August 22nd, 2014
Ahoy there, new beta available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. iOS TestFlight builds will be available shortly.
A smaller update today. A few miscellaneous bug fixes and another overhaul of the ZeroLag system. I’ve added a few more auto-corrections and removed the planet-takeover prediction. The main reason for this update being so soon is that I felt the previous build wasn’t working very well at all with planets changing ownership unexpectedly and surrenders not appearing to work.
At this point I think the game is heading towards a wider release in the near future. Not quite sure how near, as I’ve still got a fair amount of things to do to get the game there, but soon I hope to get more players in so the game can start developing a community!
Thanks! As always, please leave feedback in the forums.
P.S. I’ll be online for about an hour if anyone wants to give it a whirl.
August 19th, 2014
Hey, got another beta ready today! Backers can get it for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. iOS build will be sent out via TestFlight shortly.
beta32 has some 50 bug fixes and improvements. Here are the highlights:
– Major optimization to the ZeroLag code, fixing the “jerky ships” on iOS and Android.
– Several UI changes: right-click sends on down (desktop), an extra finger tap in space cancels all commands (mobile). Made right-click in empty space have no effect (desktop). Improved single fleet selection.
– Major improvements to the ZeroLag code, fixing inaccurate initial fleet sizes on short attacks, also removal of wait on server confirmation for planet ownership changes (makes initial neutral attacks instantaneous.)
– Added an application system whereby people can apply to join a clan. Clan chiefs can reject or invite those players.
– Customized game wins count towards your XP in sectors. 4 player symmetrical maps are mirrored now. In-lobby indication of map size now shown with an icon.
iOS users – once a year Apple lets me reset my beta testers list. I’m completely resetting the list, so even if you have been getting betas, you need to sign up again. Please go to the forums for the details.
P.S. I’m not sure when I’m going to be online over the next day or so, but I’ll definitely be around sometimes! As always, stop by the forums and leave some feedback!
August 9th, 2014
I’ve got a new build out today. Backers can get it for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. iOS builds will be sent out via TestFlight shortly.
There were over 50 changes this time. Here are a few major updates:
– Added sector customization feature for admins. Including symmetrical maps for free-for-all games.
– Added support for different sized games. In settings you can chose to join “standard” or “phone” sized games.
– Added ability for players to create custom games and be an admin of their own server (no tournament required.)
Check out this custom 200 planet map!
On the minor side of things, I fixed a ton of minor bugs and minor UI tweaks and improvements. Some notable ones are:
– UI changes to prevent accidentally double-tap-select-all from happening.
– Properly pausing the audio when the music is muted which saves 10-20% energy on mobile devices.
– Overhaul of team auto-balancing.
– Post game stats page showing the winners.
Check it out! I’ll be online for a bit if anyone wants to play / chat about Galcon 2.
July 31st, 2014
Hey, thanks to everyone for all the feedback on beta29, I’ve put together a beta30 with a whole mess of bug fixes. If there is a bug you reported that is still not fixed, please report it again! Backers can get the update here for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. iOS coming via TestFlight shortly.
Besides bugfixes, I’ve done a bunch of minor UI improvements. I’ve also added indication in the lobby if a player has chat turned off. I’ve also re-introduced the CanCan feature from past Galcons!
Again, I’ve reset all the coins, rankings, etc. I’ve been cleaning up a fair amount of stuff in the database, and this makes it so I can see if things are working right now. The coins you have in-game are not the coins you paid for.
I’m going to be online for a little while *now* so if anyone wants to check it out with me, please stop by.
P.S. Please leave feedback in the forums!
July 25th, 2014
Ahoy again! Another exciting update is ready to check out. Backers can download it for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. iOS version will be in email (sorry to people who signed up late for TestFlight, I’m out of slots.)
Tonight at 8pm MST I’ll be hosting the beta29 Tournament. Try to join in!
Following are the highlights from over 100 changes in the game, overhauling just about everything.
I decided to do some serious re-working on how the client and server interact, and I’ve updated the game to simulate zero lag when you play. It makes the game much more responsive!
I’m excited to introduce this new feature – whenever a player makes an in-app-purchase, they will be given a cache of bonus coins. After a good match, tap the “Good Game” button to award some of these coins to the players.
I’ve added in documentation for all the nitty gritty of Galcon 2 right into the game. Find out how betting works and what chat commands are available.
Get ready to start building the worlds largest trophy cabinet! The trophy vault allows for multiple levels, so there’s no limit to how many trophies you can showcase.
In most game times, players can now drop-in mid-game and join the action. Once a server is full, or in a tournament, or with active bets, drop-ins are no longer allowed.
I’ve consolidated “Progress” and “Experience” to a single “XP” stat to earn stars. The flags don’t decay and are used for match-making. Lastly the wings never decay.
There are dozens and dozens of more things. Here’s a few more bullet points:
– Tournaments – multiple admins, multiple servers, cross-server approvals
– Chat bug fixes – Multiple tab completion, iOS fixes “.commands”
– Lobby improvements – UI, icons, smarter timer, away/play spam lock
– Store – 30 day and Forever purchases. Sectors now free.
– iOS – fixed crash on resume, fixed some orientation bugs
Thanks for all the feedback, it’s been a huge help in figuring out what needs to get done to Galcon 2 to ready it for launch! I’m hoping to get this into open beta very soon now!
As always, please leave some feedback on the forums!
P.S. I’ve reset the stats, inventory, coins again. I’ve given coins to everyone who has an account. These are not the coins you purchased yet.
July 12th, 2014
Ahoy there! Get your latest build of Galcon 2 for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. iOS build will come via e-mail to people who signed up. These builds are available to backers only.
The tournament will be at 1pm-4pm MST on Saturday July 12th. I recommend showing up an hour early and just checking out the game beforehand. I’m going to be moving towards an open beta pretty soon, so we’ll have more players online regularly then, but for now, this tournament is your best bet!
Please leave some feedback in the forums after you play the game! For a detailed change log, see the previous update.
Hope to see you there!!
July 7th, 2014
Hi there! This week we’re going to do a scheduled Galcon 2 tournament to ensure that more people can get together and play the game. The tournament will be at 1pm-4pm MST on Saturday July 12th. I recommend showing up an hour early and just checking out the game beforehand.
I’m going to be sending out a new beta prior to the tournament with lots of changes from the last beta. There was some pretty heavy discussion in the forums as to what the launch version of Galcon 2 should look like, and I got Nanno to help me figure out which requests related best to the things people have been asking about during the beta. I’ve done a bunch of work to get those key features added into the game.
Just to give a preview of the beta, here’s a list of the major things changed from my change log. There are over 100 changes since the last beta.
– added new standoff-timer
– added in the good bot and bot-skill matching after a few rounds
– have MORE planets by default
– fixed teams such that you can’t team swap, added auto-balance
– added delay between rounds
– vertical split of lobby screen on landscape views
– added clan name into lobby list of players
Server List Changes
– add in auto-match feature instead of server list of public servers
– allow modded servers to work again
– have in-store preview of planet surfaces
– have in-store screen tell you how many days left of a cosmetic
– removed classes and just have sectors
– censor filter feature
– have game skip login page if a login already exists
– fixed: macs / starting up the game and swapping in and out of fullscreen causes screen to go black
– added more tab-completion keywords
– created fancy trophy widget
Anyway, no new beta today, but keep an eye out for the next update to download it and check it out. Very soon I hope to put the game out as an “open beta” so anyone can play and we’ll have people online more regularly
June 14th, 2014
Ahoy there, as of this afternoon, Galcon 2 is now “feature complete” meaning I’ve got all the features into the game that I’m planning on adding before release. I may be adding a few more minor features, and I’m definitely doing a good handful of bug fixing, but we’re getting there!
Here’s the links to play it for Windows, Mac, Linux. (Kickstarter backers only.)
Mike Berg of We Heart Games has been working hard to finish up the art for Galcon 2. In this update you’ll see mountains of new icons, ranking flag overhaul, and new sector and class images.
And I’ve been working hard on getting the tournament system working! I’ve got a ton of great features in it, including trophies, player approval, multiple servers, muting spectators. It should be a ton of fun!
I’m going to be online hanging out in a tournament for the next hour so if anyone wants to pop in and play a few games, that’d be great!
I’ve also given you all enough Galcoins so you can create a clan and create a tournament and test it out for yourselves too. Keep in mind that at the end of the beta, all Galcoins are going to be reset. These Galcoins are not the Galcoins you paid for in the Kickstarter, so don’t worry about spending them to test things out.
P.S. As always, please leave some feedback on the forums!
April 24th, 2014
Ahoy there! It’s been a while, but we’ve got a new update (beta26)! Check it out for Windows, Mac, Linux. (Sorry iOS / Android, not this week.)
So I’m pleased to announce that I’m working with Mike Berg of We Heart Games to overhaul the UI and art within Galcon 2! He’s been doing an amazing job, and while it’s not yet finished (…see all those Galcon Fusion icons I’m using everywhere…) I couldn’t wait any longer to show you the progress!
The galaxy server:
I also fixed about a dozen server issues you helped me find in the previous beta! I’m going to be online for the next hour if anyone wants to hangout and bask in the glow of the new interface look with me.
April 9th, 2014
I just launched a new game, BREAKFINITY, on the iOS App Store!
Anyway, it’s a free game, so go check it out!
P.S. Galcon 2 is very much in the works. I just signed with an artist to help me get it looking sharp, I should have some pictures soon!