:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: Galcon Fusion :: Strategy :: Anti camp solution!

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 9:49am

Cabin Boy smileplz

I have an elegant solution to the problem of camping, an option where by everyone's ship numbers are not hidden. This would make for completely different strategies of deploying ships and there could be no hiding away in the corner with thousands of ships as the others would get wise to it and target that player. The game play would be manic and fast moving too. What do you think?
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 10:08am

Cabin Boy rhydon

Nope. Besides the fact that destroys almost any serious strategy Galcon could've had at one time, it also ruins the game for the people who use manipulative tactics.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 10:10am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
That kind of does destroy manipulation completely. 

-1 this_idea
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:11am

Cabin Boy smileplz

That is the point, it is a test of brute skill over manipulation. A bit like 2 men laying down their guns to fight it out with fists alone. Instead of an option you could have devoted rooms so people could decide if they wanted to go for the numbers revealed game or classic.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:17am

Cabin Boy disciplina

Everyone starts with same amount of ships on start, and everyone see whole map at same time. You can not hide ships or manipulate people who are watching whole things that are going around map.

If people manage to hide ships from you, then you suck at general awareness..no offense... xD
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:22am

Cabin Boy swollenpig

Yes. This would make a game type that camping is very rare. Just like the already existing teams game type.
      What I would do, if I were to make a "classic" based game type with very little camping, would be to simply have it /stop the second time the standoff timer pops out, so people would try to grab as many planets as possible constantly, knowing that the biggest would undoubtably win. Manipulation would probably be made even more important for this, instead of getting rid of it.
      Naturally, any standoff-ending game type would have to be ranked separately, as it would ruin some strategies, and wouldn't be quite the same.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 12:44pm

Cabin Boy mongoose

if you couldn't pretend that you have a lot of ships when you don't. In addition, players would confuse other planets for theirs e.x. Purple and periwinkle, green and mint, red pink and orange, exc. Also, this strategy promotes manipulation bc someone can convince someone else to attack the player with the most ships, winning the game. And there would be no doubt who the biggest player is. 
-1 this idea
post updated on Aug 2, 2011 @ 12:45pm
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 12:46pm

Cabin Boy mongoose

Yes. This would make a game type that camping is very rare. Just like the already existing teams game type.
      What I would do, if I were to make a "classic" based game type with very little camping, would be to simply have it /stop the second time the standoff timer pops out, so people would try to grab as many planets as possible constantly, knowing that the biggest would undoubtably win. Manipulation would probably be made even more important for this, instead of getting rid of it.
      Naturally, any standoff-ending game type would have to be ranked separately, as it would ruin some strategies, and wouldn't be quite the same.

That is a good idea: a timed gamed mode so that when the timer runs out the biggest person would win
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 6:37pm

Cabin Boy rhydon

We did timer on IA. Camping still happened, and the games were pretty crappy.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:42pm

Cabin Boy frysauce

I liked the timer.

Anyway, a big -1 to this whole idea. besides that it will take out a lot from this game, I think it would have the opposite effect you think, and promote camping.

Take any game with more than a few people. Showing how many ships each player has publicly will dissuade them from attacking each other, because if they do attack, everyone else on the board will know not just if they are weak, but exactly how weak, thus making attacking much more risky unless you have a large advantage.

I think the original idea was that if everyone knows all of the ship numbers they will know who is the biggest, and will attack them. In reality if someone is big enough that you NEED to attack them it is pretty obvious...

On your comment about hiding out being eliminated: Not entirely true, a good player, even a bad one, can spot someone hiding out in a corner. The problem is not lack of knowledge, it is lack of power to do anything about it. If you try to take them out someone else will attack you. And before you try and say that people can band together and kill them, I must say that in all of the time I have been playing galcon I have seen that happen only ONE time I can think of. It simply doesn't work, and I am not just talking about secret stashes, I am including flat out turtling.
post updated on Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:50pm
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 6:18am

Cabin Boy yusuke

We did timer on IA. Camping still happened, and the games were pretty crappy.

What it did happen on IA is way better than what it's happening now in Fusion.When there was a 5minutes-timer I don't think that someone could camp and win that round,too.

-1 for the idea with no hidding ships...how should I have a chance to win,after I did kill someone,if the one next to me can see how weak I am...
post updated on Aug 3, 2011 @ 6:25am
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 7:09am

Cabin Boy mrpickles

^^
Right.   

The IA timer was a good thing.  Lots of incentive to play.

This thing about revealing ship numbers...not a good thing.

BTW, when was the last time one of these suggestions for a mod was actually implemented?
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 7:49am

Cabin Boy rhydon

The 5 minute timer if ever, was rarely used especially by most the people I played with. When IA started showing those ads killed the 5 minute game for me completely, and I thought most people followed, so I can't really vouch for the 5 minute game, but 15 was alright, though I really wished we could've had a longer timer. I just don't like the timer idea at all. If you want to kill a large majority of the player-base's strategy, and alienate most of them by making them play faster, expect to lose a large majority of users.

Also, why do you guys want the games to go so fast? I like the slow and relaxed games. I can talk and not have to watch the game like a hawk while doing so. It just seems to me that a majority of the people who are pushing for faster games aren't the people who are usually fun to play with in the first place.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 8:14am

Cabin Boy disciplina

@ Rhydon not our fault that you can't handle to play higher paced games... ;x

Every higher "skilled" players out there like to play faster paced games, and the one who says no is a liar about it or they got their rank and reputation on free wins... again no offense to anyone...

About IA timer and ads on it in last few weeks of it... they were popping out every 3-5 games in row, yes it was a bit spooky to wait for that ads to pass but still it was fun from time to time... also when ever i was online on IA and made galcon "server/room" i was putting 3min timer and believe me everyone who was playing at that moment had awesome fun...
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 8:47am

Cabin Boy rhydon

@ Rhydon not our fault that you can't handle to play higher paced games... ;x

I wasn't talking about myself not being to handle them, but the fact they're just not as fun to me. 

P.S. Seeing as you're no mind reader, I'd really like to see some proof about higher skilled players lying if they say they don't like high paced games. Saying something like that with certainty, is quite, well annoying.
post updated on Aug 3, 2011 @ 8:50am
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:06am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
@mrpickles: (Mildly) Sadly, never.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:38am

Cabin Boy disciplina

Hmm guess i incorrectly pronounced myself about skilled people doesn't like it or they lie about it... 

If you would like to have some proof ask any "top" players does they like faster paced games/rounds or slow as hell (camping only) games/rounds... Think i already know what ratio on it would be. 

Well same as it is not fun for you to have fast paced games to me it is not fun to camp and do nothing for 45min and then someone got disconnected or someone get battery dead and whole round/game go to **** because we all were camping (aka free wins), + do you think that in fast paced games aren't jokes or talking and chilling around???

I am thinking on fakers who think they are good enough to compete in fast paced games, because they only know approx two tricks in their head and those are camping and turtle... and when they do get to some faster rounds then they leave after two losses... These would be that slackers i mention. ;x
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:46am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Disciplina, stop making assumptions about skill level, geez. There's no correlation whatsoever between the kind of game a player prefers and their skills, so stop being such a sillyface about it. 

To answer one of your questions, no, there isn't much talking in shorter (FFA) games. 

I personally don't mind longer games, especially if we never get stuck in a standoff. I think rhydon likes getting stuck there, which I think is strange as well. That doesn't mean, hoewver, that I'm going to sillily assume he's not a "top player" because of it.
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 12:04pm

Cabin Boy disciplina

Well with all my experience and time i spent while playing galcon i believe i can do assumptions about play-style on fusion... even so if people think i am silly enough to make such statements.

To comment on that state about no talking in fast paced rounds, i am very sad to mention that you haven't had yet some good and fun fast paced games... ;x

No offense but here isn't point about long games, of course everyone would like to play or even watch good long games, where is constantly movements around map.

I believe everyone can camp, it is the easiest thing you can do as tactic in galcon, sit do nothing whole round, wait for everyone to lose ships then come to play and pewpew them all... every one can do that but yet only few can do that with success...

I didn't say that he(Rhydon) or even you marky isn't top player, i am just saying that almost everyone cry about this anti camping and yet no one have done something to change it in game.

And then we mention about no ranks servers, if you don't think you are rank whore then you can act in game to clean out camping style of play, if you don't like that kind of style...
Re: Anti camp solution! :: Aug 3, 2011 @ 2:29pm

Cabin Boy rhydon

Well with all my experience and time i spent while playing galcon i believe i can do assumptions about play-style on fusion... even so if people think i am silly enough to make such statements.

To comment on that state about no talking in fast paced rounds, i am very sad to mention that you haven't had yet some good and fun fast paced games... ;x

No offense but here isn't point about long games, of course everyone would like to play or even watch good long games, where is constantly movements around map.

I believe everyone can camp, it is the easiest thing you can do as tactic in galcon, sit do nothing whole round, wait for everyone to lose ships then come to play and pewpew them all... every one can do that but yet only few can do that with success...

I didn't say that he(Rhydon) or even you marky isn't top player, i am just saying that almost everyone cry about this anti camping and yet no one have done something to change it in game.

And then we mention about no ranks servers, if you don't think you are rank whore then you can act in game to clean out camping style of play, if you don't like that kind of style...

Camping is a strategy that works. Old players are using it and so are new players, which make it the *:O* Majority! To me, you sound like the guys who used to play pro football when the running game was king. They all complain about how the passing game will ruin football and such, but guess what ? They were all retired has-beens that were stuck in a time long ago with little relevance to now. They realized that, and maybe you should follow the same road.
post updated on Aug 3, 2011 @ 2:29pm

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.