:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (2)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Misc. :: steve.jobs

You must sign in to post.

Page 6 / 12 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:21am

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

I care little for rank. I do play to win. That's the objective of most games! Steve.Jobs, win-whore #1 would be more accurate. I'll own that. And if you try to tell me you don't play to win you're lying. I might play a game of basketball with my little cousins and let them beat me. But in galcon opponents are anonymous strangers who change aliases at will. I don't know if there are newbies or experts in a room at any given time and I don't spend any energy trying to keep tabs on who's who. If we were face to face on a court along with good friends of mine you'd see impeccable sportsmanship. But the anonymous nature of galcon coupled with the last second team switching ability make for a completely different scenario. It's always felt like an "every man for himself" environment. Maybe that's because I haven't cared to come to the forums often. But irregardless I hope Phil changes the game. Because when I came to the forums months ago and read about the team switching problem for the first time I did play for the next two months without switching at the last second! I also didn't leave the room. Just took what I got. And I found that people didn't reciprocate. They constantly switched at the last second on me but I swallowed and played on. After two months of that I was fed up, much like many of you are fed up with it, so I went back to viewing the  universe like mad max, a cruel and dangerous world where survival is key and winning means you keep your life. Haha! But really, if you are a good player I'm not going to intentionally switch away from your team. Simple as that. So if that happened to you and you know how to play the game then it either wasn't me switching or you really messed up the last few games and you need to eat something and get some sleep before playing again ;)

And diebkstabber if you are indeed fifty6 then you are one of the best players I know and I would not have made a habit of switching away from you. That I know for sure because one thing I am is consistent.
post updated on Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:30am
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:43am

Cabin Boy badgirl

Your 2 month claim is totally untrue. People switched on you at that time BECAUSE you did it to them so much in the past.  And Diebkstabber is not Fifty6. 

Fifty6 is one of the worst players here and always leaves when "it" is getting its butt whooped.
post updated on Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:44am
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 11:09am

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee
I'm glad we all love each other so much around here. =P
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 11:39am

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

I wasn't only using steve.jobs during those two months genius. Having a discussion with you is like talking US monetary policy with a grade school kid. Done!

Nanno, please ask Phil to fix last second team switch problem? He added the timer to the last update ages ago, yet this fix is needed much more. He's got a faithful community here. Would be nice to see some attention paid to it.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 11:47am

Captain diebkstabber

Alright I said I was done, but just to clarify. No Steve.jobs I am not fifty6, so I go back to the unworthy list, haha

And second I can completely understand your MAD MAX scenario. I can appreciate someone who is honest about his intentions. If it's every man for himself when you play steve.jobs then so be it. 

And nanno we do love each other, but it's like a brothers and sisters beat each other up kinda love.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:09pm

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee
We've had a lot of debates over the team switching issue for a long time, but no one has come up with a really definitively good way to solve the problem that doesn't also add other problems. Neither Phil nor I like the team lock idea at all. However, I do not think it would be a terrible thing to make it so people can't switch in the last 3 seconds or so. That way everyone at least knows what team they are on before getting started. They can leave if they hate it badly enough (although I tend to think that's pretty lame). 

I see no problem with people leaving if they don't like their teammate (and thus giving that person two planets with which to fight), but I do have a big problem with purposefully forcing another person to lose when they are on your team and relying on your help. If you want to force other people to lose, go play FFA where you can suicide to your hearts' content. At least in FFA, everyone is previously aware that every other player is their enemy and is out to kill them and can adopt self-defensive strategies of some sort. Purposefully forcing your teammate to lose is pretty much the same thing to me as secretly teaming up in FFA games. It's a form of cheating and an abuse of the game mode.  

And yes, this is a lot like brothers and sisters. I won't deny that. I've got my fair share of younger siblings! Luckily we did eventually grow up and quit beating each other up over stupid stuff. ;)
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 12:43pm

Cabin Boy onlyplayhigh

What's wrong with the lock? If two people decide they like playing together they can lock, it's a completely mutual decision. One person can't force a lock, they both have to agree.

EDIT:: Looking at previous threads about it, it seems the only imagined drawback is that it would be unfair to lower ranked players. The ranking system is designed to be a ladder though, you have to work your way through the ranks, and if you're a new player, usually one rank at a time. If anything, the lock system would promote that. Lower ranked players would find rooms with lower ranked players while higher ranked players mostly play in locked pairs.
post updated on Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:26pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:18pm

Cabin Boy deception

Why not implement a program that distinguishes the flags and evenly distribute players according to the flags (maybe some flag formula to this) 

Example: A 2 stripe admiral, admiral, captain and cabin boy on the same server. The server will automatically try to even out the teams by putting the 2 striped admiral with the cabin boy. 
This means no one has a say in the matter as to which team they prefer  unless there's a room full of the same leveled flags (admirasl for example)

Just a thought
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:40pm

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

Interesting idea deception. But yeah, Nanno, that 2 or 3 seconds of frozen team switching would indeed solve the last second switch problem. I think it's the best compromise.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:43pm

Cabin Boy onlyplayhigh

no, people can still "last second switch," the window is just 2 seconds instead of 5. They can just switch before the lock kicks in.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:52pm

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

But they can leave before they are stuck playing with a partner they'd rather not team with. Yes, you could still switch, but no one would be a victim of it. Still have team picking power while gaining power to decline the chosen teams. Perfect compromise actually!
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:59pm

Cabin Boy onlyplayhigh

How about this. Instead of a lock, we combine the lock system and a "vote" system. 

The lock not only has the power to lock two players together, but also vote for a locked or unlocked room. If two players decide to be locked, at least one player on the other team has to also choose to "lock," aka, approve of the alliance. If both players on the other team decide to unlock, then locking isn't aloud, and they game become a classic "free switch" like it is now. This way, a group of four high ranked players who like the configuration can lock, and play against one another without having to worry about switching. However, if a low ranked player enters the room and the game becomes unfair, two players have the power to decide to break up the overpowered team and force free switching.
post updated on Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:02pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 1:59pm

1 Stripe Admiral goozok

Deception good idea.

In all honesty, if you care about rank so much and you are truly 2 or three stripes then why wouldn't you be able to win with a red flag on your team? Im. A.girl does it all the time.  Now she's an awesome player and a great sport. Games are meant to be fun.

As of Steve.jobs if you hate his tactics then don't play with him.  He has a great personality which shows well in the forums with all the personal attacks towards him.  I used to hate steve.jobs until I chatted with him. He's pretty cool so give him a chance.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:01pm

1 Stripe Admiral goozok

What if there are a few servers that have a lock in place?
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:02pm

Cabin Boy notpurple

Please enable mutually agreed team lock.... I'd like to start playing 2v2.... but team switching as it is now is just too awful
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:02pm

Cabin Boy onlyplayhigh

But they can leave before they are stuck playing with a partner they'd rather not team with. Yes, you could still switch, but no one would be a victim of it. Still have team picking power while gaining power to decline the chosen teams. Perfect compromise actually!

The problem we're trying to solve is not just "last second switching," aka being stuck with a partner you didn't intend to be stuck with. What if there are four good players in a room, 3 want to find a partner and stick with them, and one player is constantly switching. The 3-second soft lock will not solve that scenario, the troublemaker still has the ability to switch to what he considers the more talented player each game.

My idea two posts above would work better I think. 3 votes to enable lock, 2 to turn it off. lower ranked players have the power to break it, but the supermajority has the power to enable it.
post updated on Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:09pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:05pm

Cabin Boy badgirl

What's wrong with the lock? If two people decide they like playing together they can lock, it's a completely mutual decision. One person can't force a lock, they both have to agree.

I like this idea. 

PS> Deception, I don't want anything to do with a new program that forces you to partner with people based off of flags.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:11pm

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

Your idea is great! But I think maybe there could be a few servers that host that, say "challenge" rooms, where you go in knowing you and a chosen teammate will be challenging a team that's locked in already. I think this would be really fun!! It would be like a tournament built into the game! So there it is! New rooms labeled T for tournament or C for challenge in addition to the old rooms and adding 2 sec team lock feature to them. Best of both ideas implemented. Done! Phil, Nanno, need programmer help?
post updated on Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:16pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:32pm

Admiral bansky

as sj just said this topic is solved. could we please come back to the main topic of this thread!! you guys hijacked my thread. all of you deserve to be banned. especially goozok who starts kissing sj ass in MY thread. phhh.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 8, 2011 @ 2:39pm

Commander ipcress

I don't have much to contribute to the Team Switching discussion as it's rarely an issue for me. The majority of you suck so badly, choosing different partners usually makes little difference. 

I partner with a lot of lower-ranked players, too. Which is one reason I stay a Blue Flag. Big deal. I got over the retarded rank-thing ages ago.  I know who the better players are and don't need to see little colored flags. 

And there are only a handful of players in 2v2, anyway. Many of the people in this thread whining about team switching hardly play the game at all and shouldn't be here.

Page 6 / 12 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

You must sign in to post.