:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: iPhone :: Misc. :: FFA is the best.

You must sign in to post.

Page 2 / 3 1   2   3 

Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:03pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Ip, have you even played fusion ffa? Right off the bat, fusion ffa is completely different because it allows for the third pillar of strategy, manipulation, by having chat. (Private messages make this even more strategic)
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:37pm

Cabin Boy chi-ro

Under-Sheriff
If you need the computer to step in and make moves for you, then there's something wrong with the game.

Bull. There are simply things that should never should need to be player controlled. Resource collection for one. Do you expect the player to have to run every unit back and forth collecting the fuel for your battle? There are computer controlled things for a reason. They're in every single game, be that behind the scenes or up front. This has absolutely no negative effect on the RTS.

When a game like Starcraft becomes so gargantuan that there are simply too many men to move, that's a sign it has to become turn-based.

Why? You're just spewing opinion everywhere. Something being large has no effect on whether or not it should be an RTS over a TBS. Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander 2 are excellent examples of this. They're massive games with hundreds of units per player. It works just fine, and is filled to the brim with strategy. 

One of the reasons iGalcon (2v2) works is because it's small and manageable--perfect for real-time gaming.

That's part of what makes it fun and unique. But it doesn't mean larger games are bad, it in fact takes less overall strategy. Both are equally viable and good for exactly what they're meant to do.

Go to a discussion board where they talk about gaming theory and you'll see people are always discussing the shortcomings of RTS gaming.

Gaming theory and what people arguing it believe doesn't mean crap.

The term RTS means this and only this: "Real-time strategy (RTS) is a sub-genre of strategy video game which does not progress incrementally in turns."

A game doesn't simply not belong as an RTS because it's too big, or too complex. These are all parts of the greater picture that is the genre of RTS. They're equally skill and strategy based, they simply implement it in different ways. And different people enjoy the different implementations. All implementations require strategy and skill, and are played in real time (thus all are RTS).

The whole POINT of the game is that it should be a strategy game, and NOT a contest of who can physically click/drag faster than the other guy.

An RTS isn't meant to be fully strategy with no other skill involved. That's what a turn based strategy is. The point of a RTS is that on top of thinking, you're thinking on your feet. You're moving and acting in real time, making judgments and adjustments to strategy as they go. It's a synergy of skill and tactic. It's the exact same in Galcon. I don't care how smart you are, if you can't move fast enough, and the odds are fairly even without any third party influence, you're going to lose every time. You have to have skill in EVERY strategy game.

This being said, I actually agree with you to some extent on this point. SC2 pushed speed overboard. Personally for that reason I classify it as an eSport. However, two people at a fairly equal skill level, it still comes entirely down to strategy. There is a peak of speed and skill, high level games almost always come to strategy. As do ladder games with equally skilled players. But SC2 is really the only game that emphasizes this type of speed to such an extent.

And there AREN'T a "large number of RTS games." Not successful ones, at least.

I didn't say only modern RTS games. There are plenty of older RTS' that were and still are wonderful games.

It's not comparable with a genre like FPS, but what is?
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:38pm

Cabin Boy chi-ro

Under-Sheriff
If you think Fusion is "completely different" than iGalcon, then explain the big difference.

I would echo Marky in this one. Have you ever even played the original Galcon FFA? My default guess is no, judging by your having to ask this question.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:19am

Cabin Boy LjuboM

old galcon ffa was the best, thats why everyone played ffa.
now its all about rankwhoring=camping
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:35am

Admiral ipcress

Chi-Ro wrote:

I actually agree with you to some extent on this point. SC2 pushed speed overboard. Personally for that reason I classify it as an eSport.

Thank you.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:48pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
That's why I didn't like Starcraft 2. It felt way too fast and I just felt rushed all the time. (Granted, I most certainly wasn't very good at the game, but to get better I apparently had to get even faster)
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:57pm

1 Stripe Admiral esparano

Try some Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance for some real strategy :)
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:11pm

Cabin Boy socratic

To Ipcress:

SHUTUP IPCRESS. Nobody cares about what you have to say about FFA! Let me quote you on what you always say to me. "You don't even play the game, your opinion doesn't count." For your case, "YOU DON'T PLAY FFA, YOUR OPINION DOESN'T COUNT." Other than that, there IS skill in FFA and even more in FFA FUSION. Just quit whining and trying to prove that 2v2 is better. Nobody cares.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:45pm

Cabin Boy zmar01

Try some Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance for some real strategy :)

I'm pretty good at rts games, i went through a period when i played loads of supreme commander games.

I play league of legends which is classed as an RTS. Which has 15 million players registered. And that never gets "big" or "giant"

I also play games that can be compared to imafia (i dont play imafia or any game like that) imperion, tribal wars. Where it takes years to play a game, these games are all very complex and take alot of getting used to, but they are based on activity rather than speed. even though timing often comes down to 1.thousandth of a second.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:01pm

Admiral ipcress

Socratic, do you know how discussion boards WORK?  Aric, the thread starter, said on Page 1 that his OP was meant to elicit a comment by ME.  OK?  Start your own thread and invite your retarded friends to contribute.  I won't be there.
You're just trolling at this point.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:05pm

Admiral ipcress

White flag.

bbffttttt......
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:49pm

Ensign hiphopfanz1

:OOOO
http://www.galcon.com/iphone/stats.php?name=ipcress&gtype=FFA
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:06pm

Cabin Boy chi-ro

Under-Sheriff
I take it you've given up, as you've not even attempted to defend your points.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:32pm

Admiral ipcress

Aric started this thread.  Not me.
I've been through this discussion zillions of times before. 
The older, intelligent players prefer 2v2 and the little kids like FFA.  That's the way it is.  If you think FFA iGalcon is a "strategy game," then you just don't get it.  

Oh, yeah... the link shows I played one FFA game recently.
Want to know how it went?  It was... epic.

The screen opens and the two lower ranked players start fighting.  Meanwhile, the "Pro Player" does what all Pro Players do best: he camps out and does nothing.  I fire 25 ships at his planet.  He gets angry and suicides me.

Awesome gaming!!  Great strategy!!  Lots of fun!!
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:02pm

Cabin Boy ak.sidekick

So much fun! I want to play with you next time!
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:26pm

Admiral ipcress

FFA Strategy Tip:  Don't fire at the "Pro Player" when he's busy camping--or he'll suicide you.  Best move: CAMP.
Re: FFA is the best. :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:44pm

Cabin Boy chi-ro

Under-Sheriff
So that's a yes.
FFA is the geighest :: Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:09pm

Admiral ipcress

2v2 iGalcon FtW
Re: FFA is the geighest :: Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:23am

Captain goozok

It's so funny how I'm scrolling through this thread and only stopping to read ipcress' comments lol
Re: FFA is the geighest :: Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:20am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Definitely a yes.

Page 2 / 3 1   2   3 

You must sign in to post.