Galcon Karaoke Party! Saturday, August 23th
:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Support :: Official Feature Request's

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 17 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

Official Feature Requests :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 8:29am

Cabin Boy cynd3r

First of all could i please have nanno or phil sticky this so that there are not a thousand of these anymore. Thank you.

Alright, in my opinion this game is one of the best games out there and with a little additions it could be by far the best game.

Many of these things have already been discussed but nothing is being done about it, so im going to keep up with this until it is changed.

Okay, My ideas:

1. Chat room- When you open Galcon and click net games at the top of the page should be a chat room. I dont want an in-game chat room because that would be mental but a chat room where i can talk to my friends would be great. We could decide on a room to play together and even organize 2v2's or something.

2. Room Names- The names of all the rooms (For Example: Kappa-2, Mu-4, etc..) are completely random each time. If you leave and come back the rooms with noone in them will change numbers and names everytime. I would like it if you made them so that their were a certain amount of rooms that never changed names. This would help if players wanted to meet and play together. You could say "lets meet in room kappa-1" instead of saying "look for the room with one blue flag in it. This would be an easy fix and a great way for players to get together. 

3. Team Play- While i would like to see a 3v1 so that i could own 3 of you guys at the same time i think a 2v2 would be great. I have organized them in game with players but its hard to get the message accross and normally ends in hard feelings because either the person im attempting to team with flips on me or the other 2 players think that we are teaming against them and dont realize that i want them to team as well. If their was rooms specifically set aside for 2v2's that would be amazing. It would be an instant success. 

4. Game Environment Improvement- There is a TON of inapropriate things both in the game and on these forums. People flaming others on the forums because they dont like their play style. In the games their are players running around with names that are not appropriate for a game that kids play. I have no problem with these names but im sure many have put this game behind them because of these people. If you have to ban one player to keep 10 more here then you need to do that. Their needs to be more moderaters for the forums AND the games. I, for one, spend countless hours trolling these forums and playing the game and would happy to help with this. Others would be Mehaar, gamma, stormz, etc.. They are respected people and would make great figures of authority. These forums need to be cleaned up and the game made okay for kids again.

5. Advertising- This game is better then 95% of the games in the top 50 of the appstore right now. We need to do more to advertise this game. For the last couple months i have been telling people about Galcon and trying to get them to play it. I have probably gotten at least 15 people at my school to buy this game. We all need to do stuff to advertise this game but this really rests on phil to do get this game out there. 

6. Ranking System. I understand that no ranking system is perfect but the one in place right now is complete crap (no offense phil). You can cheat the system WAY to easily just by playing the new players. This makes them not want to play because the second they start playing they get attacked by 2 stripe admirals. I did an experiment on the current ranking system and the results were ridiculous. http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/15/1343/   .. Thats where i talked about it the most. I understand that we need more players to make it worth your while phil but it really needs to be done. Plus we could make it worth your while by simply working on Advertising... 

I have more ideas but they are more complex and until some of these things happen i dont see a reason to post them. Please guys lets get behind this. And can we please sticky this for everyone.
post updated on Feb 10, 2009 @ 8:45am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:04am

Cabin Boy mehaar

A couple of tiny improvements to the interface:

1/ Can we see what server we are in while we are INSIDE the server please?  That way if I accidentally leave, or lose connection I know which server to join again.

2/ Can you add a setting to choose which side (left or right) the change %age button appears.  I am right handed and mostly make moves with my right hand.  Currently my right hand covers the %age button, but if I could move it to the left I could control it with my left hand.

And the most important feature to add:

2v2 games please!

see also this old thread http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/1090/
post updated on Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:06am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:09am

Cabin Boy cynd3r

Is a Galcon II in the mix?? i havent heard anything like that.
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:12am

Cabin Boy mehaar

Well... Galcon II... maybe not quite ;)

But Nanno did say Phil was looking at a 'major'ish update for 2009, that's why I started that thread.

I wish I knew how much Phil could really invest in the game.

Several people thought improved graphics would be a good thing for instance. And most people agree it is a fabulous game that isn't getting the profile that it should.  I don't know if that's a marketing/pr or game development issue, or both.
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:43am

Cabin Boy stormz

But Nanno did say Phil was looking at a 'major'ish update for 2009, that's why I started that thread.

Several people thought improved graphics would be a good thing for instance. And most people agree it is a fabulous game that isn't getting the profile that it should.  I don't know if that's a marketing/pr or game development issue, or both.

The graphics are the trade mark of galcon so I dought phil will change much.

Nanno it sure would be nice if u pesterd phil and we actualy got a detailed answer to these questions.
Phil never responds to these threads
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 11:23am

Cabin Boy mehaar

Well I think they're great!  I just was interested to see that there was quite a number of people who sited the graphics (and sound) as something they thought should be improved.

Gotta play to your audience.  'Specially when they pay the bills!

Nanno it sure would be nice if u pesterd phil and we actualy got a detailed answer to these questions.

Agreed.

I think I might go looking for that other 'improvements' thread - I remember someone had some cool ideas about black holes and map topology etc...  Found 'em!

Anyone interested in enhancements might want to check out these threads/ideas too:

Viewing gallery http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/1176/ 
Campaigns http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/1083/ 
GalconII for iphone http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/1063/ (Nanno's post)
Graphics, map ideas and save game http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/16/1105/
post updated on Feb 10, 2009 @ 11:38am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 11:55am

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee

Phil pestered.  =)
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 11:57am

Cabin Boy philhassey

The Developer
Hey .. thanks again for all the cool input.

I'm in the midst of getting a few new games out right now, but I'm hoping to have time to whip up a Galcon 2 or an update to Galcon later on this year.  

Maybe I'll do more marketing, but I dunno :)

-Phil
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 11:59am

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee

There's definitely a Galcon update in the works for sometime later this year.  Phil is taking a bit of a break from Galcon at the moment because he wants to make some other games.  

You have to understand that Phil is a one-man show here, so there's a real limit to what he can achieve as far as marketing and game dev.  He also runs a separate medical records business that he's trying to get away from, but in the meantime it still demands some work.  Be patient with us!  =)
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 12:21pm

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee

Well I think they're great!  I just was interested to see that there was quite a number of people who sited the graphics (and sound) as something they thought should be improved.

Gotta play to your audience.  'Specially when they pay the bills!

The graphics and sound are a love/hate thing with most people.  There would be just as many people ticked off if we changed them as there are people who say they need to be improved.  One thing I can say for sure is that the sound will NOT be changed--ever.  Graphics maybe, sound NEVER.  Other than the title, that's pretty much the last vestige of Galcon left from the original Ludum Dare 48-hour entry.  It will remain as lasting tribute to that competition and a reminder of Galcon's humble roots.    

I think I might go looking for that other 'improvements' thread - I remember someone had some cool ideas about black holes and map topology etc...  Found 'em!

Some gameplay suggestions might make it into single player, but I think the multi-player game is going to remain essentially the same.  We experimented with a lot of different things in the early development of the game, and we found that simplicity is Galcon's greatest strength.  Adding variables is usually interesting for only a short while before it gets tiresome and you start longing for the original simple game.
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 2:31pm

Cabin Boy mehaar

The graphics and sound are a love/hate thing with most people.  There would be just as many people ticked off if we changed them as there are people who say they need to be improved.

You know, I would have said that broadly there are two groups: (1) those who don't care so much about the graphics, but love the gameplay and (2) those who would actually like the game more if the graphics were better.

So IMHO 'improving' the graphics is a no-lose situation.

One thing I can say for sure is that the sound will NOT be changed--ever.  Graphics maybe, sound NEVER.  Other than the title, that's pretty much the last vestige of Galcon left from the original Ludum Dare 48-hour entry.  It will remain as lasting tribute to that competition and a reminder of Galcon's humble roots.

:)

That's lovely.

But I guess it comes down to this:  If you knew that you would get 25% more sales by improving the sound, would you change it?

If the answer is 'no' then you're basically putting sentiment over sales.  Not that its wrong to do this, just that you can say goodbye to commercial success.

If the answer is 'yes' then you are prioritising the wider success of the game, the gaming community and your own pockets.

Some gameplay suggestions might make it into single player, but I think the multi-player game is going to remain essentially the same.  We experimented with a lot of different things in the early development of the game, and we found that simplicity is Galcon's greatest strength.  Adding variables is usually interesting for only a short while before it gets tiresome and you start longing for the original simple game.  

Totally agree - the core gameplay is perfect.

You have to understand that Phil is a one-man show here, so there's a real limit to what he can achieve as far as marketing and game dev.

Understood Cap'n!

Is it worth asking the Galconites for help?  I could probably take on some graphic design for instance.  Maybe there's a marketing genius out there?  Or another dev twiddling his or her thumbs as the world of finance crashes around us?
post updated on Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:58am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 4:15pm

Cabin Boy boysen4254

Ya i totally understand the lack of staff here but i still think some developments need to be made.. and if there is marketing to be done im sure i can help with that. If you would like me to help though i would need to know some things first

btw.. i just noticed i was signed in on this account but this is cynd3r :)))
post updated on Feb 10, 2009 @ 4:21pm
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 5:32pm

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee
You know, I would have said that broadly there are two groups: (1) those who don't care so much about the graphics, but love the gameplay and (2) those who would actually like the game more if the graphics were better.

So IMHO 'improving' the graphics is a no-lose situation.

Graphics may get an overhaul.  That one's still out for consideration, although I've had a few people proclaim loudly that the rustic graphics are part of the appeal.  I'm guessing this is not the majority, though. 

But I guess it comes down to this:  If you knew that you would get 25% more sales by improving the sound, would you change it?

If the answer is 'no' then you're basically putting sentiment over sales.  Not that its wrong to do this, just that you can say goodbye to commercial success.

If the answer is 'yes' then you are prioritising the wider success of the game, the gaming community and your own pockets.

The answer is a firm "NO!"  Sentiment over sales any day on this one!  Besides, this is one place where we've had LOTS of feedback from users who tell us in no uncertain terms that the exploding sound effect in particular MUST stay the same (often with threats of violence if we change it).  We have the odd complaint from new users, but it seems that most people eventually grow terribly attached to the wonderful sound Phil made with his lips late one night in dark ages past.  Such talent cannot be cast aside for mere riches.    

Is it worth asking the Galconites for help?  I could probably take on some graphic design for instance.  Maybe there's a marketing genius out there?  Or another dev twiddling his or her thumbs as the world of finance crashes around us?

We'll definitely keep this in mind.
post updated on Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:58am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 10, 2009 @ 6:09pm

Cabin Boy mehaar

Graphics may get an overhaul.  That one's still out for consideration, although I've had a few people proclaim loudly that the rustic graphics are part of the appeal.  I'm guessing this is not the majority, though.

Personally I wouldn't prioritise the graphics over gameplay - I'm just going on what I've seen people saying.

The answer is a firm "NO!"  Sentiment over sales any day on this one (sound)!  Besides, this is one place where we've had LOTS of feedback from users who tell us in no uncertain terms that the exploding sound effect in particular MUST stay the same (often with threats of violence if we change it).  We have the odd complaint from new users, but it seems that most people eventually grow terribly attached to the wonderful sound Phil made with his lips late one night in dark ages past.  Such talent cannot be cast aside for mere riches.

Well, I'm suprised that you've had that feedback.  I don't think I've seen any positive comments about the sound, only negative (maybe mostly from reviews actually).

I kinda expected the 'no' and I am very pleased in a way, coz you and Phil would be different people if you went all commercial.  At the same time, its a bit sad, coz I'd love to see Galcon at the top of the appstore, winning awards, with 100,000 players!  Hopefully I'm wrong and you can have both!  :)

I'm not sure I'll be able to play now without imagining Phil hunched over a microphone making popping noises  ;)
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 11, 2009 @ 1:50am

Cabin Boy mehaar

another tweak that would be cool: allow longer registered names.
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 11, 2009 @ 3:51am

Cabin Boy stormz

Mehaar your not a good judge of personality. I knew within the first week of being on the forums phils the type of programmer to make something then move along. All these elaborate ideas prob never happen.
Phil is obviously not motivated by money which is a good thing for him bad for us because he has no reason to be ontop of galcon 24/7. it seems more  of a hobby to him read his blog
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 11, 2009 @ 4:25am

Cabin Boy mehaar

Sorry!  I was going on the

There's definitely a Galcon update in the works for sometime later this year.

Comments from Phil and Nanno.

Where is Phil's blog?

Doh.  That was me being lazy.  Its at http://www.philhassey.com/blog/ of course.

Well, I've only read a bit, but I hope it's not as bleak as you are making out Stormz...

:(
post updated on Feb 11, 2009 @ 4:31am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 11, 2009 @ 9:45am

Cabin Boy cynd3r

Mehaar your not a good judge of personality. I knew within the first week of being on the forums phils the type of programmer to make something then move along. All these elaborate ideas prob never happen.
Phil is obviously not motivated by money which is a good thing for him bad for us because he has no reason to be ontop of galcon 24/7. it seems more  of a hobby to him read his blog

yeah i realized that rather quickly.. however, it doesnt hurt to try
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:19am

Cabin Boy cynd3r

Im working on a forum rules page right now.. if phil and nanno think it is good enough then they can use mine.. if not they can make their own.. ;)

This is a forum rules page that i wrote for another game site.. so it will be something like this but obviously different because its a different game:

Welcome to the Galcon Forums. There are a few rules that exist here to maintain a fun and friendly atmosphere. 

The Rules 
1. Posts that personally attack or insult members are not allowed. If you feel that somebody has been a bad host or player then you may so say, but refrain from insulting them personally. Doing so usually causes the thread to go nowhere anyway. 

Note: Rule #1 also means that posts such as "Who is the worst Galcon Player?" are not allowed, since it can only result in insults and attacks. 

2. Any 'hate speech' which attacks or insults a group of people based on their skin color, race, religion, sex, nationality, or sexual orientation is strictly prohibited. It doesn't matter if you are "joking", this will get you banned. 

3. These forums do not exist as an outlet for constant/repeated negativity. They are not a place to unnecessarily provoke or fuel arguments, or to contribute random jibberish just for the sake of watching your post count rise. No "trolling" please. 

4. Links to webpages or images that contain explicit or offensive materials must have a clear warning saying so. 

5. You are not allowed to steal another user's avatar. If you want to use an altered version of somebody's avatar then you must get their permission first. 

6. Do not repost things that have been locked or deleted by the moderators. 

7. Do not post Private Messages in the public forums. If you have a problem with a PM please contact a mod about it. 

Violation of the rules means your post will be edited or deleted. Repeated violation will get you banned from the forums. Any disagreements will be decided by the moderators, and their decisions are final. 

Some Suggestions 
1. When starting a new thread give it a clear and meaningful subject line that describes the post. Examples of some BAD subject lines are: "a question", "read me", "please help", etc. 

2. Try to stay on-topic when replying to a thread. Of course it is inevitable that threads will wander from their initial focus, but you should start a new thread if you are introducing a new idea that you think will generate lots of discussion in itself. 

Final Thoughts: 
Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and keep the Lux forums a happy place to hang out. 

im still working on it but it will be added as soon as it is completely done. Any suggestions guys?
post updated on Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:23am
Re: Official Feature Request's :: Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:38am

Cabin Boy mozilla

Thank you. I hope this or something similar will make its way into the forum. A simple text link at the top would suffice.

I realize your post is a work in progress but I would change #4 to read

"Links to external content that contain explicit or offensive material will not be tolerated" 

or similar.

Page 1 / 17 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

You must sign in to post.