Galcon 2 Fan-Premier Launch for PC/Mac/Linux/Android! Now anyone can check out Galcon 2!
:: Community ::
ForumsMessagesGroupsChat (1)Friends

Forums :: Dynamite Jack :: Community Maps :: My first and humble map - What are your opinions?

You must sign in to post.

Page 1 / 1 1 

My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 7, 2012 @ 4:05pm

marcos_zy

Hello everyone! :)

I finished yesterday my first map on Dynamite Jack. It's called "(XboxPlus) A cave to walk", and below is a gameplay trailer of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6kHgR5nt8&hd=1 

I would be very grateful in to hear your opinions. This is my first map. I tried to test somethings on it, and I know it is far to be a good map. But, I'm learning. :)

Any feedback would be great! :D
post updated on Aug 7, 2012 @ 4:06pm
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 8, 2012 @ 2:48am

major-pob

Hi marcos_zy!

And first, welcome to the Dynamite Jack mapmakers community!  =)

I played your map and here's some thoughts about it. I'm sorry they are criticisms, but for a first map it's normal that some things may be improved. I hope you won't take it bad, but as you're asking for feedback and advice, I think you won't. Here we go:

- No rooms: the complete lack of room structure in your level gives a feeling of "unfinished", without challenge requiring the player to think before acting. Guards are too easy to kill, since you can bomb and run without restraints. I didn't even take time to study where were the guards and what was their patrol path before blowing them.
For the same reason, the level is too straightforward: kill guards, blow the blue tech, get the green key if you want to get the cartridges, and exit. Once you've located things, it's easy to speed-run and complete the level without much thinking or skill. (By the way, putting two cartridges side by side is useless, use one by "challenge".)
A wide open space can be used in a map, but I think it must not be all about it: even in this wide area, create rooms that introduce challenges and create a sequence of things you have to do to complete the level. And don't use too wide spaces, pointless walk is boring.

- Color techs: these structures are mainly intended to be remote locks you must collect to open a door, or can be used to create large portions of walls disappearing at once. In your level, white tech liberates zombies, but you don't have to blow it to advance in the level, so the whole thing is pointless.
Red tech contains crystals, but apart from the fact that it creates an open space where guards could spot you if you didn't kill them before, a classic room would have be enough. 
The only useful tech here is the blue one, but it's too easy to blow. And the pattern of blue gates is really weird: they're supposed to be technological doors, so a wide diagonal line of blue doors before a rock wall is not "flavor". I think a solid black wall with a single blue tech door square would have been better, and behind the door, no rock.

- Floor textures: the patchwork of textures is puzzling. You tell us we're in a cave, which could explain the wide area, but the floor is a mix of plastic dots, tiles, and wood, with no reason (for example, one could have built a wood room in a cave to stock something), and not even straight limits. This can seem a detail, but for players who like flavor and aesthetics, it's a flaw.

Hope that helps!  =)
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 8, 2012 @ 4:59am

marcos_zy

Hello major-pob,

Fantastic! I loved your comments. Thanks for your time and informations. Really, I have much to improve, and I will. :)

I love Dynamite Jack. I'll start to create another maps and follow your advices and suggestions. I'll also save them in a doc, because they will be certainly very useful.

I saw some fantastic maps created by the community, and it's really great. Thanks for your kindness! :)
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 8, 2012 @ 5:55am

major-pob

You're welcome! =)

I love DJ too, and thanks to the editor Phil had the genius to include in his game, fueled by the creativity of all of us, community maps provide a neverending source of fun! There are just a few things to keep in mind to create maps as interesting and fun as possible.

You could also read this very good topic by sixohsix:
http://www.galcon.com/forums/47/50/6613/?cur=0#112394 

Waiting to play your next map!
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 9, 2012 @ 12:51pm

marcos_zy

Many thanks. Really, with the map editor, Dynamite Jack becomes even more funny and great.

Thanks for the thread you suggested. And, I'll start to create another map and share with the community. :)
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 2:41pm

marcos_zy

Hello,

I just started creating my second map. I'll try to finish it in a few days. Hope this be a better map.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg609/marcos_zy/c5f3bc66.jpg
post updated on Aug 10, 2012 @ 2:41pm
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 3:26pm

major-pob

It looks interesting, I'll test it once you've shared it! =)
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:22pm

marcos_zy

Thanks. :)
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 10, 2012 @ 11:38pm

dart

Heh the first map, scary music in a place that looks like a ghost town, good call. [;)

P.S. if you want to try my map it's "nuclear powerhouse" [:)
post updated on Aug 11, 2012 @ 4:10pm
Re: My first and humble map - What are your opinions? :: Aug 13, 2012 @ 6:07pm

marcos_zy

Hi,

I just shared my second map: "there and back again". :)

http://www.galcon.com/forums/47/53/6730/?cur=0#113982 

And, dart, your map is very funny. :)

Page 1 / 1 1 

You must sign in to post.