:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesModsChat

Forums :: [OLD] iPhone :: Galcon Labs :: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:41pm

Cabin Boy esparano

Clan: iElite

When I first started playing Crash 1v1, I thought that it was just a stupid, 100%-ing, frantic swipe-fest, and that in order to win, all you had to do was swipe faster and more accurately, double team a few planets, provide constant support lines, etc. Then I started realizing that a fragment of strategy did exist, that it wasn't just luck with spawns and neutrals, speed, and accuracy. I sat down and thought hard about Crash 1v1, and this thread will explain what I came up with, specifically dealing with starting tactics:

The outcome of a Crash 1v1 game can be decided within the first two seconds of the game.  The vast majority of players move forward at 100% in some insane attempt to overwhelm the opponent and punish them for being slow or inaccurate.  Even the top players have told me that they start the game with 3 100% swipes. I realized that you could take advantage of this SO EASILY. I started with a few of my new strategies, and I had 4-5 of the 6 home planets within the first 5 seconds of the game. This worked extremely well, even against very good players. 

So anyway, I will start off by providing a few useful facts about the starting positions in Crash 1v1. I have categorized them all into 12 general positions. Of course, some starting positions may be in between two of the positions, but that shouldn't affect the strategies I am talking about. I have also included what I believe are the probabilities of each spawn (based on drawing out every possible starting position).

Rectangle-based starting positions:
(I just gave them random names for easy reference.)

The "Line" starting position.
     Probability: 1/20

The "Staggered" starting position.

The "Offset" starting position. 
     Probability: 1/10

The "L" starting position.

ASYMMETRICAL. (Note that you are red.)
     The "far-asymmetrical" starting position.

ASYMMETRICAL. (You are still red, but switched positions.)
     The "near-asymmetrical" starting position.

Hexagon-based starting positions:
(Some are similar to the rectangular ones, and can use the same or similar strategies. I felt it was appropriate to include these because there are significant differences in ship travel times, ship access, relative planet positions, etc.)

The "V" starting position.

The "Hex-Staggered" starting position.

The "Curved" starting position.

The "Isolated" starting position.

ASYMMETRICAL.
     The "Far-asymmetrical-hex" starting position. (You're still red.)

ASYMMETRICAL
     The "Near-asymetrical-hex" starting position (Creative names, I know.)

Ok, so there it is. These are ALL of the possible starting positions and their relative probabilities, so you can create a strategy for each one!

Now for the actual strategy part. Your goal is to use as few ships as possible to capture a planet, so that your other ships can be elsewhere doing more work, capturing planets, slowing down the opponent's fleets, protecting planets, etc. This is just one of the basic rules of Galcon that you can find in any other good strategy thread. By exploiting your opponent's 100% banzai attack, you can capture his planets with minimal force, while forcing him to over-capture your planets and waste time.
     The entire idea behind this thread is to willingly sacrifice ONE of your planets to gain two or even three of your enemy's home planets. This will give you a HUGE advantage, and it will be extremely easy to clean up. Many times, people will simply surrender in disbelief that you suddenly have 5 home planets, and they have 1 home planet with 75 ships on it.
     Now, you might be thinking that it is stupid not to use 100% right away so that you can get your ships out. However, all of your ships are in one huge group that you can't split up and deploy effectively.  First, you must use 50% to deploy your ships. THEN, you switch to 100% when the time is right to get the rest of your ships charging at the enemy.  
     It will probably be simpler to explain this in an example:

You and your opponent start off in the "line" position. This is a fairly simple position, and therefore is probably the easiest one to win. This is what the situation looks like so far:
(By the way, sorry for the crude drawings.. I don't have the fancy program like IPCRESS.)

Your opponent sends out three 100%s. You send out (from your middle planet) a 50% towards his middle planet, another 50% towards the top planet, then a third 50% towards the bottom planet. You switch to 100% and attack with your top and bottom planets. Guess who wins? The situation resolves so that you have roughly 17 ships on the top-right, 8 on the top-left, 6 on the bottom-right, and 8 on the bottom-left. Your opponent has 8 on the middle-right, and 26 on the middle-left. (He will have only have 10 if you send your 8 ships that you regenerate from the top- and bottom-left to the middle-left.) It will be very difficult for him to capture all 3 planets.
     You gave up your middle planet to secure two other planets, and in doing so forced your opponent to massively over-take your middle-left planet. Now, you attack the middle-right and take it easily, while your opponent frantically tries to make up for lost time by gearing down to 50% or so and attacking the top-left and bottom-left planets at the same time. Your top-left and bottom-left planets have a "defense number" of about 5 because of travel time and regeneration, which helps even more.

Now you might be thinking that all of this %-changing will take a while, but here is a screenshot of me doing it easily and accurately in roughly 2 seconds (plus another half second to take the picture. You can tell by the 105 ships on some planets.)

As you can see, this controlled and planned-out attack WILL succeed against any typical attack. There are only a few possible counters to this, and most involve using 25% (which slows the opponent down, in addition to reaction time/etc.), and most of these leave both players with 3 home planets.  Using a tactic like this to avoid over-capturing WILL win you the game.

Now, you may have noticed that there are some symmetrical starts and some asymmetrical starts. Symmetrical starts mean that both players are in the same position; there are no major differences, even if the planet field is slightly warped due to random positioning. Asymmetrical starts are when each player has a different starting position; each has to have a different strategy. Asymmetrical starts may be unfair to most players (and did you notice that asymmetrical starts make up for 40% of all Crash 1v1 games???) but you can still apply the same thinking to end up with 4 home planets and win the game. 
     Consider a final example:

You are red, in the close-asymmetrical-rectangular start. Your opponent will probably send 100% from his top two planets into your middle two planets. If your opponent is very good, he will send 50 ships from his bottom planet into each of your middle planets, leaving him with four planets. If your opponent is a noob, he will send 100% to your middle-right or bottom-left planet. In either situation, your counter will be the same. In the first situation, it will leave you with 3 home planets, and you will survive the "unfair" asymmetrical start. In the second situation where your opponent is a noob, you will end up with 4 planets. Let's look at the second situation in this example:

You send 50% to the bottom-right planet, then 50% to the top-left planet. You send 100% from your bottom-left and middle-left planets to cancel out the fleets. Your opponent barges foward at 100%. Even though you started in the "more difficult" position, you now have 4 planets. No matter what your opponent does with his bottom-right planet, he is stuck. If he sends 100% to the middle-right planet, he will end up with nearly 170 ships on one planet. If he sends 50% to the middle-right and 100% at the bottom-left, his fate will be the same. 

Now of course with strategies like these, you have to adapt to each situation; this isn't a cure-all for every start. You may be better off to stay using 50% and then a few 75%'s instead of 100%, but that depends on the situation. 
     To sum up, there is an extremely effective start to EVERY single one of the 12 starting positions mentioned above. I'm not going to spell out each one for you, but I just gave you two to get you started. Usually, you send most of your ships with two planets to cancel out the fleet, then double-team the two enemy planets and sacrifice your home planet. There is a solution for each one, but you just have to take the time to come up with a good solution for each :)

Hopefully this is useful to a lot of people, and it will turn Crash 1v1 from a gigantic finger-mashing party into a more strategic, civilized gametype.

-Esparano
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 1:10am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:45pm

Cabin Boy txgangsta

I'm so interested in reading this. I have a small and tentative strategy for crash, but I have nearly no tactics for when you do NOT want to play the attrition game. I was about to go to bed but then got all excited by this thread.

POST MOAR!!!
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:59pm

Cabin Boy jorgelora

Clan: Galconians

For me the best strategy of crash is send 100% in the first 2 second after  to do this star send ship of the 2 planet to one if this not work, wait and try to get more planet for have more Probability To win ,that strategy never work with esparano but with another players work .other strategy it's send  50% of one planet and 75% of another In a planet of ur enemy
(srry for my English:p)
post updated on Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:00pm
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:01am

Cabin Boy esparano

I think it's done.. I'll keep editing but this should be extremely useful! 

Edit: Holy crap that is long. It took 2 hours to write, plus another 2 hours when I figured out every possible starting position, their probabilities, and the best strategy for each.
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:05am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:06am

Cabin Boy ionizedfire

I think it's done.. I'll keep editing but this should be extremely useful! 

Edit: Holy crap that is long. It took 2 hours to write, plus another 2 hours when I figured out every possible starting position, their probabilities, and the best strategy for each.

nerd : )
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:07am

Cabin Boy esparano

Lol this was after you beat me 4-1 and I had to re-consider my strategies if I wanted to get GA in crash :)
Edit: Please consider that I'm talking about vsing the vast majority of players, and probably the only exception is IonizedFire lol.. Although it is still a very good strategy!

ALSO: NANNO if you see this, do you think there could be a separate category for Labs and its Strategies/support, etc.? Now that the player base is even bigger than regular iGalcon's, it makes sense to organize that part of the forums. Thanks.
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:18am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:21am

Cabin Boy ionizedfire

Your opponent sends out three 100%s. You send out (from your middle planet) a 50% towards his middle planet, another 50% towards the top planet, then a third 50% towards the bottom planet. You switch to 100% and attack with your top and bottom planets. Guess who wins? The situation resolves so that you have roughly 17 ships on the top-right, 8 on the top-left, 6 on the bottom-right, and 8 on the bottom-left. Your opponent has 8 on the middle-right, and 42 on the middle-left. 
     You gave up your middle planet to secure two other planets, and in doing so forced your opponent to massively over-take your middle-left planet. Now, you attack the middle-right and take it easily, while your opponent frantically tries to make up for lost time by gearing down to 50% or so and attacking the top-left and bottom-left planets. Easy win. 

Actually blue still has a chance.  The distance from the middle planet to the other middle planet is shorter than from the middle planet to the corner planets, so blue will actually grab the middle planet before red can grab the two blue corner ones.  

Once blue gets the middle red one, if he moves really quickly, he can grab the top and bottom red planets too cause they're empty.  By this time, red is probably just now trying to grab blue's middle planet, but blue is will have a slight advantage over red, cause he'll have 4 planets for a few seconds.  

But really it just comes down to speed.  Red and blue can both win from this type of start from both players, but I guess I just wanted to say blue doesn't 'automatically' lose.  Too bad me and esparano can discuss this specific game strategy for hours, but in a real game you have to decide and make these pages and pages of decisions in less than half a second, or make the decisions faster than your opponent to win the game. : )
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:22am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:34am

Cabin Boy esparano

Well of course Blue still has a chance. It's just that red has a better chance and will easily sandwich the middle planet and be on his way while blue is trying to re-capture TWO planets. Remember that blue's middle planet has roughly 8 ships (he used 100% to break through red's 50%), but red's left 3 planets have a total of up to 40 ships (16remainingships + 4seconds*2ships/second*3homes), and they will regenerate several more ships before blue can re-capture the planets (if he can at all!). 40 ships vs 50-ships? It might not be as easy as you think to capture those planets back :P
     In a game where two players have equal skill and speed, red will win most* of the time. And blue's ships will actually reach red's planet at about the same time as red's ships reach blue's planets. The diagonal difference is roughly 1.3 to 1 (slightly less than the square root of 2, because it isn't a perfect square). This is not very significant (maybe a 1.5-second difference?). However, red's 50% fleet will help slightly (about .5 seconds), and red's ships left on his planets will help too.  Also, look at the real example; notice how little difference the diagonal makes on travel time.
     If blue manages to get 3 home planets again, red WILL have a slight ship advantage. Even a 5-ship advantage is significant in a 3v3 stalemate, and this situation is likely to give red a 10-ship or larger lead. Plus, red should be able to finish up quickly and send back support fleets faster than blue.
     So all in all, if blue is a noob, he has NO chance. If he is a very good player, it will be a close game as long as red doesn't do anything stupid. Red has a slight advantage, which should be enough to easily secure the win if red's microing skills are up to par :P
     But all of this throwing around of numbers and %'s is nothing if you don't try it out for yourself. I caught some good players with this tactic, including Frd, Jorgelora, and Ambidextrous. The reason this is so difficult to counter is that the opponent is very unprepared for such an organized attack. They have to move VERY quickly if they want any chance of coming back from this. Roughly 75% of the time, they can't even get back to 3 home planets.
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 1:15am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 1:59am

Cabin Boy tinny

Clan: tinbots

Your line-position example seems overly complicated.

Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 3:58am

Cabin Boy periwink

This is interesting. A lot of Crash strategy is based on speed, like IonizedFire said, but the strategy seems to be the one of a basic 1v1 with 3 planets on normal Galcon. Nothing special for someone who can handle these.

Has anyone thought of interesting strategies concerning the particularity of Crash (aka, destruction of the ships in mid-air).

I would love to see strategies involving little fleet 'harrassing' or 'dodging' other big fleets in other to reach a tactical position.
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 6:30am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 5:30am

Cabin Boy medeman

Nice guide!

+1
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 6:40am

Cabin Boy zmar01

It is important for any planet not being under attack to attack back with all troops sent at as many close ships as possible (either in or out the planet, but preferably in) 

This is becuase you are not going to lose that planet and the ships will be needed else where.

But if your ships are in the planet when you have incoming, leave them in your planet, clashing ships mid air has similar effect to leaving them in the planet, but if you leave them in then your planet will not get taken over by that 1 ship that somehow got round the side.

say you are in this one 
The "Hex-Staggered" starting position. 

or similar where there is at least 1 loner planet.
Isolated
Far-asymmetrical-hex
Near-asymetrical-hex

I always send 125 to the loner planet, becuase not many people will be skilled enough to send exactly 125 (75 and 50) to the loner planet, then you only have to worry about incoming from 2 planets and you have 3 planets to attack from.

If they have sent 150 at your loner planet then you cant do anything with that. but with your 2 other planets you must send 75 or 100% to the enemy 2 planets, The game should be yours.

If you are the one with the loner planet, then 100% send with your 2 other planets to the closest 2 enemy planets. 

I often notice that some games of crash can end up like a roundabout. Where both teams have a planet of 30 and 2 planets of 5-10 but on opposite sides.

This is where you use your 30 to take the closest enemy planet and he does the same to you.

I know it is tempting to concentrate on swiping 100% on your offence, of using your 3rd planet (not under attack with 10 ships in) to support your advance, but you must support your defence, it is a far, far better use of troops and time.
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 7:08am

Cabin Boy manutd

Good thread man. But interestingly enough I have my own strategy somewhat similar in a way however I focus more on feeding my otter planets rather than going straight for the enemies.  Also in the line scenario I will ussually just sit tight as long as I have the better side and send out my ships and move them around protecting my planets. Makes it much easier to defend.
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 9:11am

Cabin Boy esparano

Periwink: I tried to just focus on starting positions for now, maybe we can get into mid-game tactics later. 

Tinny: It might seem complicated, but you can actually do it in about 2 seconds, and this is what will make the difference in a crash 1v1. And if you are referring to the other three swipes, these are just as essential. You create a sort of "wall" in this particular example.. Typically, your enemy will breach the "wall" in one section with way too many ships. Then the rest of your ships easily take over their planets. And if they have a different starting strategy than sending three 100%s, it will usually turn out much worse for them (5 home planets instead of 4).

Also, these are just a few examples. Most examples use a few 50%s and then a few 100%s, but some do not. It depends greatly on the starting position. This thread is just showing how to take planets with the fewest amount of ships you can so you can nab 4 homes for a few seconds (or longer).
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 9:20am
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 1:44pm

Cabin Boy txgangsta

Basically, stay away from 100% until the opening moves have been made. Use the angles of the planets to find a gap to take some planets using 100%. Gotcha. This will help. I'm going to work on the redirecting tactic to counter such moves though =)
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 3:08pm
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 4, 2010 @ 2:30pm

Cabin Boy esparano

yup, force your opponent to go through the middle gap, while you sneak right by his 100%s on the top and bottom!
post updated on Sep 4, 2010 @ 2:30pm
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:06am

Cabin Boy externalist

Clan: Guardians

Hey I just noticed in this picture that sending 100% generates exactly 42 fleets. I always knew 1 fleet does not equal 1 count, but I didn't know that 1 fleet would carry even more than 2 ships. I also noticed that if fleets collide, exactly 1 fleet is traded off with the enemy's other 1 fleet. Theoretically, it would be possible to trade off the enemy's 1 fleet that carries 2 ships with my 1 fleet that carries 1 ship. Doing so would require emptying the planet, gather 1 ship and immediately send to the enemy's fleet heading my way to erase one of the enemy's fleet, effectively winning 1 more ship than the enemy(1 ship loss of mine and 2 ship loss of enemies). In practice, this is impossible cause your fingers will be extremely busy in an already busy situation, but I could still think of where it could be used practically.

Imagine that you are in a very tight situation, where the enemy and you fought each other pretty well and both have 3 planets with 0~15 ships in each planet. Both of you are attacking each other in hope for the enemy to have their planets unbalanced, and eventually losing 1 planet for a couple seconds by mistake. However, both of you are quite good players and the battle of small fleets goes on and on for a while. This is where the above technique comes in play.

Say the enemy is sending 8 ships to you which results in 3 fleets. If you know that sending 6 ships results in the same amount of 3 fleets, and if the fleets collide, then you will effectively get 2 more fleets than your enemy. Say that you continue to accumulate 1~2 fleets at a time using the above technique. Perhaps in over 30 seconds, you will realize that you have slightly more ships than your enemy has at some point and eventually take one planet.

What I'm trying to emphasize here is, if you know the minimum amount of ships to send to generate 3 fleets, then you should try your best to always send that exact amount ships and no more, that way collision will cause a loss of ships on the enemy's side little bits at a time.
For example, if you know that 6 ships are the minimum count to generate 3 fleets and you're on 50%, wait until you accumulate exactly 12 or 13 then send. If 8 ships make 4 fleets, try to send at exactly 16 or 17 and not 18.
If you could find out that minimum count of ships for X fleets, X being 1 through 10 because usually all planets have less than 20 in small fleets battle, then you could make a chart for [minimun amount of ships : number of fleets] and memorize it, then utilize it as much as you can in real games. I think that won't be overly complicated and can be a practical technique if someone researches and uses it correctly.

What do you guys think?
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 7, 2010 @ 5:27pm

Cabin Boy esparano

.    That's not how it works... Once, in a Crash FFA standoff, I waited until I could fit 25 ships into 1 ship. Everybody was messing around, sending 1 ship out at a time and flying around the board, crashing them together and teasing/chasing each other. I raced around the board smashing through regular ships, leaving my opponents so amazed and infuriated that I got suicided after 2 minutes of parading. It's REALLY funny to try, especially when you can plow through 20+ ships with a single one. It actually keeps track of exactly how many real ships are in each "visual" ship. 
     I'd assume that if you sent two "2" ships at one "3" ship, one of your ships would be destroyed, and the other would go down to "1" ship. I'd also assume that it goes down a decimal or two to stop prople from exploiting this.. (I could be wrong, but I don't think Phil would overlook this.)
     And also: the chart would be impossible to make since the amount of "real" to "visual" ship depends on the total amount of real ships on the entire board. For example, if you have 100 ships, and all of your enemies have 100 ships, then you will probably see 40ish ships when you use 100%. However, if you have 100 ships, and your enemies each have 1000 ships, you might only see 10 ships come out of your planet. (Not that the chart would help anyway, because of what I said up there^)
post updated on Sep 7, 2010 @ 5:39pm
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 7, 2010 @ 7:56pm

Cabin Boy externalist

Clan: Guardians

.    That's not how it works... Once, in a Crash FFA standoff, I waited until I could fit 25 ships into 1 ship. Everybody was messing around, sending 1 ship out at a time and flying around the board, crashing them together and teasing/chasing each other. I raced around the board smashing through regular ships, leaving my opponents so amazed and infuriated that I got suicided after 2 minutes of parading. It's REALLY funny to try, especially when you can plow through 20+ ships with a single one. It actually keeps track of exactly how many real ships are in each "visual" ship. 

This, I did not know. I guess what I wrote in the previous post just proves how noob I am at crash. XD Thanks for clarifying esparano and people who just read my previous post, please ignore it and pretend nothing happened. :D
Re: 1v1 Crash Strategy Thread :: Sep 7, 2010 @ 8:28pm

Cabin Boy fresh.baked

Clan: Singularity

I just saw this- but I just want you to know you're wrong about the 'line' start. If you split your middle fleet, and I ram 100% through it, I have way more time to pick off your side planets than you have to take mine. 

It's one of those fundemental rules of galcon, ships going through planets are faster than ships traveling through space. .

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.