:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Misc. :: steve.jobs

You must sign in to post.

Page 10 / 12 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 5:26pm

Admiral strangelove

hollander said ...

@Esparano: yes, thats also what i thought. just because you can doesnt mean you should. 
    there are no rules for morals, you decide yourself what kind of player you want to be.

I never said you "should" teamswitch.  I, for one, chose to stop doing it because I care more about my relationship with my fellow galcon citizens then about winning a game.  

But I believe, since THIS ISN'T REAL LIFE... This is a VIDEO GAME developed by a HUMAN BEING named PHIL...   anything that IS allowed in the game IS FAIR. 

if you want to be a teamswitcher, so be it. nobody will stop you.

Nobody will stop you, but they will hate you.  That's going to happen whether you switch or not.  They will hate you just for being a winner.
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 5:27pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 5:56pm

Admiral strangelove

The point is this, esparano & hollander:

There is no clear "winning" or "losing" in life.  But there is in Galcon.  Whether you like to admit it or not, we all like to WIN a game of galcon.  Anything that is allowed , everything that is not cheating, is a legitimate way of increasing your chances of winning.  

Even if there was no way of increasing your odds of winning... even if every map was the same... some players would still be better than others.  There would still be whiners whining about "it's not fair because so-and-so always wins."  

___

So I ask you this...  What happens if you lost on purpose? if you didn't try your best, just to make it "fair" so no one hates you and you make everyone feel good?  WHERE IS THE FUN IN THAT?  
...  What if you're always teamed with the noob but you never leave, you just accept your lot?  Well, all of your opponents will love you!  But the game would suck for you.
.... What if you do every (legit) thing in your power to win, like switching every single game just in order to win.  People will hate you...

So where do you draw the line?  It's a game, it's fun to win, and people want to win.  If you don't like who you're playing with/against, JUST LEAVE!

That's what I do if I'm playing with a win-whore-switcher like Steve.Jobs. I just leave.  I don't try to "make a difference" "change the world" or "send a message" by suiciding and throwing a hissy fit.  

It's the perfect compromise, the perfect place to draw the line.  Unlike life, if you don't like the lot you're given in Galcon, you can just leave!
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:22pm

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

Where did this "whore" term come from? If I was getting paid to play Galcon I could see it. Everyone likes to win. I just also don't like to have to leave a room. I'll stay forever and play with noobs even. You choose to leave. I choose to stay. Main difference. But we both choose to win. We have that in common.
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:22pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:41pm

Cabin Boy spacetree

They use the term rank-whore because they believe you and others purposefully play against the worst players to improve rank and not actually challenge yourself or prove that you're better.

It really is hard to prove though, there is no way to tell who's switching. I have been in a room with you a few times where there were ONLY one-stripes and up, and you did seem to switch to the "better" player each time. You switched to me a few times when I won, and I know for a fact I wasn't the one switching, and then switched away when I made a mistake. You wouldn't stay with the same player more than two games, although again, it's impossible to tell who's doing the switching.

However, that was just one time, and I don't play against you enough to really know. It didn't bother me as much because all the players in that room were pretty good, and it didn't really seem to matter that you were switching. However, I can see how it would annoy a lot of players.

-onlyplayhigh
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:43pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 6:58pm

Cabin Boy onlyplayhigh

I can't say I agree with your "weapons of war" justification either. When I play first person shooters I see people glitch test until they find places they can jump into the wall and shoot people. The other players can't see or hit them, but can be shot by them through the wall.

They like to win too. They're also mostly children who learned the trick watching a youtube vidoe. I play games so I can actually have a mental/reflexive battle with someone. I am aware of the glitch spots but choose not to use them. I would win every game if I did. There is a very massive, justified movement in the fps community against "wall jumpers," and most games that have glitchy walls are considered bad games for a multiplayer environment and quickly lose their playerbase.

Why should the other players be mad though? War is war, we do whatever we can to win, right ;)
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 7:16pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 7:30pm

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

Good point. But this isn't a glitch. Everyone has the same options and knows how to use it

And by the way. I don't switch on a regular basis. I'm just arguing for the sake of changing attitudes about the option. You'll notice when playing with more equally matched players that after playing with me where I'm frequently winning others will start switching to me and I'll team with anyone in the room. But if a noob enters I'd rather play against them partly to beat them several times until they leave after getting sick of losing. If I'm on their team I'll help win it for them much of the time but it's not as fun picking up their mess so I'd rather play against them to discourage them from staying. That's usually easier than going to find another room with better players
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 7:39pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 8:00pm

Cabin Boy onlyplayhigh

Yeah, it is totally unprovable who is doing the switching, and you are a three-stripe, which means people will often switch to you. 

As far as this thread though, there seems to be two camps against you. Banksy and the other whiners seem intent on berating you and calling you a whore as often as possible, while a few of the very good players in the community are just saying that you play primarily for the ranking system, and that is why they have a problem with you. Their goal is to play the best, to beat the best, and to win that "no. 1 headband." they play the game, but claim that you play the ranking system and nothing more. This is a valid point, not necessarily against you, but against the game. If a player switches literally every game to the team opposite the weakest player, that player will start to rack up lots and lots of positive stats against players that may be more skilled than he/she is simply because they're paired with a worse partner each time. The player who is taking advantage of the system will go up in the ranks, but his skill may not reflect is rank, and there may be players below him that are legitimately better, but don't get the chance to prove it because of the switching. In this way, one could say that team switching is a "glitch" in the ranking system, but not the game.

Again, I don't really know, I don't play you enough, and there does seem to be a pointless amount of hate directed toward you rather than the game and it's flaws. I only came to this thread because I wanted to work through a suggestion to give to phil, because 2v2 is somewhat broken as it is.
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 8:04pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 8:08pm

Cabin Boy capt.america

Stop arguing. It's all said and done. Steve.Jobs likes to play to win and thus team switches constantly. He attains a rank in a dishonest way. That's it. Period. If you don't like him, don't play with him. It's that simple.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 9:00pm

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

I don't switch constantly. It's an occasional tool but isn't necessary to maintain three stripes. I can get to two stripes using a fresh account in a matter of 20-30 minutes. Whoever has attacked me is confused about my intentions. I like playing and strategizing. Could care less for rank. There are even quite a few high ranked players who I feel don't usually use the best strategy so I'd rather not team with them either. Stop being so quick to point the finger and draw your conclusions.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 9:44pm

Admiral strangelove

You yourself called yourself a "win-whore" SJ, I didn't make it up.  I care less about winning, I'm more of a straight up galcon-whore.  I like to win, lose, suicide and die over & over again and be reborn to play another game.  I guess a whore is just someone who likes something a little too much.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 11, 2011 @ 11:25pm

Cabin Boy esparano

@Strangelove.  I really don't see this as much different than real life.  In fact, it is real life.  Just because the media through which you're communicating with other people is an iphone game, it doesn't make it any less unsportsmanlike to stack the odds in your own favor in a game.  It's no different than teaming up on "noobs" in basketball.  It still ****es people off, makes people feel bad that you're switching away from them, and is really not encouraging to a friendly environment. 
I see nothing wrong with voluntarily rotating every now and then, as I always try to do.  It seems that, after 5 or 10 games with the noob on my team, as soon as I try to switch away to let someone else take their turn, people freak out and start switching like mad / leave the room.
post updated on Aug 11, 2011 @ 11:35pm
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 12:11am

Admiral strangelove

It seems that, after 5 or 10 games with the noob on my team, as soon as I try to switch away to let someone else take their turn, people freak out and start switching like mad / leave the room.  

yeah i agree, i like to switch off and make it fair for everyone.  But i'm just defending other people's right to team-switch like that, and I'm condemning the use of suiciding and revenge tactics on people who constantly switch.  

I don't myself condone the act of last-second team-switching.  In fact I put in an official request to implement a 2-second no-switching law here:  http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/16/5126/?cur=0 

But I am considering bringing back the old team-switcher in me just to start something... let's all become last-second team-switchers!
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 8:26am

Ensign diebkstabber

agreed nothing else to discuss. Not my style but totally legal, everyone play however they want, and everyone else can choose to stay in the room with them or not.

case closed
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 9:01am

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

Agreed. Case closed. But let me make two final observations:

Over the last week and a half I've been playing without any last second switching and little to no switching period and you know what I've found? After a few games of getting beat by me players will tend to leave the room anyway.

Another common occurrence is when the greenest player in the room is getting beat and finally switches to my team and finds that he still loses he'll then leave. I always hope it's because he's come to the realization that it's him ruining the games when he learns that even teamed with a three stripe he can't win. :)
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 9:07am

1 Stripe Admiral toomacho

Lol @steve.jobs are you just learning this right now? Welcome to the real galcon world. I hope you can keep learning the non switching tactics. It's less stressful and more fun.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 10:17am

Admiral bansky

steve.jobs said ...

Agreed. Case closed. But let me make two final observations: 

Over the last week and a half I've been playing without any last second switching and little to no switching period and you know what I've found? After a few games of getting beat by me players will tend to leave the room anyway. 

LIAR! you suicided me and you were throwing away games. without punishment. phhh. and you did all this with some of your stupid other accounts.

anyway, it´s interesting to see it only needed 10 pages in this thread to make you learn something.
loser.
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:03am

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

Humility is of greater virtue than jealousy bansky
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:09am

Cabin Boy steve.jobs

And!!! Bansky I'd expect this from you because you really are inept. But your claim of suiciding and throwing games is not only false but even if it were true it wouldn't even prove your point. I said I've been avoiding switching and you called me a liar because I suicided you. Then you call this winning player a loser. You are projecting your own feelings of inadequacy and a "loser" self image. You'd do best to quietly fade away into the bottom of the galcon ranks where you reside already. Here's to bansky/brand! To obscurity and below!
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:44am

Cabin Boy no.way

Holy f* jesus. I took a two year break from Galcon and the forums due to this horde of little girls that this community became, starting a 27-page long hate thread over the smallest bull**** event (hint: IT'S A GAME, GET OVER IT). 
Now, after 2 years I check back, and guess what: It's the same old bunch of kids like before. FACK YEAH!

I can't believe it.
post updated on Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:45am
Re: steve.jobs :: Aug 12, 2011 @ 12:58pm

Admiral bansky

sj=liar. end of story. i will stop posting in this forum. ill just concentrate on hunting idiots like you.
to all the other people constantly lying about my identity:

http://ge.tt/9jrT9m6?c 

brand out.

Page 10 / 12 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 

You must sign in to post.