:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Support :: Is Galcon for iPhone dead?

You must sign in to post.

Page 2 / 4 1   2   3   4 

Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 29, 2012 @ 5:36pm

Cabin Boy happyhoff

I think many regular players would gladly pay a few more $ to get an update!
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 29, 2012 @ 5:50pm

Cabin Boy roxie

Where's IPCRESS and his galconicorn when you need him?
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 12:02am

Cabin Boy jazz

To be honest, I think Phil is a smart decent guy who builds great games.  I do still admire him and respect him.

But I also think he missed the boat regarding galcon. He was unable to take his baby that hes worked on for well over a decade out into the main stream.  He likes to compare it to chess...  but simply mention Galcon to a group of chess players and you get a universal "huh? whats that?".  Proof positive that Galcon failed to achieve anything more then cult status.

Galcons very simplicity was its greatest feature... but without change, this simplicity and has led to its ultimate demise.  Phils aversion to change has stagnated and throttled the energy it once had.  After Labs was released and then subsequently flopped, he took the wrong msg from that experience IMHO.  He took some time, stepped back, and re-examined what he wanted out of this game.  His decision was to let Galcon idle while he took a break and focused his energies elsewhere.  In my opinion, that was his one and only mistake.  That decision changed Galcon from an up-and-coming new leader in the field of real time strategy games, to a has-been fad that will ultimately just be a footnote in history.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 1:15am

Cabin Boy boMLju

Yes, Jazz is right, you can't compare chess with galcon.
First of all, Galcon is 10 times less popular.Second most important thing is that nobody is living from selling chess boards and figures and there are chess games for iphone and pc that get updated too.
If galcon was so popular that it would take a month to meet all active players then you could take a break, but galcon nowadays is full of boring servers. Suiciders, noobs, etc. If there are any pros and a new player comes in, he ruins their game and in this kind of enviroment new galcon players, who are actually pretty rare, leave the game very fast and they advice other people not to buy it.
I don't want to even mention Galcon Labs because I don't play it and we could think of it as a failing bonus to Galcon that should be connected with regular Galcon.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 1:28am

Cabin Boy LjuboM

I forgot to mention that chess is about 1400 years OLD!
And nowadays galcon is more then 1300 years less old(I don't want to make a mistake :P)
and you can play chess in real life and on computers and phones.
While you can play Galcon only on Computers and SMART phones.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 2:02am

Cabin Boy quantum

Jazz freekin nailed it. That's all.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 12:08pm

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee
I agree with Jazz, too, actually, except that I don't think Phil missed the boat. I think he could actually revive Galcon at any time as a pretty much whole new game to a whole new audience. He just isn't ready yet, and there's nothing wrong with that. Phil has some pretty intense ideas about what he wants to do with Galcon, but he never felt the time was right, and he also wasn't ready to embark on a large-scale project unless it involved something totally different to Galcon. Galcon is a lifestyle business for Phil, and we don't mess with employees at this time for many reasons. So, people do have to wait for Phil to be inspired before they get updates. They also have to wait for Nanno to do tournaments, which she has been very bad at for the past year because she is now a full-time farmer. ;)
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 12:12pm

Cabin Boy mechslayer

I agree with Jazz, too, actually, except that I don't think Phil missed the boat. I think he could actually revive Galcon at any time as a pretty much whole new game to a whole new audience. He just isn't ready yet, and there's nothing wrong with that. Phil has some pretty intense ideas about what he wants to do with Galcon, but he never felt the time was right, and he also wasn't ready to embark on a large-scale project unless it involved something totally different to Galcon. Galcon is a lifestyle business for Phil, and we don't mess with employees at this time for many reasons. So, people do have to wait for Phil to be inspired before they get updates. They also have to wait for Nanno to do tournaments, which she has been very bad at for the past year because she is now a full-time farmer. ;)

If Galcon turns into a 3d game then I would buy it!
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 12:37pm

Cabin Boy LjuboM

Anyone can make a tournament, BUT WHY WILL WE MAKE IT SINCE THERE WILL BE AROUND 10 PEOPLE PLAYING IT?
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 1:07pm

Cabin Boy jazz

Cool Nanno  :)

True too....  if you hold the copyrights, it really doesn't matter how long you wait.  

I've been occupying my time lately with a game called Edgeworld where I'm leading a #1 ranked alliance of 100+ people in the Cloud Nebula sector.  Its a free-but-pay-for-cool-stuff type game, and yes, I've spent money there.  A lot of money.  Kabam is doing really well with this game model.

https://www.kabam.com/edgeworld/play 

I bring this up because Edgeworld has a map-based battle implementation that I think could work well for Galcon. 

its X/Y coordinates from 0,0 to 399,199 and each node can be controlled by an alliance.  The alliances battle for land.  

My creative mind has been spinning a lot of ideas lately how Galcon could implement something like that.

For example:  
- Every node on the map starts as a pink flag, until someone defeats it and thus owns it for their alliance.
- upgrading nodes to red, blue and striped on up to GA cost a certain amount of points.  
- points can be purchased or won through tourneys, or other means.
- enemy alliances can attack your alliance's map space...  each node attacked has a computer opponent equal to the flag  you upgraded it to.
- you can also change the game type of each map node you control...  1v1, 2v2, 4v4, billiard, stealth, etc.  these upgrades cost more points.
- each time a map node is defeated, the flag for that node drops by 1, so each time gets easier and easier down to Pink.  This creates incentive to continuously upgrade the map. 
- as map nodes are attacked, the defending players who are online at the time can take the place of the computer AI and  defend the base themselves.

etc.  

As you can see... all that is really lacking to bring Galcon back is the will to do so.  

I agree with you that Galcon can be revived.  But until Phil is ready to do so, this game is going to continue its death spiral of declining revenue, declining player base and declining relevance in a game market that is ever changing.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:04pm

Cabin Boy newyears1

These forums have seen a tremendous amount of good update ideas for gGalcon that would improve the game in an evolutionary sense, not a revolutionary sense. But I think this is what the community wants. They do not want a completely different iGalcon.

So, in the future Nanno, please always maintain the original iGalcon, as an option to play. And I'd recommend keeping this original iGalcon option within any new iGalcon app that is created. Otherwise, it's too inconvenient to switch between a new iGalcon sequel app and the original app... and then the original might die (like Labs).

Thank you.

P.S. I also want to add that Galcon is not dying or dead. It was and still is an amazing game and there is still a solid group of people playing at all times of the day (and night). So people need to stop being so theatrical. I definitely am scared of the day when people generally start to get bored and a self-reinforcing trend develops, causing more and more people to stop playing and resulting in empty servers like Labs. That is my nightmare. I hope it never happens, and so far the addiction of Galcon continues and people still consistently play it. I've even seen very old players from years ago returning and playing again (Mehaar for example)!
post updated on May 30, 2012 @ 3:18pm
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:10pm

Cabin Boy KylerCA

I say, keep original galcon and galcon fusion AND labs the way it is.

Start fresh and make a galcon II, which includes all modes and more! :D

Like "capture the flag" or "king of the hill" (yes I have ideas for them).

And a new galcon fusion too. Like "Galcon Galaxy" with a campaign that takes you through all modes (like teams) against and with AI! :D
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:17pm

Cabin Boy newyears1

Wow, yeah there is a lot of potential for new iGalcon modes in the forms of 'capture the flag' or 'king of the hill' etc etc.

I still think expanding the max players from 4 to 6 in servers for FFA/2v2 will offer up a giant increase in fun/strategy though, and will make for a really good update.

And of course integrate Labs modes into the main iGalcon app.

I'll also agree with happyhoff and note that I would be happy to pay for all future updates to iGalcon.
post updated on May 30, 2012 @ 3:18pm
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:19pm

Cabin Boy brand

kylerca is right. do some stupid galcon II- but please leave the original galcon as it is. everyone who asks for stupid updates is just insane. its like all this kids can't wait for the next iphone, the next software update, the next gf,bf. you are all just look for excuses because you are too bored and stupid to see the beauty of how it is at the moment. phh.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:29pm

Cabin Boy newyears1

To answer this thread's question: Is Galcon for iPhone dead?

Look here for your answer, now and in the future:
http://galcon.tinny.net.au/ 

Specifically, these graphs:
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:50pm

Cabin Boy jazz

meh

lack of vision is whats killing this game.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 3:52pm

Cabin Boy KylerCA

kylerca is right. do some stupid galcon II- but please leave the original galcon as it is. everyone who asks for stupid updates is just insane. its like all this kids can't wait for the next iphone, the next software update, the next gf,bf. you are all just look for excuses because you are too bored and stupid to see the beauty of how it is at the moment. phh.

Not sure if this is an insult towards me but I have an old computer and an old monitor. The monitor is older than me. I won't replace my stuff until they've lived their full life. Things that gave you fun for years shouldn't just be thrown away after something new comes out. :(
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 4:03pm

Cabin Boy jazz

Things that gave you fun for years shouldn't just be thrown away after something new comes out. :(

Agreed.  I still play chess as well.  Actually...  Lately, I find I am spending more time playing chess on my phone now then I spend playing Galcon.  Heck, even minesweeper on my droid I play more often then Galcon!

On the flip side, over the last 6 months, I have spent easily 4 hours a day, every day, playing Edgeworld.  Time I used to spend here.

The point is:  when older games win out over Galcon for mindless bubblegum variety time wasters... and the massive time investments 2/3rds of the core player base USED to spend here in forums and in games moves elsewhere....

Those are the signs to look for when declaring a game dead or not. Charts and figures and player sentiment all say the same thing...  Galcon is fading.
post updated on May 30, 2012 @ 4:06pm
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 4:16pm

Cabin Boy brand

well, maybe something went wrong when you were a kid and thats why you play edgeworld. phh.
post updated on May 30, 2012 @ 4:17pm
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 4:18pm

Cabin Boy jazz

well, maybe something went wrong when you were a kid and thats why you play edgeworld. phh.

lol  =}  something definitely went wrong when I was a kid.  But thats not why i play edgeworld.  lol

I play edgeworld because of the people.  Leading a team of well over 100 players to sector wide glory on the battlefield...  thats what drives me.  

Galcon isolates you way to much from the people who play it to ever really catch on to a larger audience. its a loners game.  Always has been....  always will be.  As I stated earlier...  its lack of vision that is killing this game.
post updated on May 30, 2012 @ 4:26pm

Page 2 / 4 1   2   3   4 

You must sign in to post.