ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: Flash :: Misc. :: Galcon Flash Plans

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 14, 2009 @ 10:34pm

Cabin Boy philhassey

The Developer
Hey,

So I've been reading the threads, and there's some good stuff here!  Just so you know I haven't forgotten about flash Galcon, I'll tell you my vague plans:

- I'm doing iPhone work all this month
- Beginning of August I'm going to do a bit of Flash work 
- I'm strongly considering Facebook stuff

Lots of your ideas really require us to expand the user base (think 100s of people playing on-line.)  So if anyone has good ideas on how to make a facebook game really expand that would be great.

(And if anyone has some ideas on how to make a bit of money on the facebook game that would help too!)

Cheers!
-Phil
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 14, 2009 @ 11:41pm

Cabin Boy eragmus

Hai Phil. :D

Good move renaming Galcon to Galcon Online ;) Hopefully, that will emphasize its strengths more and get people more focused. Keep in mind that idea someone had to update Galcon Lite and make it more or less a trial version of Galcon Online, incorporating a time-limited trial of online multiplayer, perhaps. Make sure people wouldn't be able to get around the time-limit by just re-downloading Galcon Lite, though ;)

For 2v2 ranks, this is what I'm thinking. IN GAME, show the FFA rank when playing a FFA game, the 2v2 rank when playing a 2v2 game, both ranks if you choose to setup a more elaborate lobby system with your individual player info listed on the screen... ON THE FORUMS, perhaps show both ranks next to your name, like (FFA RANK) / (2v2 RANK). Try to read over the 2v2 ranks (beta) thread also, when you have a chance, as there have been good points made on this issue whether to show the flag or not, -- http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/17/2022/ -- essentially, I think it's only fair if those who only play 2v2 get to see their 2v2 rank in the game. It's also an added incentive for players to play 2v2 if they see their 2v2 rank listed right there. It adds an extra "achievement", per se, that players can strive for. Finally, can you please post Rank Reqs at some point for 2v2? Thanks.

One other concern about iGalcon. Try to figure out a way to let those with a space in their name register their name/account on galcon.com, even though it has a space. Basically, I just wanted to point out to deal with that issue somehow... if it's not possible to have an account with a space, then at least let people know their accounts can be stolen without registering them and that they should create a new nickname and register it to protect their (future) account. Also, people don't understand the deal with nicknames and registering and accounts anyway, as shown by this review for Galcon Online, so keep this in mind:

Sorry for injecting all this iPhone/iTouch Galcon matter here, but I had to...

~~~~~

Now back to Galcon Flash!

In case you missed it, please try to take care of the "server disconnected" error... whenever I go check something on another tab in Safari, I get a "server disconnect" on the tab with my Flash Galcon game and automatically get kicked from the server. It seems to be common for everyone else, too. If this is possible to fix, pleaseee do so.

Okay now, as for expanding Galcon's exposure on the Internetz and expanding its pool of players by utilizing Galcon Flash, here's an idea I emailed you, copied and pasted to allow anyone else to comment.

You know how you said you wanted to attract more players by expanding Flash Galcon by converting it into a Facebook app? Well, there's another site called Kongregate with tons of flash games and a large community. In fact, there are various clones of Galcon (all are inferior, of course, even to the flash version of Galcon!) there. You should upload Galcon to that site and through the description or in-game, advertise desktop galcon and iphone/itouch galcon. Yeah? Also, Kongregate shares 50% of the ad revenue that is generated with the game's creator. The concept of Galcon seems very popular on this flashing gaming site, and so I think you should take advantage of this ASAP, before the update comes out, and expand the audience through this. If there's a way for you to link the multiplayer from Flash Galcon on galcon.com and the Kongregate Flash Galcon, that would be even better!

Let me know what you think! The Facebook Flash Galcon app idea is also pretty great! There might even be other flash game communities, besides Kongregate.

Here's the homepage of that site: 
http://www.kongregate.com 

Here is a terrible ripoff of Galcon:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/ArmorGames/phage-wars-2 
http://armorgames.com/play/2675/phage-wars 

Another clone:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/badben/nano-war 

Another:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Badim/elite-forces-clone-wars 

And another (sigh...):
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Lionga/lionga-galaxy-multiplayer-realtime-strategy 

Here are actual mentions of Galcon by people on the site lol:
http://www.kongregate.com/search?q=galcon 

Here's info on uploading a game and sharing in the ad revenue:
http://www.kongregate.com/pages/help#how 
http://www.kongregate.com/pages/earn
post updated on Jul 15, 2009 @ 12:24am
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 15, 2009 @ 7:00am

Cabin Boy dorus

Nice write-up eragmus.

I would like to add to that that the galcon flash version is not even very discoverable even on galcon.com. yes, there is a link in the red banner on every page, but it's not on http://www.galcon.com/games/ also, classic galcon still shows $ 19.95 while that should be $ 7.95 (and mention that it ships including flash galcon).

ps. i found flash galcon through jayisgames.com, but +1 on the Kongregate idea, flash galcon needs more players so we can get higher ranks, like they got on desktop galcon :D

edit: correct benign, i found galcon.com trough jayisgames, but that was to play The Maze of MADNESS. The email pointed me to flash galcon.
post updated on Jul 15, 2009 @ 10:59am
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 15, 2009 @ 10:36am

Cabin Boy benign

Definately cool. I agree with uploading it to that one game website. Also, like Dorus, I probobally never would have found out about Flash Galcon if I had never gotten that email. Then I played for a few days, got the highest rank, then stopped :P.
Anywayzz, I'm not sure about weather or not classic Galcon dropped in price, but yesterday I told my friend about Galcon and they said it was 2.99 on the app store. I thought you lowered it to a dollar?

Facebook Galcon would be sweet, it would attract a lot of people (Not kidding, maybe thousands of players!) if you advertise it there right. Try to get it on like... a featured page of facebook apps or something!
A trial version JUST like flash Galcon for galcon.com would be perfect. No name, rank, or talking. (Maybe talking, up to you.)
Then they can choose to buy it from Galcon.com and play it paid from Facebook?
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 15, 2009 @ 2:27pm

Cabin Boy sky_lark

@ benign: I think the dollar sale was only for a few days to celebrate the release of Flash.

I don't think a trial version is a good idea.  Think about Classic Galcon.  The trial version didn't do so great.  I'm not trying to be offensive, and I'm not saying it will fail for iGalcon, but people could find ways around it.  And besides, it's very rare to see apps with trial versions... it just doesn't seem ideal to me.  Put a lot of limitations, advertisements, nag screens, etc., but not a trial.

I don't know how you could make money on FB or how that all works, but log into FB and go here: http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=108792659049 

This is a game called Legions, by InstantAction.  They put a really great game into a FB app and to me it looks like it's doing good.  It's basically the singleplayer version of the game where you try and go for the best time, and then there's a big leaderboard for your friends and FB peoples.  I think the same could be done for Galcon.  Put classic singleplayer or maybe some missions on FB and some highscores for your friends and FB peoples and it should be good.  If you can figure out how to make it be multiplayer you could make a separate little multiplayer game but I don't think that's necessary.

Thanks!
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 15, 2009 @ 4:28pm

Cabin Boy eragmus

Replying to certain points raised by sky_lark:

Phil, as I said in my previous post, if you can find a way to update Galcon Lite so that it is a time-limited or game-limited version of Galcon Online that people cannot get around by simply deleting/re-downloading the app, then definitely go for it. Multiplayer is where it's at and most people who review Galcon Lite tend to comment that the AI isn't all that good... I will never stop playing Galcon Online because it's the people that make it fun for me. Without them, there's NO REASON for me to play this at all... if you are unable to create a version of Galcon Lite that will limit players to online access by whatever way, then it's up to you whether you care to let a few people slip through the defenses and get their online access for free with Galcon Lite.

Now as for the Galcon Flash app, multiplayer is again going to be essential for Galcon to become very popular. Otherwise, I really fear it will get nowhere... linking the multiplayer from Galcon Flash on galcon.com and Galcon Flash uploaded to Facebook/Kongregate/etc. is hopefully achievable to keep the community whole? If you can get all this worked out, word-of-mouth about Galcon will spread and Desktop and iTouch/iPhone Galcon will hopefully benefit too!
post updated on Jul 15, 2009 @ 4:28pm
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 15, 2009 @ 5:35pm

Cabin Boy 885

I agree with dorus that it is HARD to find Galcon Flash. Like, someone sent me the link, and i started playing, but even a few days later, I could only find it by going straight to the link he sent me (with /flash already in it), or else I couldn't find it on the site. Took me a while to finally notice it in the red banner, it should be in the top next to Desktop and iPhone, really.

edit:
And whenever you start working on the flash version again, please add the team mode (besides the time limit you mentioned, which is a great idea also), because it is rather boring playing with several players when everyone just sits and wait to have a chance at winning. Currently, 1 on 1 is the only way to get nonstop action,  3 players is the worst of all, and 4 or more players is just a matter of who has the most patience to sit and wait for the others to kill themselves. Having 2 teams would be great, as it would simulate a 1 on 1 but with many players, rather than the sit-and-wait FFA, so people would actually be doing something.
post updated on Jul 15, 2009 @ 5:48pm
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 15, 2009 @ 5:44pm

Cabin Boy eragmus

Hmmm... Phil, maybe change the background from red to a yellow. It might stand out more against all the other colors in the area. It is logical to create it's own page though, next to classic/desktop and iphone/itouch "tabs" on top, as it has it does have its own forum and ranks and is pretty full fledged
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 10:28am

Cabin Boy nazztazz

@phil

I'm trying to make a Galcon App for my own social network (french community). I see that you forward credentials to the flash applet (gc_name and gc_token). Unfortunately (or fortunatly :P ) I cant calculate the sha1 keycode used to authenticate the player, so I'm not able to permit registered users to play on their account :(

n00b-mode works well, but the goal is to make them register (then you earn some money) and they can't use their account on my website :(

2 solutions for that:

- Open a webservice to permit me authenticate the players (bad idea)

- Use cookies to authenticate players (on your domain galcon.com) so french players on my website are auto-logged, 'cause I load the applet directly from your domain (best solution)

You can answer directly by mail at: nazztazz (at) nextgeneration (dot) fr
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 11:51am

Cabin Boy philhassey

The Developer
@nazztaa - can you send me a link to whatever it is you're working on?

Thanks!
-Phil
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 11:55am

Cabin Boy nazztazz

ofc: http://apps.nextgeneration.fr/Galcon/ 

note that apps subdomain isnt propagated yet ; so ( i guess you're running unix/macos )

echo "194.242.114.114 apps.nextgeneration.fr" >> /etc/hosts
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 11:57am

Cabin Boy nazztazz

and note, i'm using 100000 - 999999 range for my n00b usernames, since yours stop at 99999
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 5:18pm

Cabin Boy eragmus

wow, nazztazz, nice job integrating the galcon flash app into your social media site! PHIL! he brings up a good point... you should let anyone integrate your app for free into their site... it already has the links to buy the full version with desktop + flash rankings/name and it'll help bring lots more players onto the servers!

read my long post above ^ though for more...
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 5:44pm

Cabin Boy nazztazz

Thx.

Actually there are many problems integrating galcon on other sites ( I mentionned that earlier, player authenticating etc ).

Phil, really need your help to understand how I can build the sha1 check. In return, I can build a french galcon community. Win-win process. You have players, I have users on my community.
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 7:00pm

Cabin Boy 885

yeah, more players!
and good idea to use different numbers, that way we can even know where the person is playing from, if we want to keep track for some reason :)
maybe you could even use the same numbers but with a different prefix  say n00bFR-00000 ~99999
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 17, 2009 @ 7:17pm

Cabin Boy nazztazz

nice idea :))

I choose n00b-fr-XXXXX with ids from 10000 to 99999

now i need phil's help to calculate the sha1 checksum
(tried sha1(password), sha1(password + key_code), sha1(keycode + password) but no one works :( )

btw ranks are translated now:

http://apps.nextgeneration.fr/Galcon/scores
post updated on Jul 17, 2009 @ 8:13pm
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 8:35am

Cabin Boy sky_lark

Sorry to interrupt...

wow, nazztazz, nice job integrating the galcon flash app into your social media site! PHIL! he brings up a good point... you should let anyone integrate your app for free into their site... it already has the links to buy the full version with desktop + flash rankings/name and it'll help bring lots more players onto the servers!

I'd like a small embed Galcon with one small Classic mode and links to this website that we can put anywhere... that would be awesome.
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 22, 2009 @ 4:26am

Cabin Boy nazztazz

Unfortunately, you cant embed galcon just with  tags, you have to build little server-side logic too. I'm still waiting for phil's hint, about registered passwords' hashing.
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 22, 2009 @ 4:27am

Cabin Boy nazztazz

Hey phil, XSS warning
Re: Galcon Flash Plans :: Jul 22, 2009 @ 10:29am

Cabin Boy philhassey

The Developer
@nazztazz: hey - sorry it's taking me a while to get back to you on stuff.  The login is via cookie, so if they login on this site, they'll be logged in.  I'm on a big iphone push this month, but 1st week of next month I'll be more into the flash stuff .. being just one guy, I can't do everything at once ;-)

As for XSS - can you send me a message at galcon.com about that?

Thanks!
-Phil

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.