Page 2 / 3 1   2   3 

Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 28, 2011 @ 4:52pm

Cabin Boy i.love.noobs

" The game shouldn't be changed to most convenience you. "
Yes, it should.
post updated on Apr 28, 2011 @ 4:53pm
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 28, 2011 @ 4:56pm

Cabin Boy rhydon

I'm afraid not. However, if you really want it done learn to program and make a galcon clone that does it for you if it's that important to you.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 28, 2011 @ 5:00pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
No, it shouldn't. Galcon wasn't created to best fit the preferences of "i.love.noobs". (quote marks for syntactic clarity only) Just because you personally don't like 3-ways is not reason enough to remove a feature.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 29, 2011 @ 2:38am

Cabin Boy i.love.noobs

I'm afraid not. However, if you really want it done learn to program and make a galcon clone that does it for you if it's that important to you.

I already know how to program (and my Android apps have more installs than Galcon for Android). I was actually considering creating something like Galcon, but it's not a good idea... 
As for 3 ways - my guess is that the majority of players would prefer if they were disallowed.
post updated on Apr 29, 2011 @ 3:28am
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 29, 2011 @ 2:38am

Cabin Boy i.love.noobs

No, it shouldn't. Galcon wasn't created to best fit the preferences of "i.love.noobs". (quote marks for syntactic clarity only) Just because you personally don't like 3-ways is not reason enough to remove a feature.

Yes it should.
post updated on Apr 29, 2011 @ 2:39am
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 29, 2011 @ 5:49am

Cabin Boy rhydon

I already know how to program (and my Android apps have more installs than Galcon for Android). I was actually considering creating something like Galcon, but it's not a good idea... 
As for 3 ways - my guess is that the majority of players would prefer if they were disallowed.

I doubt this....either way it's a part of the game and has been for years. I'm not saying ignore it because that's the way it's always been but..I find them fun. And Also, how do you plan to stop them anyway?
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 29, 2011 @ 8:47am

Cabin Boy i.love.noobs

And Also, how do you plan to stop them anyway?

I didn't say I plan to stop them :D But possible solutions: 1) Write an email to the dev 2) Petition 3) Blackmail the dev
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 29, 2011 @ 11:29am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
"Yes it should."

Lol. Well, you keep on living in fantasyland and I'll bring you cookies every once in a while and check in with you to make sure you're still alive.

: P
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 29, 2011 @ 2:08pm

Cabin Boy i.love.noobs

"Yes it should."

Lol. Well, you keep on living in fantasyland and I'll bring you cookies every once in a while and check in with you to make sure you're still alive.

: P

Please, you don't have to do this :)
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 30, 2011 @ 6:24pm

Cabin Boy ipityu

*is laughing at the noobs who think that there is any amount of skill in a 3tarded game*

Listen noob - you're so called 'strategy' is a very pathetic attempt to trick a opponent into being the kingmaker in your favor.  It is not even a good strategy.  Any experienced player can see through it.  So unless the other half of your strategy is to only play noobs then -  well - enjoy staring at your screen in the vain illusion that you are actually doing something.  
Frikin 3tards...   You only have to peruse the rooms a little to see that 3tarded games Almost ALWAYS end with a suicide of one form or another.  
Someone asked why I don't stay long in a room.  IpityU never stays in a 3tard room.  TARD often does stay in 3tard rooms - and most often suicides the highet ranked player.  TARD does not care about his rank - he just wants to keep things moving.  He often plays in a manner to frustrate experienced players with substandard strategies and also tries to play in a way to help new players learn.   TARD also puts habitual end of game "paraders" on his 'friend' list so that he can recognize them later and treat them to similar shows!*  It is very gratifying to play as TARD!  : )

*my regrets to the other players in the room at the time. Really.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 30, 2011 @ 6:33pm

Cabin Boy swollenpig

The game only ends in a suicide if one of the players are not extremely skilled, no "skilled" player would suicide, as that makes winning impossible, maybe Igalcon is far different than fusion, but some of my favorite games have been fast three player games.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 30, 2011 @ 6:39pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
"In my understanding, a kingmaker scenario requires a player purposefully trying to decrease the strength of another so the third can win. This is not inevitable in every three player game of galcon. 3 good players can be conscious of an overall balance of power. The winning player is the one that can force the others to tip it in their direction. At its most "reasonable," this usually involves all three players periodically attacking both other players to attempt to keep the game in balance and not sacrifice the game to either until they reach a point that they can make an effective attack move against both, or bluffing about their numbers to force other players to make a (hopefully ineffective) attack move against them and the other player. 

Just because you looked up a term on wikipedia that occasionally applies to the more upsetting outcomes of a three-man game does not mean that all such games are inherently flawed."

Furthermore, you've yet to explain how this phenomenon magically only applies to 3-ways. Your argument seems to be "You're a tard [sic]". That is nearly vacuous, its only substance being personal attacks on those that disagree with you. 

Strategy in NvN and non-NvN games is nearly identical. (The rational parts are compeletely identical, as far as I can come up with) Unless "experienced players" are omniscient, completely rational, and stoic beings, irrational strategies will work on them just as well. 

Regardless, I have a feeling you have no intention of changing your opinion, so, bye!
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 30, 2011 @ 9:28pm

Cabin Boy ipityu

Ok n00b;  
You say; " At its most "reasonable," this usually involves all three players periodically attacking both other players to attempt to keep the game in balance "

We'll settle it like this :
You an I go into all the Galcon rooms and watch; every time a 3  player game is played as you describe I will give you a dollar.  In return - every time all players just sit and look at one another until one suicides you give ME a dollar. 

Really - unless you literally have more cash than you know what to do with I strongly suggest you do a few test runs by yourself first.   

Then maybe you will finally understand see why those players are called 3tards.  And if you don't by then... Well; get yourself alota ones - you're gonna need them!  :  )

The real sad part is - at the rate most 3tards play the money you'd pay me wouldn't even equal minimum wage!  Maybe we should up it to $50/game!
post updated on Apr 30, 2011 @ 9:33pm
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: Apr 30, 2011 @ 10:04pm

Cabin Boy swollenpig

I think you are confused, we aren't saying all games with three players is this way. Someone said that we should get rid of three player games altogether, and we are simply saying that with a good group, whose best intrests are fun, reasonable games, it can be extremely fun.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: May 1, 2011 @ 7:39am

Cabin Boy ipityu

It is you who is confused - What we are saying is that 3tarded game are very seldom as you describe.  In fact that is extrordinarily uncommon.  Most 3tard games are a complete waste of time.  The funny part is that the 3tards actually believe they are doing something cerebral at the time!

3tard games most often are a complete waste of time - an it isn't always the players fault - it is simply the nature of the game - it is not accomodative to 3 player starts. (though there is plenty evidence that most people also lack the faculties to understand the nuances of how to win this game)  

What we would like would be the ability to NOT have a game start with 3 players unless all players agree.  As it currently stands the only way to avoid a 3tard game is to quit right before it starts.  Sometime even that fails as a player joins or drops out at the last second - or you leave a moment too late and get a loss.
I am certain that if 3 way starts could be more effectively managed then the vast majority of players would avoid them. 
That wouldn't do much for 4 player games that devolve to 3 ways - but that is always a result of stupid play; No amount of coding can fix that - but only a little can fix the more common problem of 3 way starts.
post updated on May 1, 2011 @ 7:42am
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: May 1, 2011 @ 10:12am

Cabin Boy swollenpig

Ah, but what happens if no one is joining that new server, and someone refuses to play, while the other two are good with it?  Naturally, the third person won't be helpful and leave, so, the gameplay becomes a good deal more chunky as the other two (they could be noobs, and may not do this, thinking the game is just like this.) have to leave, for this one players pleasure. There are several other situations, but I thought the one was suffeciant.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: May 1, 2011 @ 11:12am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
The game shouldn't be changed to suit your own personal preferences. If I didn't like playing NvN games, would the appropriate decision be to block them from the game? Of course not.
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: May 1, 2011 @ 11:45am

Cabin Boy ipityu

LOL at both of you!   The 'change' would still allow you to be complete 3tards as much as you apparently like.  It wiill simply allow players who have already figured out the absurdity of those matches to effectively and efficiently avoid them.  (Which, contrary to your insistance, is a substantial number of players - not my 'personal preference' as you have proclaimed)
Certainly there will be occasions where a 3rd player will not want to accpet the stupid start scenario. In fact - that is the whole point!  I would expext that most people would prefer to wait for a fourth before starting.   If that bothers you - do what I do ; leave.  Go find some other 3tards to play with.  If you are correct and 3tard games are such brilliant fun you should not have any trouble finding one. However the game mechanics currently make it much more difficult, and potentially punishing, to seek out 4play games - and no player should be punished simply for trying to play 4play games.
post updated on May 1, 2011 @ 11:48am
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: May 1, 2011 @ 3:35pm

Cabin Boy swollenpig

No one is being punished, and I don't see why you are so hostile. If there are so many 3 player games, obviously people like it, more than waiting for the off chance that someone joins.
  What you propose is forcing a wait, just because a few people would rather look at the lobby screen, than play the game, and all I was telling you was that this plan had some problems with it, and instead of preposing fixes for it, you basically said we could just live with it, which is what you are doing now, thus people are still unhappy. If Phil is going to fix something, I want it to do more good than harm, and not just change the problem, from one thing to another.
     Also, why are you using the term "3tards"? It seems to be purely an insultary  term, which will only make people defensive, and hurt your chances of getting people to agree.
post updated on May 1, 2011 @ 3:36pm
Re: Thoughts on Galcon :: May 1, 2011 @ 5:01pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Your argument, modified to fit my hypothetical (Assuming I hate NvN games): 

"The change would still allow you to play [NvN] games as often as you apparently like. It would simply allow players [that don't like NvN games] to effectively and efficiently avoid them. (Which, contrary to your insistance, is a substantial number of players - not my 'personal preference' as you have proclaimed) 
Certainly there will be occasions where a (N*2)th player will not want to [play an NvN game]. In fact - that is the whole point! I would expect that most people would prefer to wait for a (N*2 + 1)th player before starting.   If that bothers you, do what I do, leave.  Go find [other players that like NvN games] to play with.  If you are correct and [NvN] games are such brilliant fun you should not have any trouble finding one. However the game mechanics currently make it much more difficult and potentially punishing to seek out [non-NvN] games - and no player should be punished simply for trying to play [non-NvN] games."

As you can see, this argument can be extended arbitrarily to any form of play. 

edit: Missed a pair of brackets.
post updated on May 1, 2011 @ 5:02pm

Page 2 / 3 1   2   3 

You must sign in to post.