:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: Flash :: Misc. :: Surrendering?

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 1 1 

Surrendering? :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 9:18am

Cabin Boy sky_lark

I just tried the tactic using all one hundred percent of ships, sending them to an isolated planet, and surrendering.  Suddenly, my ships vanished! Huh?

OK. In Classic and iPhone, you could fly around while surrendered.  Why can't we have this for Flash?  It just doesn't make sense for your ships to just vanish.  In fact, that move cost the game right there.

Thanks.

EDIT: Changed title to sound more appropriate and less vicious. :P
post updated on Aug 16, 2009 @ 2:59pm
Re: Surrendering a bit off? :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 10:09am

Cabin Boy voodoox

dont surrender :) surrender means you give up so it should cost you the game...
Re: Surrendering a bit off? :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 10:40am

Cabin Boy dorus

Yeah, i saw you do that. You should wait till your fleet arrived on the planet before you surrender at least. Also, i dont know how surrender works in iGalcon, but in flash galcon, there is no second place, so surrendering and then stick around has no use.
Re: Surrendering a bit off? :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 7:05pm

Cabin Boy sky_lark

It's a tactic.  You'd be surprised at how many times I win because of it.  I send all my ships to one planet and surrender.

- I now know exactly how many ships I have.

The others scramble towards the planets.  Nearly always this results in a fight of some kind.

- Ends nearly all stalemates.

People automatically assume that I am now tiny and don't worry about me.  They do their fights.

- I come in later and win.

Sometimes the surrounding planets will even be given up to me, as a result of a battle or not.  The tactic doesn't make much sense, and if you think about it for a second you don't see any pros, but it works great for me.

It  costed the game there only because I lost everything.  I had a couple thousand ships which I could have used towards winning but I couldn't because they were gone.

And the whole point of surrendering is to show people... free planets!  Sometimes people don't catch on unless it's laid right out for them.  And if they do catch on, it's not a heated battle.

If it doesn't go into a heated battle, then I'll do it again.  And again.  And eventually it does.  Overall, it shows who's awake and who isn't and gets the game moving.  I don't see any pros for having your ships disappear when you surrender.

@ voodoox - That is the definition, to give up, but it's a tactic.  If "surrender" was called "cookie", then I'd cookie and perform the same tactic.

@ dorus - But I don't just stick around.  To most people I become invisible lol.  I just wait to attack.  Sometimes I'll have to do it again if another player wasn't smart enough to realize that there were free planets and missed out, and somebody is too large.  I can also take my planets, wait a little bit, and then do it again.
Re: Surrendering a bit off? :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 8:46pm

Cabin Boy 885

How do you "come later and win" if you have surrendered?
Maybe in iPhone or other galcons is where it doesn't make much sense, because supposedly (and as it is in Flash Galcon), if you surrender, it means you SURRENDER. You're out. There is no way to win by surrendering because that means you just accepted that you lost, you gave up. It is like clicking "I lose". If it was called COOKIE, then it would be something ELSE. But its called surrender and it means you give up and lose everything you have.

It is exactly like if you claim "I clicked Menu or Leave Server and I lost all my planets, i wanted to stay and win after clicking Leave Server, it's a tactic just so others think I'm gone... I then come back to the server and use my ships to kill everyone, why don't I have my ships anymore, it makes no sense"
post updated on Jul 21, 2009 @ 8:56pm
Re: Surrendering a bit off? :: Jul 21, 2009 @ 9:13pm

Cabin Boy Nanno

The Queen Bee
Sky_Lark, 

Flash Galcon IS different from the other versions in terms of the surrender. There are a few little quirky differences like that, mostly because Phil paid someone else to write the code for the particular game, as opposed to the others. I'm not sure I like not being able to resurrect--makes the game more interesting if people can empty their planets and fly in my opinion--but that's just how it goes when Phil hands the project to someone else. =)
Re: Surrendering a bit off? :: Jul 29, 2009 @ 12:50pm

Cabin Boy sky_lark

885: First off, I understand surrendering should wipe your existence.  But in all other Galcon games, you are allowed to float around after surrendering.
Surrendering in definition is to give up.  But in Galcon, it just means to give up your planets and continue floating around if you choose.  I was just surprised not to see this happen in Flash.  Ever heard the term "suiciding"?  You don't have to be completely dead to be a suicider, although the term means you end up dying.  The actual definition and the Galcon term are two different things.
It's like if you've been taking the bus to work all your life.  A new advanced bus appears and you decide to take it, and because it's based off of the old bus you expect it to take you straight to work.  When it doesn't, you'd be surprised too.
Same thing here.  In all the other Galcon games you surrender your planets are gone but not your ships.  A new Galcon game comes and I expect it to be the same, but it's not.  I now understand what happens and I can prepare.  I was a bit surprised so I made this thread.

nanno: Thanks for clearing it up.  I'm perfectly fine with differences, I just had expected it to be the same.  In addition, it looked quite a bit like iPhone Galcon so again, I had expected it to be the same.

Thanks all!

Page 1 / 1 1 

You must sign in to post.