:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Support :: Is Galcon for iPhone dead?

You must sign in to post.

Page 3 / 4 1   2   3   4 

Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 4:31pm

Cabin Boy brand

oh god i checked this stupid edge dingsbums game on youtube. it looks soo uncool i am speechless (that means something.) before i pass out completely let me please say one last important thing to you: phh.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 4:37pm

Captain jazz

no worries.  just one comment:  how many youtube videos of Galcon did you find?
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 8:03pm

Cabin Boy newyears1

4,100 YouTube videos of Galcon!

And that's a lot jazz, for a developer consisting of 1 person. Not to mention, who cares how many videos there are.

Galcon, the game, HAS mass-market appeal. I (and I'm sure most others) do NOT want some Edgeworld/Galcon hybrid. The simple, quick, and simultaneously casual/intense nature of iGalcon games is where the appeal lies.

There are many problems though that limit this mass appeal, some inherent to the game's design (but not a bad thing) and some due to the game's design. For instance, there is a lack of a sufficient tutorial and 'hand-holding' and explanation of all the tricks to play (like... dragging between planets to transfer ships, rather than tapping one planet and then another, etc). There's also a high learning curve to become good enough to face off versus other established multiplayer players. This is exacerbated in that it's real-time action, not turn-based. It also has a high learning curve because you need a certain amount of intelligence to play Galcon well. Sure, it has straight-forward rules, but to play well, you must think actively and develop your strategy/tactics constantly and react immediately to other players' strategy/tactics. It's a 'thinking' game, not a mindless reaction game. All these things lead newbies to become frustrated quickly with multiplayer Galcon and give up. It leaves only a small niche segment of the population that passes all the initial obstacles to remain as satisfied regular players.

As it's developed and financed by only 1 person, Galcon also does not have much direct advertising power.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 8:50pm

Captain jazz

*sigh*  I knew there was a reason I left this place.  :( 

1 - I never said get rid of galcon as it is now

2 - I (and I'm sure lots of others) WOULD like a Edgeworld/Galcon hybrid or some other type of expansion to the already existing game environment.  How many threads on these forums are asking for larger arena's to play in?  king of the hill, capture the flag, etc etc etc....  How many threads here have people posted about the need for a larger plot-line to help keep this simplistic game from being boring over time?  

3 - I have always felt that one of the single biggest reasons Galcon will never enjoy massive success, is because the single lone developer can not take the large financial risks necessary to elevate it to the next level.  Those kinds of risks require outside money and all the strings and hoops that go along with that.  Until that issue is overcome, this is nothing but a large hobby.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 10:41pm

Cabin Boy newyears1

re: #1
- You implicitly are. Your views are clearly that the existing iGalcon isn't enough, while mine are that it largely is enough. And that improvements simply need to be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary.

re: #2
- There is a difference between people who want 'larger maps' (inherently the same type of map with randomly placed planets, but more planets on the same screen) and a grid-like Edgeworld arena. King of the hill and capture the flag would also use the current Galcon maps, not some other grid map. It would, I suppose, have extra graphics for the 'king of the hill' planet once it's captured though. And a 'larger plot line' refers to single player, but Galcon's addictive appeal lies in its multiplayer, where you interact with others. It's also not a plot-line based game.

re: #3
- Now that I imagine a bit, you may be right in that using Galcon's mechanics in a more complex game like you're suggesting could be fun too... that's just so unrealistic to ever expect, though? For the reasons you've given here. Since it's highly unrealistic, it's a waste of time to consider such vast expansions of the concept for Galcon, no?

We can still improve the game experience for new players to increase the player base and keep it growing faster than old players leave... through some of the ideas I mentioned in my last post.

And we can make iGalcon more fun through a range of ideas that have been posted in the forums for eons. I.e. max server size of 6 players not 4, integrating Labs modes into the main app, new modes like king of the hill + capture the flag, and many other ideas from the forum. Not chat though, since that may cause too much drama in the game and limited chat may be too limited and cheesy to have any use.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 30, 2012 @ 10:49pm

Captain jazz

lots of words.  decent responses.  but in the end...  nothing changes if nothing changes.  and...  nothing is changing.

nothing has changed here for several years.  despite massive and varied attempts by the fans of galcon to encourage change.

it always has and it always will come down to one thing.  

Phil.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 1:48am

Cabin Boy sbdxaric

There are no excusess, and im not going to kiss ass.
Phil is neglecting his MOST popular game, the game that attracts almost all of his fans.
NOT ONLY THAT, but he piggy backs all of his new games to galcon.com, knowing that this game was successful and will probably remain much more active than the others. He needs to serve his largest community that is keeping most of his games alive if he wants to remain successful. I mea it is fine if he doesnt want to take responsibility, but he could always delegate. Galcon is dying and the man has taken YEARS breaks from an update, that could be as simple as implementing a percent slider or some bots. Spending 5 years on an amazing project and then abandoning the community is not the not the responsible thing to do, although he has every right to do so. As this community dies, so will his other games.
It is not too much for fans to expect an update over the course of two years, and it is painful to see such a strategic, innovative game die at the hands of its creator.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 1:53am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
+.9
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 12:08pm

Commander ipcress

The terrible thunder of angry hooves signals the arrival of GALCONICORN as he is alerted to yet another whiny Update Thread!

But, WAIT!
Galconicorn has a message for you all, which he is tapping out in Morse Code with his hoof!
It goes something like this:

1. Phil develops popular multi-player game for iPhone.

2. Android smart phones and cheap iTouches flood the market, reaching a huge audience.

3. Hordes of little kids with ADHD and other mental/psychological handicaps swell the ranks of the Galcon Community.

4. The older, intelligent players leave.

5. Only the juvenile "Problem Children" remain.  And grouchy transvestites from Germany.

6. They get bored with themselves.  And they suck at playing the game.

7. They blame Phil.

8. After destroying the community--they start to leave.

9. Galcon dies.
post updated on May 31, 2012 @ 12:21pm
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 12:16pm

Cabin Boy risk

hush ipcress pff
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 12:20pm

Cabin Boy KylerCA

Where's IPCRESS and his galconicorn when you need him?

The GALCONICORN has arrived!

marky, is that lily?

Edit: oh wait, I take that back. GALCONICORN is a boy.
post updated on May 31, 2012 @ 12:22pm
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 12:33pm

Cabin Boy LjuboM

"And grouchy transvestites from Germany. "
THIS!
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 3:21pm

Cabin Boy sidekick

Phil could always hire other people but he is just too stubborn.

How about we get Phil in here to comment instead of Nanno telling us how he feels?
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 3:25pm

Cabin Boy hiphopfanz1

The terrible thunder of angry hooves signals the arrival of GALCONICORN as he is alerted to yet another whiny Update Thread!

But, WAIT!
Galconicorn has a message for you all, which he is tapping out in Morse Code with his hoof!
It goes something like this:

1. Phil develops popular multi-player game for iPhone.

2. Android smart phones and cheap iTouches flood the market, reaching a huge audience.

3. Hordes of little kids with ADHD and other mental/psychological handicaps swell the ranks of the Galcon Community.

4. The older, intelligent players leave.

5. Only the juvenile "Problem Children" remain.  And grouchy transvestites from Germany.

6. They get bored with themselves.  And they suck at playing the game.

7. They blame Phil.

8. After destroying the community--they start to leave.

9. Galcon dies.

lol
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 8:13pm

Commander ipcress

Sidekick wrote:
the developers don't care. Phil is always "too busy"

GALCONICORN is reaching for his iPod.
I think he wants to play a song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLGv3WPnVQ
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 9:27pm

Captain diebkstabber

Hahaha I'm crying a river of laughter!!
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 9:55pm

Commander ipcress

We need new background screens.  Like this:

Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: May 31, 2012 @ 10:17pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Now brand'll be talking about weathergirls and pole vaulters until next year.
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:56pm

Cabin Boy sidekick

If you look closely, and I mean really closely, you can just see...
Re: Is Galcon for iPhone dead? :: Jun 6, 2012 @ 7:00pm

Cabin Boy and.rookie

We need new background screens.  Like this:

I remember that, athletic girlls ftw
post updated on Jun 6, 2012 @ 7:00pm

Page 3 / 4 1   2   3   4 

You must sign in to post.