also...  in case people round here dont have SQL Server 2008....  there is a free version you can download.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/express.aspx
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jul 21, 2011 @ 9:21am

Cabin Boy zmar01

Jazz this worked better over a longer period of time, have you still got it set to 10 days?

i honestly think it was better over say a month?

a few days ago this rank system rated me as exactly 200, when i was a 3 stripe.

in comparison there should have been 199 people who also should have been 3 stripe or better.
(dont comment on this, i know its bad)
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Nov 30, 2011 @ 7:54pm

Cabin Boy ripxsidekick

The site isn't working anymore, did he sell them all?
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Dec 3, 2011 @ 1:55pm

Lieutenant jazz

nah.  its still hanging around...  but the computer I used to host it is no longer present.  

Phil has all the code anyway.  If he wants to, he could incorporate it into his site.  It's up to him.
Re: Official Stat Warriors Leader Board :: Jan 18, 2013 @ 4:31pm

Lieutenant jazz

reviving an old thread....

I'm wondering if there is interest in me bringing this Leader Board back to life again?

It would have to be hosted from my personal computer because I have no way of paying for hosting service at the moment.  But with Galcon 2 now under way...  this might be a good time to rekindle the fire so to speak for a truly one-of-a-kind relational based ranking system rather than an arbitrary threshold based system.  It did solve all kinds of problems inherent to the current system Phil uses now.

Should I put the time into reviving this?

Page 21 / 22 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

You must sign in to post.