:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (2)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Misc. :: Brilliant idea or total rubbish?

You must sign in to post.

Page 2 / 2 1   2 

Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 6, 2009 @ 2:55pm

Ensign Nanno

The Queen Bee
Yeah I saw Icpress' mock-up and I think it may be something to try (the % button thing, not the evenly distributed planets part, which doesn't work--we've tried it before and it's insufferably boring after about 3 games).
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 6, 2009 @ 3:05pm

Cabin Boy sky_lark

I haven't really been following this thread but I don't think it's necessary to overload the game with buttons.  The percentage button isn't perfect, but will it ever realistically be?  To me it's great as it is because I've adapted to it.

I used to push towards the idea of a transparent keyboard chat and buttons for communicating random messages to your teammates.  But now I realize that iGalcon is a very fast paced-game even if it takes forever sometimes.  Crowding up the screen with chat and buttons and stuff would not be that awesome.  I think it would be better to focus on actual features of the game that would expand it.
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 6, 2009 @ 5:32pm

Cabin Boy supaflyy

Okay, time to interject a bit! 

Nanno, I also hate the idea of standardizing planet placement... as it is, it's great... no changes needed on that front. But the percent buttons change could work and integrating it all tightly into the UI through a 'control slip' could also work.

sky_lark, the aim of all our suggestions is to polish iGalcon to perfection in gameplay, user interface, graphics, sound, etc., while also adding new features. I don't think adding that control strip would overload the game with buttons, since we already have the ensign, pause button and % button... this change would simply move that all down to the bottom, potentially freeing up some space since the top area would be free of any buttons (those would be integrated into the bottom. And adding the extra % buttons would help with more quickly changing % when sending ships.

By the way, I've also mostly adapted to the current % switching system, but I still think it might work better as 4 small, separate buttons.
post updated on Jun 6, 2009 @ 5:33pm
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 9, 2009 @ 8:23am

Cabin Boy xrayjesus

Well my request would be that any changes in the interface be reverseable via the settings menu.  The slider bar could possibly work, but my initial reaction to something like that is that it's a bit complicated to use in fast gameplay.  I like hammering buttons, not to mention the fact that fleet movement can be manipulated via proper piloting.

Screen real estate is at a premium on the iphone/ipod, so I wouldn't want to see much of that be taken up by buttons and such.  Just my 3.25 cents....
post updated on Jun 9, 2009 @ 8:26am
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 16, 2009 @ 4:51pm

Cabin Boy thequeer

Using two hands is harder than using one finger (or two), and forces you to hold the phone a certain way to allow your thumb to fold over.

I propose a secondary UI element that appears after selecting the planet to attack.  So sequence is like so:

1) tap your planets to select them
2) tap enemy planet...
3) either hold and slide to selected %, or use middle finger to select %.

Crude mock up:

Edit:
Also, one should not be 'forced' to select a % in this new scheme I have proposed, but it should appear every time to give the option. One could simply tap and be done with it, and it will use your default attack %.

I think this will allow for rapid fire % changes for each attack.

Thank you for your consideration ladies and gentlemen.

Have a fabulous day.

PS: It'd be REALLY swell if galcon didn't shut down my itunes.  I prefer to play with no sound or my own music.
post updated on Jun 16, 2009 @ 5:00pm
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 16, 2009 @ 5:02pm

Cabin Boy deuce

Thanks for your input!

And about playing your own music... GUESS WHAT... you can!

Simply go into the "settings" app and then into the "galcon" settings part of it. Then you turn off the "in-game music" (or something to that effect) and there you go. Your own music will continue to play once you open galcon.
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 16, 2009 @ 5:07pm

Cabin Boy thequeer

Ah ha! Thanks deuce. I didn't think to turn the music slider down.
Re: Brilliant idea or total rubbish? :: Jun 16, 2009 @ 5:36pm

Cabin Boy deuce

Anytime :)

Page 2 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.