:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Strategy :: Deep Impact

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

Deep Impact :: Aug 9, 2012 @ 3:00pm

Cabin Boy anduin

Secrets to what hurts the most and other tips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Hit the big planets first.
2. Mind your own big planets.
3. Use planets to send your ships quick.
4. Remember, formation of ship count is nothing,
The enemy may as well hit your core.
5. Do not expand too quick.
6. Listen to some fast paced music, it helps! Intense is extra.
7. When the dust settles, do a count of everyone's planets.
8. Do keep a low profile.
9. Practice always helps.
10. Never use 100%!!
Enjoy.
PS: dont throw your forces into a planet and leave it there! You willdie out!
post updated on Aug 9, 2012 @ 3:22pm
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:47pm

Admiral ipcress

The "secret" to winning FFA is CAMPING.  Period.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:51pm

1 Stripe Admiral sidekick

5*- Expand in comparison to your opponents.

11- Try to keep a large portion of your forces on the outer rings.

12- Try not to get involved. Ever. (Camp until you will obviously win.)

13- If all else fails, float, or survive somehow.
post updated on Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:54pm
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 9:37pm

Cabin Boy anduin

11- Try to keep a large portion of your forces on the outer rings.

The formation at which you assemble your forces is not a factor, defend your bigger planets first.

13- If all else fails, float, or survive somehow.

Is that even a tip at all??
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 11, 2012 @ 8:29pm

1 Stripe Admiral sidekick

Having your forces on the outer rings makes it so they're more prepared for an attack. You should also just defend all of your planets, not just the big ones.

Yes #13 is helpful to winning. On several occasions I've floated then came back and won.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 27, 2012 @ 1:39am

Cabin Boy being.here

A good player's strategy is generally this: Survive until the dust settles and be the biggest. Get a high ship count and win. If you are small after the dust settles, camp until the larger player throws some ships away and try to take the game then. If the larger player is smart and saves his ships and no one stops him, accept the loss and try to be the biggest next game. 

There is a divide between a player like this who is good, and a great FFA player. A great FFA player will always come up with a clear way to win if they are the biggest, the smallest, or somewhere in the middle. A great player is simply aware of the approximate ship count of each player and can clearly recognize how many ships the other players need to throw away until he is in a position to win. Players like this often use deception strategies like hiding ships, and are constantly aware that their opponent may be hiding ships as well. The better they are at shipcounting, the more they will be aware of each player's number of hidden ships.

There is a skill divide in FFA, it's not just 'camp - win.' If you get a poor spawn camping simply isn't an option, you must adjust your strategy, be aggressive, and spend the required amount of ships to bring the larger players down to your playing field so you can eventually take the game. You will have to camp and be aggressive depending on the situation. In many ways it is similar to tabletop ffa strategy games like RISK or DIPLOMACY, which both have definite tiers of skill.
post updated on Aug 27, 2012 @ 1:54am
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 27, 2012 @ 6:20am

Cabin Boy periwink

Exactly. And you have to be able to recognize the different FFA gametypes.

1st case: the map is divided between two small '1v1s'.

-if you can win your own 1v1 quickly, do so, it will be probably prompt the two others to attack each other, but if not, abort your attack immediately.

-if you cannot win your 1v1 quickly, or if you cannot win it, send a fleet of 50 ship hovering at your opponent's base, but do not attack it! When the two others (who have probably begun their own 1v1) are very low on ships, capture their base with your other 50 ship. The last player will launch an all out attack, and you can capture his base with your hovering 50 ships. That should be enough to ensure that you survive.

2nd case:(for 3 player games) Your planet is alone in a corner.

In this case, do not turtle! It is the most boring and anoying strategy. Immediately look for a big planet somewhere in the map, and launch a 75-ship attack on it, regardless of its cost. As it is a 3-way, nobody will attack you, and you can make it your main base. Do not forget to defend your home planet. Be aggressive, and send all that you've got to defend yourself, it will act as a deterrent for future attacks.

3rd case: (for 3 player games)You have a good beginning.

If you're surrounded by many big cheap planets, rush to take them all. The other two players will do the same: capture the planets around them. They will do so even if these are expensive, because they think that in a 3-way nobody will attack them. If you notice that they are using many ships (~50/60 ships each), ATTACK immediately both of them! You will probably be able to overcome easily a first player, and then try to survive. This way of winning is very rewarding, so always consider turning the game in a 2v1 an option.

4th case: (any game) General piece of advice.

-If the game is stuck. Try hiding your ships:
  -one way is to send them bit by bit to a very small and far planet, and then launch an all-out attack against the biggest player. The two big ones will fight, and then try to sweep the board in the end. You NEED at least 300 ships for it to succede. Do not underestimate how fast big planets build up ships.
  -there is a rare glitch when there are many ships in the game. You noticed that as the game advances, less 'gtraphic ships' are required to symbolize a certain amount right? For example, a single ships may account for 20 real ships. Sometimes, when you launch a big attack (at least 500-600 ships), they will only appear as one graphic ship. Use this to your advantage.. you know how.

5th case: You're being suicided at the beginning.

Two options:
-either you endure the attack, thus issuing a sure death for both of you, so that the guy won't repeate his mistake in future games.
-either you act mature, and try to win the game anyway! Immediately send all your ships in the air, and fake an attack to your opponent's base. The other guys in the game will probably attack your home planet at that point. Shift your attention to the biggest guy in the game, and fake an attack on him. Do not hesitate to consume ships for it to appear realistic. Then, the other guys, and the one who suicided on you will battle. If you can, do a majestic comeback with your in-air fleet.
Note: Attacking the other guy and ultimately making your suicider win can damage your good mood.

Conclusion: be aggressive and unpredictable.
Nobody likes games where nothing is happening. Not only will FFA become fun, but you will still have decent chances of success. Remember, in a 4 player game, winning 1 in four game is equivalent to having a 50% success rate in 1v1, so do not discourage yourself if you seem to be losing a lot.

Oh, and if you're the smallest guy in the game and you're the one that does all job of weakening the big guy; try to send a message to the third person so that he helps you. (for example, redirect the ships sometimes towards him, and then back towards the big guy) If he still doesn't do anything, poke him by sending a few ships in his base, as a small threat. If he still doesn't help you to overcome the big guy, suicide him, he deserved it.
post updated on Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:48am
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:28pm

Admiral ipcress

In this case, do not turtle! It is the most boring and annoying strategy.

But, it WINS!!

Immediately look for a big planet somewhere in the ap, and launch a 75-ship attack on it, regardless of its cost.

Wrong.  Camp at every opportunity.  Watch the multi-stripes play the game and you'll see they ALL do this.  HOW do you think they got all their stripes?  They've turned camping/turtling into a fine art form, that's how.  Yeah... they're going to brag about their "strats" and blah, blah, blah, but it's all nonsense.  They WIN all their games by sitting on the sidelines and waiting for the OTHER players to fight it out.  That's their "secret."
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:37pm

Cabin Boy _-3ve-_

(being.here, this is my fusion alt)

You didn't reply to periwink's excellent analysis, you just ignored him and repeated yourself. I have been three stripes before, and I've played with the best. I will play in an FFA room with you any day and demonstrate. Camping is necessary in some games. The point periwink and I are trying to make however is that to maintain a high winrate, you have to adjust your strategy for games where turtling isn't an option. Periwink gave some very clear examples of such games, and with good players it occurs pretty often.
post updated on Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:39pm
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:41pm

Admiral ipcress

Oh, and if you're the smallest guy in the game and you're the one that does all job of weakening the big guy; try to send a message to the third person so that he helps you.

This NEVER, EVER works, and you know it, Periwink.  I played tons of FFA games when I started with Galcon, and I've never seen this to be effective.  The little guys never "team up" to weaken the larger guy.  The little guy finds someone weaker to destroy (and lets the big guy get bigger.)  If you're the only one weakening the strongest player, then you're the sucker, and the other weak players are going to sit it out until you get destroyed.  That's what ALWAYS happens.

These FFA strat threads always describe a FFA Galcon game which simply doesn't exist.  New players read this stuff and then get terribly disappointed when they employ these concepts: because NO ONE plays this way!!  They camp, they don't work together against the stronger player, they camp, they instantly mash ALL their ships against the closest opponent the moment the screen opens, they camp, they hover around til everyone else gets weakened, they camp--and they win.  

If you want to play the game--and not sit around--then you play 2v2.  Period.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 2:55pm

Admiral ipcress

In many ways it is similar to tabletop ffa strategy games like RISK or DIPLOMACY, which both have definite tiers of skill.

FFA Galcon is nothing at all like RISK or DIPLOMACY.  I have no idea what you're talking about.  In those games, weaker players form alliances to defeat the stronger players.  This almost never happens in FFA Galcon.  You can SAY it does, but you know it's not true.  This is what usually happens:

One player grabs a bunch of planets right away.
The multi-stripe player sits and does nothing, waiting for the others to fight it out and hopefully weaken the strongest player.
One of the weak players "sends a message" to the multi-stripe camper by attacking him with a tiny micro-fleet.  Now... we all know what happens next.  The multi-stripe/camper "sends a message" back to the weak player by attacking him with ALL his ships (message: "Don't annoy me when I'm camping!") Yeah, he'll wipe himself out and lose the game (along with the other guy) but in the NEXT game, the weak player will know enough NOT to annoy this guy when he's camping.  I've seen this hundreds--thousands--of times.  It's how ALL the multi-stripes play.
Camping wins.  End of discussion.  Anyone who says it doesn't is a liar.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:06pm

Admiral dart

The "secret" to winning FFA is CAMPING.  Period.

WROOOOOOONG!

You just need to be faster than everyone else, but of course since IPCRESS is the slowest player ever, he has to resort to camping. "PERIOD!"
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:11pm

Admiral ipcress

And now for The Unwritten Rule of FFA.

New players, listen up.  You're not going to read about this in any of these FFA strat threads.

In the vast majority of FFA games, the high-ranking players will hold off on attacking each other until the newbs have been destroyed.  It's sort of a Gentlemen's Agreement that the game will end as a duel between the two highest-ranked players.  Don't believe me?  Watch the games closely and see for yourself.  Is it "teaming?"  Welllll.... not exactly.  At least they don't consider it teaming; but it's funny how many games turn out that way.  They'll tell you they survived until the end because they're more skilled than the newbs, but that's a lie.  They survived because they carefully avoided attacking each other until the lower ranked players were destroyed.  Call it whatever you want.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:13pm

Admiral ipcress

Dart, campers win and you know it.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:15pm

Admiral ipcress

"If the game is stuck. Try hiding your ships"

This means: Camp.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:17pm

Admiral ipcress

Sidekick speaks the Truth:

"12- Try not to get involved. Ever. (Camp until you will obviously win.)"

Best advice on the page.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:18pm

Admiral ipcress

Periwink wrote:
Nobody likes games where nothing is happening.

It's not about "liking" the game or "having fun."  It's about WINNING.  And if you want to WIN, you've got to become a Camping Master.
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 6:23pm

Cabin Boy being.here

This NEVER, EVER works, and you know it, Periwink.  I played tons of FFA games when I started with Galcon, and I've never seen this to be effective.  The little guys never "team up" to weaken the larger guy.  The little guy finds someone weaker to destroy (and lets the big guy get bigger.)  If you're the only one weakening the strongest player, then you're the sucker, and the other weak players are going to sit it out until you get destroyed.  That's what ALWAYS happens.

Speaking in absolutes never ever works.

It does happen, often. If you dont' see it happen you dont' play high level games. When all players are at least vaguely aware of the shipcount, they will team up when necessary and the 'lead' will shift from one player to another sometimes several times over the course of the game. This would not happen if camping always = winning, the lead would never shift if ships were not traded. I will record games and prove it to you if you don't believe me.

"If the game is stuck. Try hiding your ships" 

This means: Camp.

Hiding ships usually means feigning aggression with the ships you don't wish to hide. This is trading, and by definition not camping.

One player grabs a bunch of planets right away. 
The multi-stripe player sits and does nothing, waiting for the others to fight it out and hopefully weaken the strongest player. 
One of the weak players "sends a message" to the multi-stripe camper by attacking him with a tiny micro-fleet.  Now... we all know what happens next.  The multi-stripe/camper "sends a message" back to the weak player by attacking him with ALL his ships (message: "Don't annoy me when I'm camping!") Yeah, he'll wipe himself out and lose the game (along with the other guy) but in the NEXT game, the weak player will know enough NOT to annoy this guy when he's camping.  I've seen this hundreds--thousands--of times.  It's how ALL the multi-stripes play. 
Camping wins.  End of discussion.  Anyone who says it doesn't is a liar.

High level players don't throw games to send a message. They always try to win. I don't believe I've ever seen you higher than one stripe in ffa/1v1 so I don't think you have any authority on this subject.
post updated on Aug 31, 2012 @ 6:27pm
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:06pm

Admiral ipcress

Hiding ships usually means feigning aggression with the ships you don't wish to hide. This is trading, and by definition not camping.

Huh??
WHAT are you talking about?  "Hiding ships?"  Where are you hiding them?  In your pants?

"Feigning aggression?" Do you mean hovering a little fleet around the screen without ever attacking anything?  Is that what you mean?  If it is, that's the most retarded sh*t ever!
Re: Deep Impact :: Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:11pm

Admiral ipcress

Periwink's "Messaging System":

Oh, and if you're the smallest guy in the game and you're the one that does all job of weakening the big guy; try to send a message to the third person so that he helps you. (for example, redirect the ships sometimes towards him, and then back towards the big guy)

No personal offense, Periwink, but this is simply idiotic and you KNOW it doesn't work.  Some three-stripe is camping out in the corner, so you hover this little fleet of yours around the screen--and he magically realizes he shouldn't be camping and joins you to help fight the larger opponent.
NEVER HAPPENS!!! And anyone who has played more than ten FFA games will tell you it never happens.  The message-thing is just a waste of time.
post updated on Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:12pm

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.