:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: Galcon Fusion :: Strategy :: Diplomacy

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

Diplomacy :: May 24, 2012 @ 8:05pm

Cabin Boy Colt

I have noticed theres a lot of differences in opinion on whether or not people should talk to each other about the game, on whether person A should attack person B, or maybe should we all attack ginormous person C. Now im not talking about two people messaging each other planning on teaming from the start. But should you be able to agree on (temporary) ceasefires? Brown-nose someone into letting you live? Or should chat be reserved only for unrelated discussion? What do you think?
Re: Diplomacy :: May 24, 2012 @ 8:17pm

Cabin Boy melek

You're supposed to use the chat as a manipulation box if your foes arent as good as you :P

Else just try shiip movement, it works marvels
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 7:49am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Diplomacy is a pillar of strategy. Anyone that says otherwise is a fool. (And disallowing pillars of strategy would just be stupid)

edit: Added the parenthetical to more directly answer his question.
post updated on May 25, 2012 @ 7:50am
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 10:41am

2 Stripe Admiral markuson

Diplomacy is a pillar of strategy. Anyone that says otherwise is a fool. (And disallowing pillars of strategy would just be stupid)

edit: Added the parenthetical to more directly answer his question.

You used the words fool and stupid so diplomatically, too!
;)
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 11:47am

Cabin Boy melek

Diplomacy in galcon is like in between countries, it's all bull....
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 12:25pm

Cabin Boy concretewave

You could say Diplomacy is dead in galcon. Since we only use it to better our own ends.
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 4:58pm

You could say Diplomacy is dead in galcon. Since we only use it to better our own ends.

In a game where the agreed-upon goal is to kill all...diplomacy is tough.
;)
Diplomacy?  Doubtful...
Fairness and decency while playing are better goals.

;)
post updated on May 25, 2012 @ 5:00pm
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 6:29pm

Ensign KylerCA

Exactly!

+1
Re: Diplomacy :: May 25, 2012 @ 7:16pm

Cabin Boy socratic

Definition of Diplomacy in the real world: 

1.The profession, activity, or skill of managing international relations, typically by a country's representatives abroad

Definition of Diplomacy in the Galcon world:

1. The fierce use of emotions, friendliness, banter and deception in order to better ones own game
Re: Diplomacy :: May 26, 2012 @ 7:44am

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
It's the same definition; you just need to make the logical substitution of "player" for "country".
Re: Diplomacy :: May 31, 2012 @ 3:21pm

Cabin Boy chi-ro

Under-Sheriff

Errr I don't understand the problem. If I truce with someone and we both grow, I've been diplomatic and we've both become stronger. Even if one person doesn't grow, as long as the truce is in play that persons standings in the game are stronger than before.

There is a fine line between diplomacy and manipulation, but it's still a fairly clear line.

You use diplomacy temporarily throughout the game to increase your standings leading to end game, and thus strengthen your chances of winning. And it usually helps both players involved.
Re: Diplomacy :: May 31, 2012 @ 7:27pm

Cabin Boy concretewave

Errr I don't understand the problem. If I truce with someone and we both grow, I've been diplomatic and we've both become stronger. Even if one person doesn't grow, as long as the truce is in play that persons standings in the game are stronger than before.

There is a fine line between diplomacy and manipulation, but it's still a fairly clear line.

You use diplomacy temporarily throughout the game to increase your standings leading to end game, and thus strengthen your chances of winning. And it usually helps both players involved.

My point is kinda that..you use diplomacy as a form of manipulation.. Even if you don't follow through on your half of the deal..Theres alot of situations involving it.
Re: Diplomacy :: May 31, 2012 @ 8:14pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Diplomacy and manipulation are unrelated. Pure diplomacy feeds off pure rationality. You can mix some manipulation in, but it's not necessary.

edit: Oops. Left a word in on accident. "...diplomacy is feeds..." -] "...diplomacy feeds..."
post updated on May 31, 2012 @ 8:14pm
Re: Diplomacy :: May 31, 2012 @ 9:28pm

Diplomacy and manipulation are unrelated. Pure diplomacy feeds off pure rationality. You can mix some manipulation in, but it's not necessary.

edit: Oops. Left a word in on accident. "...diplomacy is feeds..." -] "...diplomacy feeds..."

Hahahaha!  What World Civ professor fed you that line? ;))))
If you think diplomats are intimately involved in the manipulationbusiness...u r nuts.

Diplomats around the world are simply the "nice" face placed upon the ongoing, and over-all strategy of international manipulation...and this is true for ALL diplomats regardless of their homeland's particular form of government.

They aren't there just sent to very corner of the globe to shake hands and throw parties... Lol! There's an agenda in.....every...single...case.

Diplomacy......and manipulation....are VERY much related in the real world...and very often a part of the Galcon world.

:)
post updated on May 31, 2012 @ 9:35pm
Re: Diplomacy :: May 31, 2012 @ 10:14pm

Cabin Boy marky1991

Deputy
Diplomacy need not involve manipulation at all. (And in galcon (what I was primarily talking about in that post), it quite often doesn't). Where there's smoke, there need not be fire. (Not quite as good a metaphor as I'd like, but it's pretty close)

Hmm, perhaps a better metaphor would be peanut butter and jelly; whenever you make a sandwich with peanut butter, you're almost always going to use jelly too, but you could just as well make a bare peanut butter sandwich or even a jelly sandwich. (Neither sounds all that great, of course, but that's the idea)
Re: Diplomacy :: Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:01am

Diplomacy need not involve manipulation at all. (And in galcon (what I was primarily talking about in that post), it quite often doesn't). Where there's smoke, there need not be fire. (Not quite as good a metaphor as I'd like, but it's pretty close)

Hmm, perhaps a better metaphor would be peanut butter and jelly; whenever you make a sandwich with peanut butter, you're almost always going to use jelly too, but you could just as well make a bare peanut butter sandwich or even a jelly sandwich. (Neither sounds all that great, of course, but that's the idea)

Point was simple. To say diplomacy and manipulation are UNRELATED is silly.  It is extremely common for them to be absolutely related and even dependent upon each other.  This doesn't mean one cannot exist without the other...but they are most certainly and commonly...related. ;)

On the other hand... Who cares?! ;)
post updated on Jun 2, 2012 @ 12:47pm
Re: Diplomacy :: Jun 2, 2012 @ 1:43pm

Cabin Boy dart96

Only noobs. XD
Re: Diplomacy :: Jun 2, 2012 @ 1:46pm

Cabin Boy chi-ro

Under-Sheriff
Eh, I dont see them as being as common as you seem to think. But I tend to play with a fair level of chivalry/honesty in my diplomacy. That doesn't mean others do though. So I accept my view of the issue to be possibly clouded by my own standards.
Re: Diplomacy :: Jun 2, 2012 @ 8:35pm

Cabin Boy rhyperior

I wouldn't call them related at all. They just seem to coincide fairly frequently with some players. I certainly wouldn't call them dependent on each other, in any meaning of either words.
Re: Diplomacy :: Jun 3, 2012 @ 3:09am

Eh, I dont see them as being as common as you seem to think. But I tend to play with a fair level of chivalry/honesty in my diplomacy. That doesn't mean others do though. So I accept my view of the issue to be possibly clouded by my own standards.

I was talking about the real world of diplomatic activities...which was brought up earlier.

Being "diplomatic" in Galcon tend to be akin to being courteous...which...I agree...is not necessarily manipulation at all.

Page 1 / 2 1   2 

You must sign in to post.